RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yesterday Classic FM played "In the Bleak Midwinter".  Obviously softening listeners up for a week today when they'll go all Christmas Music...

I was most surprised. In the past they have always made ‘a thing’ of not playing Christmas music until they launch their Christmas season on December 1st. 

… and that was still a week or two too early for my liking.

To be fair to them though, they always started with one every hour or so, gradually increasing the amount played as the day grew nearer.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian Abel said:

Today is also that rather idiotic of days "Black Friday", where everyone is enticed to buy yet another ….

I must admit I succumbed to temptation and made an online purchase today.  Six rolls of Modroc as I miscalculated and ran out yesterday. They weren’t offering anything off though, the cads.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

First off to have my haircut this morning. A friend cuts our hair; I usually go first and then my wife. I managed to escape to a nearby model ------- shop and came away with a couple of items...
One of our cars had its MOT/service also today. Needed a new screen washer pump  (so that's why the washer wasn't working). Also some front brake blocks. Oh, well, it's only £££.

• Friendly/supportive 19

47 minutes ago, BoD said:

I must admit I succumbed to temptation and made an online purchase today.  Six rolls of Modroc as I miscalculated and ran out yesterday. They weren’t offering anything off though, the cads.

I did alright, I got 6 litres of 3D printing resin for $20 more than I usually pay for 3, and because I'm in Prime it turns up today with free delivery.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Evening all. 

Just a few pics from this afternoon. 

IMG_5089.jpeg.643532c890489c01085bd1d9ad7d7f0d.jpeg

Is that Scillonian?

I have sailed on her only once*. It was a strange journey. The weather was not particularly bad but there was a swell  that .. err.. affected many people.  Apparently that swell is the result of a few thousand miles of unbroken Atlantic.  I guess I’m getting into the realms of teaching granny to suck eggs here. On the return journey, although the conditions were virtually the same, the swell didn’t affect anyone in the same way.

*  actually it was twice - we came back. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was going to go down to Tess Coes this afternoon but decided against it as apparently it's heaving (Black Friday?). I'll have to call in on my way back from the Brentwood toy fair tomorrow. It will probably still be heaving tomorrow but I'm almost right out of supplies, just enough for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

First mission of the day was to unpack, inspect n' test something green called a "37" - probably the most impressive packaging on any choo choo chug chug I've ever seen.  Huge Tick.

As for the item itself - stunning; certain red & blue box herberts could learn a lot.

But.....(isn't there always......)......

There were a couple of loose bits in the packing.  Poo.

The good news is they're clip-on parts, and they were loose because one of the securing clips had broken off, certainly during manufacture.  I could glue them in place, but one of the parts has a clear plastic lens and there's a real risk of glue sneaking where it shouldn't (or causing fogging).  So I fired off an email to the manufacturer (shhh. - Accurascale) and they replied in TWO minutes to say that a replacement part would be on it's way to Bear Towers just as soon as they are in stock.  Huge Tick.

As for the rest of the day, well that was yet more learnin'; getting started on the project itself didn't happen until quite late in the afternoon (attempt #457 I think.......).

BG

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

IIRC the Scillonian is a notoriously bad 'sea boat', due to her shallow draught required for the service she provides.  Having the swell astern rather than making way into it does make for a different motion, the worst is an off-quarter stern swell, gives a corkscrew motion that can sort the strong stomached out from the rest of humanity.

I am told much the same by those who cross regularly.  She is not fitted with stabilisers.  A bad "sea boat" but a very reliable old lady who can get across in as much as a Force 8 and sometimes a 9

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Winter has arrived here.  Doing the nightly rounds of cleaning litter trays, feeding cats, letting in those cats that should be in and letting out those who prefer to be out overnight etc, in my travels between the house and the grange it was noticeably snowing a fine snow.  I doubt it will settle, the ground still being a bit too warm but a couple of door mats have a light covering.  

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, PupCam said:

After lunch a thrash was thrashed on the RD.    Now the mixture has been richened by two needle notches it's going nicely and no sign of it cooking so that's  a big tick.

Meanwhile next door to you:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, apart from the two shopping trips I did this morning, I’ve not done much else today. The Trafford Centre was a lot busier than usual, but then I have seen it busier, I’m just glad it’s not like that all the time. But, I have enjoyed just sitting down and relaxing, I think I’m getting used to this retirement malarkey. 

This evening we had a very pleasant conversation with James, to confirm he’s able to join us on Sunday, when we meet up with Vickie, Ian and the kids, and Mike and Sarah for a curry. During our chat we arranged to visit him next month, for a pre Christmas meal at his house, so that’s something to look forward too. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

No doubt Prokofiev' Lt. Kije suite will be playing for Christmas. I find it funny that a musical satire of Czarist bureaucracy became a Christmas standard. Annoying too as it is a wonderful piece.  Prokofiev is one of my favourite composers, he had that ability to combine wonderful tunefulness with real musical depth. A composer whose music is very approachable and  'listenable' yet which rewards serious listening.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I did my Black Friday shopping this morning after housework. One newspaper, some hair stuff for Dayle, and a box of Shreddies.  I found that the Shreddies were redundant as there were two boxes in the pantry.

I think I've arranged a trip to the train shoppe for tomorrow. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I had a look around for Black Friday deals on cameras but most of the sales were doing that thing of advertising their normal discounted prices as special sale offers, at least for the stuff I was interested in. I am leaning towards sticking with Fujifilm and at least in this part of the world Fujifilm seems to exert a pricing control on dealers as they all offer the same prices, discounts and promotions, and unless it's a run out special prices aren't discounted by much. Canon, Sony and Nikon are all much more aggressive with promotions and discount offers out here.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2