The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

I think it safe to say that school was the lowlight of my school career.     

Promised myself that I would never say "School days, best days of your life!" to my children.   And I never did!

Same. 

Nature knows best and determined that (to the best of my knowledge) I am not responsible for any offspring.  Therefore I have never been in the position of making false claims about school days.  

5 hours ago, PeterBB said:

In my home area three schools operated on a Saturday, the only relif being at the end of term where house points were allocated 'minutes' to start pm on Friday, so the top performing house members went home at 1400 hours

Never come across that system.  Saturday mornings were for detention over and above what they could legally keep you in for after 4pm on Fridays, and for the "Third Year Sixth" namely those select few who were in line for an Open Exhibition at Cambridge (or Oxford if you must, but School preferred Cambridge) and who were required to undertake a little more study before "going up".  Otherwise it was strictly a Monday to Friday event.  

There were no pre-4pm pass-outs even for good work and you could be kept back on the slightest excuse - sometimes just because one of the staff arbitrarily didn't like the length or cut of your hair, your shoes weren't shiny enough or your tie was tied too low and your top button was visible.   

4 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

A-Level Greek was offered - I think 3 out of around 150 choose it.

Likewise; a very few students - those who were clever at Latin - were offered it in the "General Studies" periods when others among us took a twice-weekly delve into other more popular areas which were limited to languages or advanced / applied maths which were not in the main curriculum.  Mine were Spanish and German.  I still speak a smattering of both.  Those who took Greek were also those in line to study Classics or Greats at Oxbridge.  

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Seconded!  Going on to higher education revealed a different world though.

Not least because I had come through an all-boys grammar school where it was a Cardinal Sin to be caught by any member of staff during the evenings or weekends (i.e. nominally your own time) out with a member of the opposite sex.   More than one of our number was formally disciplined in school for the "crime" of being caught canoodling under the pier when he "should have been at home preparing his work for the next day".  

And also because, having been freed from the yoke of that all-boys and very much Victorian school-masterly dictatorial environment suddenly I was in mixed company in lectures and socially.  That was a very different world to me.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Anyway, you may recall how much Puppers loves HP printers.

Enjoy (and join me in my hatred) ........

Unbelievable.  Crooked Robbin' Barstewards 🤬

Bear here......

Wall filled; Wall sanded.  Big Tick.  There may be the odd titchy bit that'll need another splurge of filler, but nottalot.  Happy Bear.

In other news.....

Bear received two "Very good" used muddlin' books from "World of Books" via the 'bay.  Sadly the dumbf. sent them packaged in just a polythene bag - which of course doesn't add much protection to book corners when Postie Pat puts them thru' the letterbox 🤬  Fortunately the book were both softback so damage was very minor - fortunately.  A certain Bear won't be so gentle when it comes to adding Feedback.  T0ssers.  Yep, Rant.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

On languages, the theory of my school was that I was quite adept at languages but this was not true; I was quite adept at exams, which is not the same thing.

Bear asked a retired Chemistry Teacher how those currently at school can manage so many exams; when a certain Bear was at school it was around five subjects.  He said that when Bear was at school they taught the subject, but now the emphasis seems to be teaching them to pass the exam. 

Insofar as History is concerned, we had a teacher that was totally obsessed with Ancient Egypt - like we actually gave a sh...

I would've been far more interested (and I suspect the rest of the class would've been as well) if we'd done the 1st & 2nd World Wars.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I did 'modern history', so WW2/dictators featured large.  The teacher was Head of History, and constantly rude about Italians, having fought in the desert.  Nowadays one reads that they fought well and it wasn't true about the tanks with 10 reverse gears, but not to listen to him!  Hated it at the time, it would have been about O level time when I suddenly found such subjects interesting, maybe a bit late in maturing there! 

Sciences were always my thing, Physics in particular.  I had read and absorbed the texts each year by the second week of term.  Didn't need to revise....this carried on into college, having in our finals achieved the highest mark of the year in Electrotechnology.  No prizes then though!

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear asked a retired Chemistry Teacher how those currently at school can manage so many exams; when a certain Bear was at school it was around five subjects.  He said that when Bear was at school they taught the subject, but now the emphasis seems to be teaching them to pass the exam. 

Insofar as History is concerned, we had a teacher that was totally obsessed with Ancient Egypt - like we actually gave a sh...

I would've been far more interested (and I suspect the rest of the class would've been as well) if we'd done the 1st & 2nd World Wars.

These days there are those who think too much emphasis is placed on the fisrt and particulrly the second WW rather than history of other nations and their heroes.

Also tend to agree with the chemistry teacher the 'teaching subject rather than to pass exams' seems to be the current method plus of course ''everybody can do their own research'.That is as maybe but difficult if they are not taught properly to read and write first so that they can research and record appropriately.

Began to sound a bit like a rant but when you have to teach 16 plus year olds how to read and write how on earth do they progress.

Wider family wise there is a member with a pension who, for other reasons, can still not read or write nd for whom I'm told the initial school did basically very little.  As they were not sporty either ...

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

My geography, and later geology (I've maintained a lifelong passing interest in this) teacher had done National Service in Aden, so when we were taught how dunes form initially around objects in the way of the wind-blown sand, the object was a dead ay rab.  He'd apparently actually witnessed this.  I got on rather well with him though some of the other teachers were snooty about his red-brick (Keele) degree, and when I failed the Geology A level (which he was surprised at, though I was a cinch for it) he offered to use various contacts to get me 2 years as a lab assistant with the British Antarctic Survey. 

I should have taken him up on it; I wouldn't have had much more to do than clean up the test tubes, prepare penguins for dissection and such, and catalogue things, and not have to go out in the cold and Captain Scott it.  The terms were about 3 times the salary I could reasonably manage at home, flights home once a year for 2 weeks leave, twice a year to Cape Town for r & r, and your bar tab deducted from salary, paid in lump sum at the end of the tour. I'd have come home with enough cash to buy a house to live in and another to let out to pay the bills for the first, set up for life at 20, unless I'd become an alcoholic which was not apparently uncommon with bar tabs and long winters hunkered down with nowt to do on the Survey.  Of course, I wanted to drink beer and go dancing with girls, but my life might have been different if I'd gone down there!  Regretted it within a very few years afterwards.  I should have done more drinking beer and dancing with girls at least...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

The teacher was Head of History, and constantly rude about Italians, having fought in the desert.  Nowadays one reads that they fought well and it wasn't true about the tanks with 10 reverse gears, but not to listen to him! 

The British Army’s Austin Champ had as many reverse gears as forward gears, and could travel equally fast in either direction:

https://heritage4x4.nl/en/car/austin-champ-from-1954-2/

Edited by pH
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

The only result for me was I still know quite a bit about the history of playings cards after being discovered playing a card game on the back row of a Physics lesson.  I got a BP for that and copied out the relevant entry from the Encyclopedia  Britannica in the library. 

The punishment of ‘lines’ was the same as shown in the introduction to ‘The Simpsons”, where Bart is shown copying out “I must not …” multiple times. People were known to tape several pens together to produce several lines in one pass across the page.

One teacher thought the punishment should be more useful than that, and specified that text from a book should be copied. This resulted in lines being written containing three words per line.

So it was specified that the requisite number of lines, as printed in the book, should be copied. Cue copying of a table of contents multiple times - it hadn’t been stated that text couldn’t be duplicated. That was forbidden.

That started a search in the specified book for short lines - last ones in paragraphs for example - which were copied individually. So ‘continuous lines of text in the book’ was then required.

Etc.

Edited by pH
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

Getting home at sunset now. This is Tryfan taken from the A5 going towards Bangor.

image.jpeg.5c327c59a0f1fd90af1dbe8da6d2ba06.jpeg
“One does not simply walk into Mordor”

Fortunately the A5 can be used…

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

Dr. Strangelove was worried about a "mine" gap.

Apparently NORAD has a "domain awareness gap".

CNN: Pentagon says it had ‘an awareness gap’ that led to failure to detect 3 Chinese balloons under Trump

Makes me wonder if all the fuss over transferring USAF Space Command to the US Space Force led to some tribal communications issues in what would have been purely a USAF issue - now a detection gap <100km in altitude. (>100km is unified US Space Command.)

I won't go into the inane politics already going on but this one is going to be very popcorn-worthy.

MIND THE GAP 😉

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This was in turn the cause of various parties, pairings-up, and one baby, who we all considered a joint effort and were all very proud of. 

Er......you might want to re-word that one.  Or not.....😲

1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Began to sound a bit like a rant but when you have to teach 16 plus year olds how to read and write how on earth do they progress.

Bear recalls an article several years ago reporting that it's not uncommon for Primary School (not pre-School) Teachers to receive kids that aren't even toilet trained...

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

.........he offered to use various contacts to get me 2 years as a lab assistant with the British Antarctic Survey. 

I should have taken him up on it; I wouldn't have had much more to do than clean up the test tubes, prepare penguins for dissection and such, and catalogue things, and not have to go out in the cold and Captain Scott it.  The terms were about 3 times the salary I could reasonably manage at home, flights home once a year for 2 weeks leave, twice a year to Cape Town for r & r, and your bar tab deducted from salary, paid in lump sum at the end of the tour. I'd have come home with enough cash to buy a house to live in and another to let out to pay the bills for the first, set up for life at 20, unless I'd become an alcoholic which was not apparently uncommon with bar tabs and long winters hunkered down with nowt to do on the Survey.  Of course, I wanted to drink beer and go dancing with girls, but my life might have been different if I'd gone down there!  Regretted it within a very few years afterwards.  

At 16 a certain Bear was offered an Engineering Apprenticeship with BA, ultimately resulting in being an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.  And I turned it down - instead going to The Great(?) Empire.  Big, Big, Humongously Big mistake - and I knew it then.  It was the aggro (and very much the fear) of living away from home that did it; BA provided accommodation for the first (and second?) year, but after that there was a real risk of having to go looking for somewhere to rent etc.  Turdyturdyturdycurses.

• Friendly/supportive 19

Just now, monkeysarefun said:

some early-warning system we all seem to assume is in place ...

There is no such thing really. They're largely black against a black background - unless you get lucky and the sun lights them up a bit.

Reminds me of Hotblack Desiato's stuntship:

... the interior of the ship was completely black. There were black controls labelled in black, on a black background, with a little light that lit up black, which made it difficult to control the ship. The ceiling and walls of the swaying cabin were also black, as well as the seats, control panel, the instruments and the little screws that held them in place. The thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when a corner of the foam underlay was lifted up that was also discovered to be was black.

the ship was a stunt ship for the band Disaster Area, which was owned by Hotblack Desiato and was set on a collision course with a sun. The decor had been chosen in honour of its owner's sad, lamented, and tax-deductible condition.

Douglas Adams

• Like 18