RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Are drivers unlike pilots no longer responsible for their own terrain avoidance?       If the bridge had been down for 9 years then surely "the Authorities" are more responsible?   Shouldn't they have put a barrier and signs up?     Might have been useful unlike 75% of the signage that proliferates these days.

Barriers that were normally placed across the bridge entrance were missing due to vandalism, according to the Charlotte Observer.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Please Sir.  I did look at it a number of times as I walked towards the Yamaha.  Does that count?

Let's see now.......

No!!

I have to say I'm not a supporter of "train station" although there is a certain degree of logic to it.   After all, buses stop at a bus station not a road station don't they?    And you go there to catch a train not a railway.

So what about those who refer to it as a "Choo Choo Station"?

Just askin' for a friend......

ION

I have mostly been wrestling with a front disc caliper today.   I think I can claim a points victory.  It is off of the bike.   the mounting pins have been removed as has the piston and seals.  The piston is badly pitted and the seals (as expected) are shot and so all will be replaced.  The only slight problem is the steel hydraulic pipe union that is rusted into the aluminium housing and the spanner hexagon  is now almost perfectly circular.     A job for another day then!

Could be a good time to put new seals in the master cylinder as well - they might just be as old as the bike.

54 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Tomorrow I have a six-month Dr. appointment, apparently 'required' so they can prescribe my rescue inhaler. Don't quite get the point, it's always "under control" and I only use it infrequently, though was placed in more frequent service during the severe smoke alerts this summer.

Anyway, forced to go every six months for a wellness check. Pah!

If Bear were cynical then I might just suspect it's so they can send you (or the insurance company) a Bill....

But I'm not, so I won't......🤣

• Like 15
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Our local logo is very informative.

IMG_0121.jpeg.42bc7f1cc809f4ba6d9bcbbe6f027ee4.jpeg

This route was once operated by the Midland Railway!

"TRENITALIA" !        Sounds more like gynaecology than a railway company!

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let's see now.......

No!!

I did wonder if Bear would have a view 🤣

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Could be a good time to put new seals in the master cylinder as well - they might just be as old as the bike.

We appear to be on the same wavelength Mr Bear.    And a new diaphragm and maybe even a new reservoir, plate,  cover and other items too

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

At out GP surgery we get an annual face to face review of any medications for chronic conditions. This is either with a nurse practitioner or the practice pharmacist. Some of my repeat medications have to be reviewed each time by a doctor but not face to face if they have a recent (within 12 weeks) blood test. Aditi is due for a review soon and I will attempt to remind her to ask if her asthma medication is adequate. Rather than admit it is worse she says it is because she had been in the garden or it’s my car air con or other similar excuses. 

Fortunately I'm still under two hospitals so I don't have to rely on the GP for such ......      The hospitals appear to shout Jump!  The GP just says how high?

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I was going to S4um in High Wycombe

Hmm, now there's an idea.   I haven't been to the aforementioned event since it was at Leatherhead and I think the last time I went must have been 20+ years ago.    I wonder?  🤔

TTFNQ

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Hmm, now there's an idea.   I haven't been to the aforementioned event since it was at Leatherhead and I think the last time I went must have been 20+ years ago.    I wonder?  🤔

I'm going for the final bits to construct and for some advice.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I concur that once you get to languages using different alphabets (like Cyrillic), some level of Anglicization (or equivalent) is necessary. My point was more related to towns/provinces/countries that are relatively easily pronounced using a Roman alphabet - like Roma, Milano, Napoli, etc. Germany starts to get harder where towns like München are more difficult to interpret with an English language mindset. Yet there's no real 'need' to turn Braunschweig into Brunswick and is Bayern really too hard that we need to invent Bavaria?

Sometimes, there are reasons why names differ. In the case of Bavaria I searched for the etymology: quoting https://www.etymonline.com/word/bavaria "German Bayern, Medieval Latin Boiaria, named for the Boii, the ancient Celtic people who once lived there"

So it was the upper classes somewhere, who spoke mediaeval latin - maybe the church - wot named it.

And according to Wikipedia (so maybe untrue) "Braunschweig from Low German Brunswiek, local dialect: Bronswiek [ˈbrɔˑnsviːk])" - dialect variations across german-speaking areas are still very pronounced, but to me Brunswick sounds like a reasonable English attempt at the real name.

OTOH, I still remember my surprise at village names in Slovenia when I made a couple of day trips from Austria - looked as if there was a shortage of vowels, e.g. they call the city which is now in Italy but was part of the Habsburg empire 'Trst'.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Yes it is a stylised route map. Very stylised.  The “fingers” are supposed to point to Reading, Exeter, Weymouth, Alton and Portsmouth representing the limits of the operation; they converge in London which lies to the north-east of them all 

It's actually an ancient rune signifying "delay". 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

OTOH, I still remember my surprise at village names in Slovenia when I made a couple of day trips from Austria - looked as if there was a shortage of vowels, e.g. they call the city which is now in Italy but was part of the Habsburg empire 'Trst'.

Yes as I posted earlier with Srbija and Hrvatska, Slavic languages can use "r" as a pseudo vowel.  The Croat for a square or place (as in an address) is Trg, which I struggled to pronounce correctly according to a Croat I was teaching some English to.  My pronunciation  (probably close to terg) was it seems something rather rude.   

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Just as an illustration, this is a photograph of one of the most iconic British aeroplanes ever to grace our skies - it is not an "airplane".

Hunter.jpg.7952ebf057827cadee8754fca9b52e6b.jpg

As nice to fly as to look at.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

IWe were planning a short holiday in November, originally in Yorkshire. Probably go to Paris now, it will be cheaper. Flights from Southend start soon. 

Last week we had a stay in a very nice inn in Yorkshire for £129 B&B for two per night.

Dave

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Please Sir.  I did look at it a number of times as I walked towards the Yamaha.  Does that count?

'Fraid not. With current tales of muddling activity at Bear Towers (as yet unconfirmed) it appears likely that Puppers will be replacing Bear in the naughty corner with torture equipment supplied by CC Industrie GmbH.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PupCam said:

I have to say I'm not a supporter of "train station" although there is a certain degree of logic to it.   After all, buses stop at a bus station not a road station don't they?    And you go there to catch a train not a railway.

And what would you imagine happens at a work station ?

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Last week we had a stay in a very nice inn in Yorkshire for £129 B&B for two per night.

Dave

I should have been more specific than Yorkshire.  Aditi wants to revisit some of the early childhood  places she lived in, along with a visit to Harlow Carr. Harrogate isn’t cheap, probably due to the conference trade. This break planning has been erratic. Initially Aditi wanted to go to Vienna, but decided it might be better to go in spring, then she thought Paris would be nice, then had the nostalgia thing for Yorkshire. I am now thinking perhaps a nice walk on the sea wall at Canvey. At least there is a proper caff!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5