RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Does 5G mobile telecom add anything to the user experience? Genuine question.  My new phone is 5G and my contract makes a big deal of standard 5G access. Despite all the marketing spin I have discerned no difference whatsoever in speed of apps and online services,  buffering, network access, stability or anything else compared to the 4G network of my previous phone.  The only difference is a tiny little  '5G' in the header part of the screen. Presumably  5G does something better but is it anything the user might notice?

If you'r part of the culture that streams everything on their phone, is heavily involved in social media, video calls and so on, I suppose that there is some extra bandwidth and speed benefit.

If you use it as a more or less conventional phone, for emails and texts, in other words "old fashioned" usage, than its probably a bit overkill.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

That's the thing,  I  watch videos on the train to/from work and if in places like airport lounges if not working and the 4G network allowed me to watch Netflix etc to my hearts content in superb quality with no buffering, freezing or drop out or anything. I am not a gamer but the boy is and he has never complained about bandwidth, latency or anything on 4G. I  am really struggling to identify any advantage.

I fall into the "old fashioned" category, and so even 4G is dangerously modern for me!  With the switching off of the 3G network in the UK (I suppose to free up bandwidth for 5G) its something we have to put up with...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Spider eviction involves an old plastic mug, and a thin sheet of plasticard in our house.

Toilet roll tube and sheet of scrap paper/card/other in our house.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, polybear said:

HMAS Melbourne damaged (and subsequently written off)

HMAS Melbourne was repaired and served as RAN flagship until it was decommissioned in 1982 - more than 10 years after the collision with USS Frank E. Evans. The RAN wanted to replace it with HMS Invincible, but HM's Government reneged on the offer to sell her, discovering that she was a more useful ship than they realized.

Cockatoo Island dockyards had plenty of experience by then in repairing Melbourne's bows.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

HMAS Melbourne was repaired and served as RAN flagship until it was decommissioned in 1982 - more than 10 years after the collision with USS Frank E. Evans. The RAN wanted to replace it with HMS Invincible, but HM's Government reneged on the offer to sell her, discovering that she was a more useful ship than they realized.

Cockatoo Island dockyards had plenty of experience by then in repairing her bows.

The light fleet carriers had remarkably long and storied careers given their genesis as cheap ships to bulk up numbers next to the more expensive fleet carriers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

From MSN:

A man banned his partner from farting in the house because he felt it is “unladylike”. Writing on the Reddit forum, a woman revealed that a huge argument arose with her boyfriend after she broke wind in the kitchen. “I feel like I should be able to fart in my own home without judgement,” she said. “Ah, women, we can finally vote, pay taxes, and purchase properties”, said LadBible, “but my god, some men can’t deal when you let out a little backdoor breeze”.

🤣🤣

• Funny 16