The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Something I am noticing more is governments explicitly lying.

Governments and other organisations and individuals have always emphasised information which supports their views and spun things in self-serving ways and used omission in a way which amounts to dishonesty but until recently I found it very rare to identify deliberate actual lying in official fora. Now it no longer especially surprises me, which saddens me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On the Turner prize, I am probably the minority view but I like this year's winner and find it really rather powerful.

I find modern art very marmite. I  share the derisory views of much of it but every now and again I  see stuff I really like. 

A few years ago there was a Doris Salcedo exhibit called Shibboleth,  it was a giant crack on the turbine hall floor. The media went into over drive over that one, I went to see it to scoff and found it really rather compelling, invoking some rather deep thought within me.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Our tea bar is just biscuits, tea and coffee. But we have a couple of members who don't drink at the club. What they would think of increasing the fees to cover free tea and coffee I don't know.

Also our club is available 24 hours a day , with the actual club nights being Tuesday and Friday.

We have some members who come 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes most of the day, whereas some its just 1 evening.

Some might complain of the fairness of others having multiple cups of coffee and biscuits for free, against 30p for each muggacoffee and a biscuit.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

On the Turner prize, I am probably the minority view but I like this year's winner and find it really rather powerful.

I find modern art very marmite. I  share the derisory views of much of it but every now and again I  see stuff I really like. 

A few years ago there was a Doris Salcedo exhibit called Shibboleth,  it was a giant crack on the turbine hall floor. The media went into over drive over that one, I went to see it to scoff and found it really rather compelling, invoking some rather deep thought within me.

Not seen this year's winner but a number of years ago (well before the Lurker boys), Mrs Lurker was working at Channel 4 who were sponsors. They ran staff competitions with various attendance prizes. We were there the night Tracey Emin's Bed won (or at least was displayed). The following year, it was not opening night but stull before the hoi polloi were let in. One of the exhibits was a blob of blu-tac stuck on the wall with some comment on the permanence or lack of it in art. I couldn't restrain open laughter. We left shortly afterwards and we've not been back.

• Like 5
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning all.  

Wetness-day not yet living up to its name but it is, as usual, windy and the big yellow heater has yet to make an appearance aloft.  

Tasks today include packing and mailing something Dr. SWMBO has sold through Vinted, cleaning the kitchen and showering the Gwiwer.  None of which is unduly onerous although some may be relished more than others.  

Work is currently progressing on the book.  I am advised by a friend who has made a living as a printer, or "reprographics technician" as he styles himself, that 14pt not 16pt headings and 10pt rather than 11pt body would be better so the morning's burden is to adjust the text chunk by chunk without losing the formatting.  I am also swapping from my preferred Trebuchet to Helvetica again on the advice that it can be an easier font to read.  

Next month I have to learn the rudiments of Affinity Publisher 2 in order to convert electronic files into hard copy with a £-sign on the cover.  

Muggercoffy-the-First has been enjoyed.  His Furship is curled on the office chair from which he has a good view of the world outside.  Most things seem right with the world even though we know there is much that is wrong beyond the purview of the Distant (Signal) West.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was dark and rather chilly when I went out to put the bin bag and food caddy out. It is sunny now but not particularly warm. No news about my car but my phone app has informed me that it is located inside a building with its doors open and bonnet up so that suggests something is happening. As nothing seemed to happen yesterday apart from being moved about I am not sure if it will be ready for the planned midday collection. I did say I wasn’t particularly bothered about times though, especially if it meant not having to take it back next week. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A great day weatherwise with wall to wall blue sky, pity it's not going to last. A good night last night with only one call-out from bladder control and seven hours sleep in all. Plans for today are to remove the old rollalong from the car and see how the new one can be fitted in. Then there is the problem as to where to put the old one before it is disposed of.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Hroth said:

It'll probably then explode, showering the district with charred and urecognisable fragments!

As for the tiny fencing, how about suggesting it's there with a 2mm strip* of thin transparent plastic with the uprights inked in with a very fine fineliner?

* Only a little bigger than 1.3mm and slightly easier to cut without it turning into a curly thing....

You can bury and glue the bottom 0.7mm in/below the grass.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

If a Certain Bear were ever to discover a giant crack across the newly tiled kitchen floor at Bear Towers then I'm pretty sure that would invoke deep thought - none of which would be good, however...

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Back when I was working in Government still, there was a strict 'Corporate Image', 14 point bold tiles, 12 point text, in Ariel, no underlining (makes it harder to read) so and and so forth.  We were told (departmental managers) that this would be policed strictly, and to ensure we did stay exactly to the destructions there would be 'action taken' to transgressors.  

There was a nice leaflet sent out shortly afterwards from Corporate Services.....that had underlined titles, tiny text, and in some other font. No sign of any heads rolling, I think mine was the only department that took any notice.  This was not a surprise.....🤔

HMG have been known for being rather fussy when it comes to accepting documents - usually as a means to delay paying stage payments....

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Plans for today are to remove the old rollalong from the car and see how the new one can be fitted in. Then there is the problem as to where to put the old one before it is disposed of.

You need a shed....have a word with WB......

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PupCam said:

It's more than sad.  I would venture to suggest that it is criminal and those doing it should be immediately dismissed from office and banned from holding office again.    I suspect that if my suggestion was implemented though that there might be an empty "Big House"* up Westminster way up for let.

* Other Big Houses are also available

Unfortunately some of the examples I see aren't from mendacious politicians lying on the hoof to try and save their skin but quite calculated and clearly have official sanction, coming from civil servants in official fora.

One example was an official statement in a forum within which quite a few people knew a few simple tricks to check the statement. About 2 minutes not only told me the statement was untrue but provided multiple sources of information demonstrating it (and I'm no genius). The statement was repeated by multiple government delegations even after a neutral delegation who had the bizarre idea of checking whether what they'd been told was true pointed out it would seem difficult for the statement to be true when there was tracking and photographic evidence demonstrating exactly the opposite and shared the necessary information to verify its status. I asked our fearless fellow about it directly in private after the meeting and asked why he hadn't withdrawn or corrected his statement and was met with silence, nothing. There's no way they didn't know the true situation (whatever their faults, they're not stupid) and those briefs are prepared in advance and go through multiple layers of clearance.

This is bad in ethical terms alone, but an even bigger issue is that to a large part of the world (what the news now calls 'the global south') it just makes our lot seem untrustworthy, dishonest scheming (insert naughty word of choice) and makes it much more difficult to reach agreement. People may say 'what's changed?' as such discussions have always stretched the truth, which is fair to a point but at a certain level negotiation and international agreements can only happen if there is at least a certain degree of mutual confidence in what is said. Once people start lying, as opposed to spinning information it destroys that confidence. To alter a famous statement, it was worse than wrong, it was stupid.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

My My Rick!     If that's you modelling  on track, you seem to have changed somewhat since moving to the Distant Signal (West)!    

Not me, Sir!  I wear a hi-viz when on or about the tracks.  Not necessarily much else, mind, just the hi-viz 🤣

• Like 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

the River Stour in full flood at Wimborne.

And with another yellow warning of heavy rain tomorrow that isn't going to go downstream any time soon.  There's nowhere for tomorrow's rain to go except over fields, along roads and (with fingers firmly crossed that it doesn't) into homes. 

Moderate concern currently for Dr. SWMBO and for Friend (Australian) both travelling from London to here on Friday and both potentially facing flood-related disruption.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

There has been a change in our house, I was the family comedian, but SWMBO has just taken over the role, having just got out of the shower, I was told I was not going out to get the coal from the bunker with wet hair as it's -5 degrees "You've been told, I'm in charge, so just sit and do as you're told".................................Apparently me laughing so hard I was almost crying was not the required response, did make I laugh.......me doing as I'm told.........................

I agree with @Gwiwer.  My own experience was returning across the Yorkshire Moors at the end of a successful potholing trip.  Kitbag with ropes in it and a couple of ladders were slung across my shoulder as we plodded across the frozen moor, in the dark, and with a strong wind encouraging the snow to be horizontal.  On arrival back at the road and our parked cars, I found that the ladders had frozen to my wet hair.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16