The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The rain is still persisting down, all that can be said for it is that it is (relatively) warm rain. Just had a very nice ham sarnie. The ham is a brand called 'Jolly Hog', a bit expensive but no added water and tastes like ham.

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

... Woollen-GABBer are what’s often heard. 

Everyone knows it’s ... “The Gabba”, don’t they? 

It certainly is for the cricket ground and was for "the fiveways". It will be locally for the cross river rail with a station on the site of the old southside 'Gabba rail yards, though the new station name will officially be Woolloongabba - unlike the branch and yards which Queensland Railways spelled Wooloongabba - at variance with the Post Office.

Those who live in the area (my dad grew up there) would still put Woolloongabba on their addresses - my dad was fond of rattling off double you, double oh, double el, double oh, gee, a, double b a.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

My son and I took in the Barbie movie today. There is some wickedly funny satire there, though eventually I found it uneven and muddled toward the end. Director Greta Gerwig had some very heavy lifting keeping things 'light' with her chosen theme and finds her mark, albeit imperfectly (in my view).

Saturday Night Live alum Kate McKinnon outshines the main cast with her character in her scenes.

Today, Google is painting searches returning "Barbie" results with pink highlights, background and sparkles.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

Heading out to the movies today was met with disappointment. I had checked the show times late in the week and when my son and I arrived at the local multiplex cinema it was closed - apparently permanently, despite multiple online sources still posting show times for today.

The corporate website for the cinema chain has a notice saying the location closed on Thursday. Now, three of four cinemas (all in the same chain) that were within a 20 minute drive have closed.

I've been watching movies in that cinema for over 20 years. It was quite disappointing to see it close. My son and I watched the latest Indiana Jones movie there two weeks ago. Unlike the other two locations, which I knew ahead of time were closing, I had not heard this one was scheduled to close.

Google presently shows it as "less busy than usual"

image.png.3b3b5b115685c44c959a0970d33d65ec.png

No kidding. The doors are locked.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

The movie I want to see is Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan is a brilliant director (one of those who isn't afraid to do things differently and challenge his audience to think rather than spoon feeding them) and the subject matter is compelling.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The movie I want to see is Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan is a brilliant director (one of those who isn't afraid to do things differently and challenge his audience to think rather than spoon feeding them) and the subject matter is compelling.

My son and I plan to see it next week.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And very welcoming and attentive. Eight years ago I won two return tickets to Singapore with Singapore Airlines. I half expected to be treated somewhat offhandedly due to having a 'freebie' but far from it. We were almost treated like VIPs and the crew even knew that the reason for winning the competition was for saying why we would like to visit Singapore. They wanted to know what I had said and when I told them that it was because we had lived there when first married in 1969 and wanted to see where we had lived they thought that was terrific and a couple of them came to sit by us and chat about what we thought of their home country in those days. All in all it was a superb trip and I couldn't praise the airline too highly.

Dave

All things being equal I'd have Singapore Airlines as my default choice, they're an excellent airline, but their fares for flights to Europe for local customers are bonkers. And they're red hot about plugging any gaps for people to bypass local fares. My son managed to get on their UK website for long enough to find fares on the same flights I wanted to London for half the price they wanted in Singapore before being kicked out and directed to the Singapore website. However their fares for inter-Asian flights are competitive for locals and I use them a lot for flights within Asia (many of which are long haul, people in Europe tend not to realize just how big Asia is) and they're excellent. Even their flights to Bangkok, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta (2 - 3 hours) offer a meal service, full inflight entertainment and the same seating as long haul.

Asia has seen the same changes as Europe and North America with low cost carriers (LCCs) capturing a huge slice of the market and really pressuring legacy airlines. Airlines like Air Asia, Scoot, Vietjet, Citilink, Jetstar, Bamboo etc have huge fleets flying very extensive networks and if you can time it right and don't need any of the extras can cost peanuts. And while they're low cost and frugal they do LCCs much better than Europe, basic but there is still some ethos of service and they seem to sit somewhere halfway between legacy carriers and the European type of LCC.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 15

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

wickedly funny satire there, though eventually I found it uneven and muddled toward the end. Director Greta Gerwig had some very heavy lifting keeping things 'light' with her chosen theme and finds her mark, albeit imperfectly (in my view).

Apparently the internet recommended thing is to see Barbie and Oppenheimer on the same day...

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

If you need to borrow the Ferrari Flavio just say 😉      I have no use for it .....

Thanks Puppers, but I’ll stick with the 1956 Bentley, thank you very much.

Never was a “Boy Racer”, truth be told. Always been “sedate, sober, studious and sensible” as opposed to “vroom, vroom”

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

….I'd rather go out ino the empty bits of Northumberland where I sometimes don't see anyone for ages….

Paradoxically, I also like the solitude of empty countryside. I think that in both cases it’s because one is alone (in big cities I enjoy the solitude of anonymity).

I think that I am unusual inasmuch as I enjoy being by myself without the need for external distractions such as having the TV or radio on. I can also quite happily go for days without talking to anyone. Often, when Mrs iD and the Wolfpack are in the Holiday Hovel, apart from the people at the gym I don’t see anybody for days on end.

It does seem that there are two types of people: those who can define themselves and who they are internally; and those who must define themselves and who they are by what’s around them. Our late chum, ChrisF, was definitely in the latter camp - with Covid lockdown hitting him particularly badly.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For those interested in the Oppenheimer film (and I definitely fall into that esteemed category), can I also recommend a podcast from the “Rest is History”? It is an excellent two part introduction to the historical character.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rest-is-history/id1537788786?i=1000617838413

I’m sure that most people have come across this podcast series by now but I have to say that I find it hugely enjoyable. It is one of our default choices for long family car journeys (and if you are driving across Brazil, there are quite a few of those). The “Ten Worst Parties in History” is our acclaimed favourite. Well worth a few minutes of your time.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

… I like airlines which tip the hat to their own heritage. Singapore Airlines made the kebaya sarong their trademark, Malaysian Airlines and Garuda Indonesia have similar uniforms for their famale attendants. Vietnam Airlines uses the ao dai for female attendants which is very elegant, Air India female attendants wear a sari, I find it nicer than just another variation of the same bog standard uniform.

From my experience of flying hundreds of thousands of miles with BA, that’s certainly something you can’t accuse British Airways of doing. I remember the furore that erupted when BA did away with the Union Jack (Union Flag?) on the tail fin, replacing it with a red white and blue swirl and then replacing that with “international designs” (the beardy one certainly capitalised on that when he  declared his airline to be “Britain’s flag carrier” since the Virgin Atlantic aircraft still carried the flag).

It was during this period that I won a very nice leather Samsonite roller cabin bag for writing “the letter of the month” to Business Traveller  magazine (remember those and the accompanying prizes they handed out?). I had just completed two back-to-back trips: one with British Airways, one with Air France and I wrote to Business Traveller, pointing out that BA seemed to be rather embarrassed about being “British”, whilst Air France was proudly and resolutely Gallic - this distinction extending as far as the onboard catering with BA serving bland “Euro Food”* and Air France serving a very emphatically French menu (including “stinky cheese”)

Here’s an interesting take on BA’s mishaps: https://onlykutts.com/index.php/2022/11/17/britishless-british-airways-the-branding-folly/

* on the subject of British Airways food, I was chatting to one of the cabin crew on one of my regular LHR – SFO trips about the lack of proper British food on BA and the cabin crew member informed me that they did serve some “ proper British food“ but only in First Class and it was always the case that nearly all the first class passengers asked for the British food menu and was always the case that they never had enough “ British Food” meals on board for all the passengers that wanted British nosh (you would have thought tha BA would have listened to their First Class passengers…. Obviously not)

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1