Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I also know 'DPU' as military camouflage clothing (disruptive pattern uniform - sometimes known as DPM, disruptive pattern material). Then data processing unit (IT). Not to mention point motors for shhh, you know whats, especially from a firm with connections to both Australia and Settle. 

Morning all. Grey and murky outside, we've got the tail end of Baz's fog and I had a broken night, so I'm not feeling enthusiastic about gettingamoveon with anything very much. We don't have a deep fat fryer, so can't do scallops ourselves but I've seen them on sale, either in chippies (as Baz said) or as the frozen, oven cook reheat variety which raises our Swiss correspondent's hackles. Someone with a bakery used to do potato farls which I liked. Plus one for leftover mashed potato being used as the cornerstone of bubble and squeak. 

Also a DPU is a Damp Proof Undercoat.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

There's "tattie scones" up here and very nice they are too

Potato bread and potato rolls are quite popular here.

They're not much different to regular bread - maybe a little 'starchier'. There are many, many recipes for potato rolls.

Growing up, a popular 'fancy' picnic food was a different kind of potato roll. It was a layer of cooled mashed potatoes with a filling (perhaps cream-cheese based - I don't remember) with green onions. It was formed like you would a Swiss roll cake and sliced to serve at room temperature. It was one of the dishes assigned to Mum to bring for the extended family Christmas dinner (lunchtime). It was always popular.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

We used to call them fritters.

We didn’t even have to specify that they were potato fritters, we couldn’t afford anything posh like spam.

I think the only fritters we had at home were apple fritters. At school, very rarely spam fritters appeared though spam more frequently appeared as the protein accompanying a salad. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I think the only fritters we had at home were apple fritters.

Apple fritters came up a while ago. A versatile term for several different preparations:

Does the word pikelet have currency in the UK? It is an Australian term for what would be "silver dollar pancakes" in the US.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That shouldn't happen if people would follow the rules of service writing in Joint Services Publication (JSP ) 101 which states that when using acronyms in a document the first use should follow the phrase written in full (as above) and thereafter used throughout the document.

Dave

Official documents also come with a glossary, I'm thinking more of emails that people dash off and send along the lines of: 

"Need to confirm with VVGFO  when the HHO will be able to connect via  RSG with the ADSO.  Suggest you use KKFD in first instance though be aware of  KOD. Perhaps involve UYT? Do CASSO still need the BBF data from there too? If so, talk to the guys at UFFS about getting it via MMN.

(Actual acronyms have been changed for reasons of national security.   Though since we apparently  now have so many people  down here who know all about US nuclear submarine capabilities, security seems a little bit quaint.)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Does the word pikelet have currency in the UK? It

Yes it is regional. Where I was brought up, a pikelet was what was called elsewhere a crumpet.  In some places a pikelet is a very thin crumpet. I have lived in Essex so long now I would describe them as crumpets. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Apple fritters came up a while ago.

Most milk bars/take away shops as well as selling plain  "Chicken and chips"  or "fish and chips" also upgrade them to a "Hawaiian Pack" with the addition of a banana fritter and a pineapple fritter.

Both are done as per potato scallops but use fruit.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

And there was me thinking it was the new modellers currency:

The Deltic Purchasing Unity - as in for example, the car broke down and it cost 3 DPUs for the spare parts.

WHAAAT??  Do away with the Deltic?  That'd be like doing away with the good 'ol British Pound and going over to the Euro.

• Like 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

We had those in the RAF; they were called (well, the polite version anyway) Buzzword Generators. I believe that they originated in the US Navy.

No, it wasn't that 😉 

Now what was it?  It's on the tip of my tongue .....

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That shouldn't happen if people would follow the rules of service writing in Joint Services Publication (JSP ) 101 which states that when using acronyms in a document the first use should follow the phrase written in full (as above) and thereafter used throughout the document.

True, but does require one to read the entire document and have a memory.   That generally ruled me out on two counts.    I've never been very good at RTFM 🤣

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Nah mate. Togs are what you wear when you go swimming. Could be boardies, Speedos/budgie smugglers, bikinis or a one piece - punters' choice there. A 'rashie' is different though. Not togs.

Nah mate.  Togs are what you wear to protect your arsx AND your elbows when riding motorcycles.     Why, only this morning I was fully togged up.        No budgies were smuggled at anytime!

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Also a DPU is a Damp Proof Undercoat.

I spent quite a lot of  time many years ago developing a Data Programming Unit but I'd better not say what for or I'd have to shoot you and nobody likes a mess.

ION

I dared to take the RD out for a run today after the "petrol pipe and carb furtling" activities of yesterday and met up with some former work colleagues who also happen to be bikers.     I'm pleased to say that the petrol pipes remained full of fuel at all times and the bike went well.   This afternoon I had a bit of a photo call for the three Amigos.

All Three - 1.jpg

Just wondering if I need a blue and a red one now?    I expect SWIMBO would say no!

Night All

Edited by PupCam
Formatting
  • Like 18

12 hours ago, pH said:

DPU means something else in some countries other than the UK. From a Union Pacific website:

DPU – Stands for Distributed Power Unit, a locomotive set capable of remote-control operation in conjunction with locomotive units at the train's head end. DPUs are placed in the middle or at the rear of heavy trains …

Here DPU refers to a small relocatable building or  put up either as a kind of granny flat for the relo's or on a minesite etc for workers. The full term is Dependent Persons Unit though for some reason they are just called a Donga.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Forget potato fritters/ banana/apple/spam......

We used to have corned beef fritters... a thing of great taste! Generally served with chips and red sauce. 

We had an excellent Bullsh1t Bingo sheet. We used it in meetings with other British Airports Authority staff and contractors. Once you got a "line" you had to form an understandable sentence with the words to gain your prize (generally a chocolate biscuit or kitkat).

Busy day today.. I dug up the last of our potato crop.. lots of red skinned potatoes.. could be time to find some frikadellan and have them mit pommes frites und chip sauce for tea one day this week?

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Apple fritters came up a while ago. A versatile term for several different preparations:

Does the word pikelet have currency in the UK? It is an Australian term for what would be "silver dollar pancakes" in the US.

I prefer baked apple in a (pastry) jacket. Take one Bramley apple, peel and core the apple then roll it in spices of choice, fill the centre with dried fruit, spices and demerara sugar, wrap in pastry and bake.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One of the French or  Italian majority areas? It would be something like Giftkuchen in a German speaking area…

I came upon that item on wikipedia some months ago when I was looking at pages related to the Valais/Wallis and thinking about sourdough. But no interest in the other questions., so did not attempt to answer earlier.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3