RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear does hope so.....I have a Prescription Prepayment Certificate......

Bear here.....

Coving "ongoing".  Slowly.

Today's Din Dins featured.....wait for it.....all five of that magical(?) "five a day" - which must be a "first" (I suspect I rarely manage that in a day).  But fer chrissakes' don't go spreadin' it about - Bear has an image to protect.....

In other news.....

Why don't the Gov. give the "owners" six months to declare who actually owns a Building - and if they fail to do so they get a red warning that if they don't comply in another 3 months then they automatically lose ownership and it'll be seized?  Not hard, not difficult surely?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64536926

Bear gone.

I believe that's what the Communists did Bear only I don't think they bothered with the five month thing.

So Bears a commie hey!

A red under the bed!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

I've often wondered what happens to all those bullets that get fired into the sky from pistols, AK-47's and .50 M2 machine guns as part of traditional exuberant spirits and celebration in much of the world......

• Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

@New Haven Neil yep my cortisone injection is a bust too. There must be something better for bursitis than a cortisone injection and some exercises.

Wills, power of attorney all sorted ages ago. List of passwords.. done. Accounts .. available to both Herbert's so hopefullall should be OK for tidying oyr estate up.

No news from little sis.. which is a tad worrying but she did say she had to go to sort out some of the issues ASAP.

As for bullets in the air @jjb1970..what goes up.. must come down...

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

When I was in Saudi there was a wedding venue nearby one of the compounds that the Brits lived in...

Often shots would be fired.. AK 47 was common, you could buy one in town for £150 ish.

What comes down? A round through a plastic table outside, that a family was sitting around..

There had been representations to the authorities before. This time they listened and moved the wedding venue out into the desert.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I believe that's what the Communists did Bear only I don't think they bothered with the five month thing.

So Bears a commie hey!

A red under the bed!

Bear's just been outed by Comrade Winslow.  Turdycurses.

Bear here....

Coving still ongoing.....small Tick.

On the subject of writing down Passwords, obviously there are security implications in the event of a break-in etc. (or dishonest friend/relation - it does happen); many financial institutions such as Banks won't refund stolen money because they'll deem it was your fault for not protecting passwords etc.

In many cases there is no need for a relative to have Banking Passwords etc. in the event of death - a visit to the relevant Bank and they'll sort it.

Sadly there is little choice for many of us but to write passwords down though - remembering an RMWeb or Ebay password is easy enough because they probably get entered regularly, but for others perhaps only needed once a month or even less it's not so easy.

One way is to have three separate notes hidden in different locations around the house, as follows:

1.  Barclays

1.  Username:  Bear

1.  Password:   LDC123

- so only one piece of paper is useless.  And no, they're not my passwords - or my Bank......

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Baz beat me to it, but I do seem to recall that there have been occasions of folks being hit by the "coming down" ammo. Lower velocity so not as bad as standing in the direct line of fire but seems some of the yahoo element at firing ranges in the US have manage that sort of thing when acting like aresouls (spelling to avoid the dreaded censor).

Ah - you mean aerosols - spraying in all directions?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

image.png.ad98b00da9827219e05f93a241ab2328.png

If I had 50p for every time I failed a maths exam I’d have at least £7.80 by now.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I've often wondered what happens to all those bullets that get fired into the sky from pistols, AK-47's and .50 M2 machine guns as part of traditional exuberant spirits and celebration in much of the world......

47 minutes ago, Barry O said:

... As for bullets in the air @jjb1970..what goes up.. must come down...

31 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Baz beat me to it, but I do seem to recall that there have been occasions of folks being hit by the "coming down" ammo. Lower velocity so not as bad as standing in the direct line of fire ... 

... but can still be nasty or even fatal: https://science.howstuffworks.com/question281.htm 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Baz beat me to it, but I do seem to recall that there have been occasions of folks being hit by the "coming down" ammo. Lower velocity so not as bad as standing in the direct line of fire but seems some of the yahoo element at firing ranges in the US have manage that sort of thing when acting like aresouls (spelling to avoid the dreaded censor).

Chewsday, nothing much to report from yesterday other than a flurry of report updating for the client.

Otherwise, calm.

Going through my aging pictures I offer this one below, mostly because a similar picture of this vehicle parked in our cul-de-sac (sans human occupant) has stumped the WhatsApp group of remaining members of the 8 families. I'm going to post this, especially as one of the "younger" ones commented on the previous picture as "...has to be a dumb guest at #2 or #3...". We lived at #2 and I was visiting over Christmas '79, none have twigged, yet  😃

I give you, yours truly with the Avis Daimler Soverign I had rented after zipping across the Atlantic in Concorde - those were the days;

img012.jpg.fc3c4bf8d79534f1a1365a788e9eeb90.jpg

Weather maintaining an uptick, -1c and sunny first thing, +2c the high forecast. Starting to lose some snow cover and wet roads appearing from all the runoff.

Onward.

Didn't recognise you in that coat!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. And yet another do nothing day. Well not quite, I booked  a minibus on behalf of SEERS this morning. Fords at Dunton have a minibus that local organisations can use free of charge*. Its understandably very popular. *Return it with a quarter tank of fuel, no other cost involved. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

... one theory is that we should use space based mirrors to reflect solar rays onto an incoming meteor/comet and by burning off part of its mass, alter the trajectory so it misses the earth.

Such orbital mirrors are the plot device in a number of 007 films. The issue with such a thing (were it feasible, and I'm not so sure about that) is having it pointed not at asteroids but, by accident or malfeasance, the earth.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It is a small fraction of gun-related fatalities, but of course it happens.

Here's an old BBC story from 2011.

The Turkish bridegroom who killed three relatives at his wedding by firing an AK47 stands out.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Results of anti-aircraft fire can be similar to firing handguns into the air. I’ve read of kids in the UK collecting shrapnel off the streets after night raids in WW2.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is a small fraction of gun-related fatalities, but of course it happens.

Here's an old BBC story from 2011.

The Turkish bridegroom who killed three relatives at his wedding by firing an AK47 stands out.

From the article

As a result, a number of US states including California, Texas, Arizona and Ohio outlaw firing a gun into the air. In Minnesota, it is specifically forbidden in cemeteries.

@Ian Abel - Huh????

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

In Minnesota, it is specifically forbidden in cemeteries.

@Ian Abel - Huh????

Salutes over a grave?

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, pH said:

Results of anti-aircraft fire can be similar to firing handguns into the air. I’ve read of kids in the UK collecting shrapnel off the streets after night raids in WW2.

There are records of anti aircraft shells falling to earth and causing injuries and even death.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There are records of anti aircraft shells falling to earth and causing injuries and even death.

Depending on the type of fuse - air burst or not?

Edited by pH
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

16 minutes ago, pH said:

Salutes over a grave?

One imagines professionals do not use live rounds. Amateurs however ...

I regularly hear gunfire (from the firing range* at a local gun club). I notice it more when the weather is cloudy/raining. I would have thought that cloud would deaden the sound but my current hypothesis is that the gunfire reports bounce off the cloud. I don't notice the gunfire so much when the weather is clear. It's hard to imagine members rushing out the firing line whenever rain threatens (though I imagine it is sheltered to some extent).

* >2km away as the crow flies

The other day I heard what was unmistakably a short burst of fully automatic fire. (This is rare.) And what I presume was a tannerite** explosion.

** exploding target material with a well-earned reputation for starting wildfires. One assumes it would be safely used on the range - and there is little wildfire danger there.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11