RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I feel guilty because I was brought up always to be doing things during the day, evenings were when you sat and sometimes relaxed.

Don't be (easily said, I know).  Your body needs to recover so you CAN be doing things.

Off with their heads! - that's not doing nothing 👍

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

If City Hall can make any money out of it, they will!

It's unsurprising (and a bit mind-boggling) how many new things introduced by City Hall, The Council and the like, ostensibly for the benefit of those City Hall/The Council etc. purport to serve, turn out to be - quite coincidentally - nice little income generators....

p.s. I'm surprised they haven't brought back the Window Tax. Although windows (contrary to popular belief) aren't the biggest cause of heat loss in a house, they do loose a noticeable amount of heat. So a Window Tax could be passed off as a Green Tax: the more windows you have, the more heat you lose and the more energy you use, thus contributing to environmental change. Such a tax would be a nice little earner for the authorities and provide lots of employment opportunities to brickies as people line up to get their "extra windows" bricked up!

and a great revenue raiser from all the tower blocks. Imagine how much tax they could raise from the Shard!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

and a great revenue raiser from all the tower blocks. Imagine how much tax they could raise from the Shard!

I suspect the owners would just increase the rents. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

52 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The best sweet potato chips I've ever had was in a pub up in Townsville. They were slivered and curly, kind of like these.

https://www.hauteandhealthyliving.com/curly-sweet-potato-fries/

Serving suggestion - accompanied with a beer, sitting on the pub deck looking over the palm trees to Magnetic Island.

Magnetic Island attracts the gaze?

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

If City Hall can make any money out of it, they will!

It's unsurprising (and a bit mind-boggling) how many new things introduced by City Hall, The Council and the like, ostensibly for the benefit of those City Hall/The Council etc. purport to serve, turn out to be - quite coincidentally - nice little income generators....

A Buddy mentioned how many Police Officers and Minders accompany the Mayor of London when he goes Walkabout....it's almost as though everyone hates him......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, polybear said:

A Buddy mentioned how many Police Officers and Minders accompany the Mayor of London when he goes Walkabout....it's almost as though everyone hates him......

He manages to run a city significantly more populated than some countries in Europe. Got re-elected, 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

My favourite school library book when I was around 8 was about Dick Whittington and his cat. 

That's all I know  about the mayor of London.

Until the Flying Fox incident.

Anyway, I've seen you -  getting around the place.

Screenshot(131).png.7f155250b8c74fa40ad5dabff6d17931.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Got my car back after service, fixed warning light (turned out to be re exhaust gas re-circulation), new rear tyres, MOT.

Also they've corrected my email, which was why I didn't get their messages when it was in last year.

Actually, it was ready last thing last night - they emailed me 10 minutes before they closed but of course I couldn't get in in time and anyway I was too tired - went to bed after that, slept to midnight, mostly slept to 4a.m., got up for a little while at 6-something, then slept some more. In theory that means I'm now bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but not sure if that will last.

Now I need to think about replacing my phone, it seems to lack enough power to do anything significant, such as logging in to my bank (not that I want to use the app for the bank, but somethings such as stopping standing orders seem to need that).

• Friendly/supportive 19

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think he was a Lord Mayor of London. There is still one of those in addition to the Mayor of London. 

I think the Lord Mayor is of the City of London, more or less the Square Mile, elected by the guilds and corporation of the City. A Ceremonial position.

The Mayor of London is "in charge" of the Greater London region, elected by whoever can be arsed to vote for him (or her, one day we might get one), elected by tribal voting patterns.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

50% of the people in this house are Indian! Fortunately she does have a rather plain piece of paper saying she had British nationality. When we were at a Covid jab centre they were collecting ethnicity details. The woman on the desk asked Aditi about ethnicity and before she could reply said I assume you are British Asian. Aditi said the nearest one on the list was Asian - Indian. Aditi said although her nationality was British, she wasn’t born here so her ethnicity was what she felt was the correct answer. 

Tony

You have to be careful answeing  ethnicity questions.  I once boosted Enoch Powell statistics when the census asked for 'Place of birth of Mother'. I answered, Nina Taal, India, quite correctly. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My brother had trouble getting his first US Visa back in 1967. 

My brother’s first posting after finishing his technician apprenticeship with GEC was to Lagos , Nigeria. Just before he went, the Nigerian authorities (military government then)  had asked for all sorts of information for a random security check to make sure he wasn’t some sort of mercenary or agitator. The foreign travel bit was easy as he had only been on a 10 day coach holiday to Austria when he was 7 before that. 

• Like 18

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Having perused the article, and especially noting the video was from FAUX News, it should be considered rather more overblown that suggested. Simply, in my experience it's NOT "that bad".

Many locations that have the "swivel screen that options for a tip" are not just take-out but also dine in etc., so the single pay point doesn't mean everyone is expected to tip.

The last sentence, referencing "...finding a solution...", can also simply be addressed by paying wait-staff/servers a living wage - WHO'D HAVE GUESSED!!!

I happily tip where applicable, on the PRE-TAX amount, as I'm well aware of the pittance many establishments pay folks. It's somewhat self-serving though, since the pay is often low as a result of the expected TIPS making up a serious portion of the individuals wage.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7