The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl 

Before the MRC Ben had a good play bringing his hedgehog toy to be thrown for him and playing try and get it off me with SWMBO. He's definitely feeling better.

The journey to and from the MRC was enlivened by rats, I guess their homes have been flooded out so they are running across roads looking for a new home.

MRC well attended, got given £20 as our Dr loco had fixed someone's, er um.. loco for them. I'll add that to the cash tin tomorrow.

Planned work on unmentionable went well, too well, I knew something would go wrong.. trapped the soldering iron lead in the Landrover door right by the iron itself, while putting it away, not yet tested to see if its broke. Must build that box for it.

Two people pulled out of the MRC dinner tomorrow night. Both partners of members, one was double booked, the other has gone down with the lurgy.

Muggachoccy gone,

Good night Awl,

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went to Tess Coes this afternoon I decided to get some mince pies. I was looking specifically for the rum flavoured ones which I particularly like. They were on a top shelf but placed in such a way that the use by date was visible but the date was only a couple of days hence. Alongside them were boxes with a use by date of the 27/12/23 so I grabbed a box. It turned out that they were not the rum flavour ones but salted caramel which I loathe. I managed to forget a few things but I won't be doing any more shopping until Friday when I'll take them back to change them.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Shopping has been shopped and the cupboards are now full and thankfully when I got to the post office it was almost empty, just 3 customers in in front on me, which I regard as a win. After dinner, the picture frame was cut up and the re-assembled into its smaller form, it’s currently sat on my work table under clamps. Al being well, the print will be inserted tomorrow and then hung on the wall. 

Unfortunately Max was off school today, so he wasn’t able to call round, which was a little disappointing, but one of those things I suppose, given the time of year etc. 

This afternoon Sheila was given a time for her corneal transplant, 7:30am on 2 January 2024, so that’ll be an early start that day then. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Australian men had hot-weather business  and smart-casual attire sorted out way back and by the  '70's we were world leaders.

We've certainly gone backwards since those days.

ww96i6hygd4a1.jpg.b046c82a74160867f3a12bd9314ee371.jpg

sez9mzpabrda1.jpg.7d922b99846bd759e4d27f4aa94f9434.jpg

stubbies-1.jpg.e4ba0bb209b81354065b83b759d7a25f.jpg

Well, all of that does make for a change from socks and sandals! 🤣

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It turned out that they were not the rum flavour ones but salted caramel which I loathe.

How does a 'mince' pie become salted-caramel? Do they put it on top as a sauce? Salted-caramel chocolates, bread pudding, yes, sure, but mince pies?

Rum I comprehend. Spirits are a natural companion to dried fruit.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Australian men had hot-weather business  and smart-casual attire sorted out way back and by the  '70's we were world leaders.

We've certainly gone backwards since those days.

Dad went off to work looking mostly like the top two for years - the tie disappeared at some point.

What you don't have is the 1970s Safari suit - like this little number:
image.png.76a62fb516bb7ed593704799af4d319f.png

Available for sale here at this etsy store in Mullimbimby. (Shout out for the northern rivers!)

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

On Christmas treats not being right, a few years ago I decided to live the dream and bought a Christmas pudding at Waitrose which was more like a panettone than a Christmas pudding. I was outraged, it wasn't that I didn't like it, it was very nice as a sort of more moist and spiced panettone but it wasn't a Christmas pudding. It annoys me when companies do that, I only hope those responsible are consigned to the same pits of hades reserved for those who put a bit of puff pastry on top of a bowl of stew and call it a pie, sadly there is evil in this world.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BSW01 said:

This afternoon Sheila was given a time for her corneal transplant, 7:30am on 2 January 2024, so that’ll be an early start that day then. 

Reminder: go in on an empty stomach.

When I went to have my retina re-attached, the receiving nurse asked if I'd eaten anything; I said no.   She told me they'd had 3 patients already that had eaten breakfast, including a "full" breakfast.  I was into the operating room quite a bit sooner than the schedule.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

…I only hope those responsible are consigned to the same pits of hades reserved for those who put a bit of puff pastry on top of a bowl of stew and call it a pie, sadly there is evil in this world.

Sadly, I doubt it. Culinary Atrocities rarely get punished. “They Walk Amongst Us” is not just a great movie line…

The Pie, as we all know and love it (pastry top and bottom, assorted fillings) has been thoroughly debased, perverted and - dare I say it - bastardised by those sort of people who think that potato paste squeezed through brass dies into vats of cheap boiling oil and fried, dusted with synthetic flavourings and bagged as “snacks” Is A Good Idea.

Any pub that serves a “pie” that is nothing more than a pretentious stew with a hat of (usually) puff pastry does not merit our custom. Indeed, chances are the beer will be pretty grim as well (Hallo Mr Fizzy Lager).

This criminal state of affairs is not only due to a badly educated populace - ignorant of The Way Of The Pie, but also due to the venality of purveyors of cheap eats who - if you can’t microwave it or deep fry it - aren’t interested/can’t be bothered as it might cost them a little more time and money.

If we don’t fight back now, The Venerable Pie may end up like the Mass Produced Cornish Pasty: a cheap, tawdry, pastiche of an imitation that is a stain on the honour of a true Cornishman.

PPP: Gentlemen, PPP (Proper-Pie Power)!

Edited by iL Dottore
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

When I went to have my retina re-attached, the receiving nurse asked if I'd eaten anything; I said no.   She told me they'd had 3 patients already that had eaten breakfast, including a "full" breakfast.  I was into the operating room quite a bit sooner than the schedule.

I’m curious: were those patients actually instructed NOT to eat anything before surgery? Or were they just stupid or thought “they knew better”?

Depending on type of surgery (and the preference of the anaesthesiologist) you should not eat anything in the 8 hours before surgery or drink anything in the 2 hours before surgery.

There are a number of reasons for this (apart from the fact that’s no fun for the anaesthesiologist to get a lapful of vomitus) aspiration of vomitus into the lungs and contamination of the operating field being two major reasons (potential interactions with the drugs used in surgery being another).

I wonder how many NHS resources are wasted by patients not being properly instructed/ignoring instructions?

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went to Tess Coes this afternoon I decided to get some mince pies. I was looking specifically for the rum flavoured ones which I particularly like. They were on a top shelf but placed in such a way that the use by date was visible but the date was only a couple of days hence.

"Use By" date, or "Best Before Date?

I usually find that it'll be the latter - unless there's real cream involved (which Bear just doesn't do......) and can be ignored for, well, usually weeks after the due date without knowing any different.  It's all the chemicals n' pesticides ( © @iL Dottore) doing it's stuff, see.....

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Email sent at 02:21 this morning from student who asked should they come as they hadn't started yet.

Only another 134 working days before I can really say what I think. However there is a day long discussion of this sort of thing on 11th January so letting rip then looks to be an option. Last time I let rip I was applauded by staff colleagues.

02:21?  Just got in from the Pub.....

As for the 11th Jan Rant - it could be a Youtube sensation......

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Let Bear take a guess - BA Business Class, maybe 1st.

Return trip Dubai - LHR

Airmiles Calculator = Kerching........

"Climate Minister Graham Stuart flew back from the COP28 conference in Dubai to take part in a crunch Commons vote on the government's Rwanda bill.

Mr Stuart is due to return to the Dubai summit after the vote - a round trip of 6,824 miles."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67697193

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Turdycurses - woke up at about 4:20 and it doesn't feel like I:ve been back to sleep since.

Moaning awl.

Sounds familiar as the past night has been somewhat restless for me, too. I did make another grocery order when I was awake around 0400, though!

Not fully present mentally yet, so I'll try again later. Stay safe...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Let Bear take a guess - BA Business Class, maybe 1st.

Return trip Dubai - LHR

Airmiles Calculator = Kerching........

"Climate Minister Graham Stuart flew back from the COP28 conference in Dubai to take part in a crunch Commons vote on the government's Rwanda bill.

Mr Stuart is due to return to the Dubai summit after the vote - a round trip of 6,824 miles."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67697193

It won't stop him virtue signalling and trying to guilt trip people for killing the planet by flying for their annual holiday. The consultancy CE Delft (who are actually a capable and switched on outfit) did a splendid report highlighting ridiculous us of private jets by the virtuous great and good to attend some conference to lecture us all about the evils of climate change. John Kerry gets very defensive about his fondness for private jet travel.

I don't want to be a complete hypocrite as I fly a ridulous number of miles each year (90% to talk about climate change, go figure) but while I pontificate too much I try and avoid hectoring others too much. However even as a tree hugger who believes we have to decarbonize I completely get why politicians and billionaires flying around the world to lecture and point fingers rubs people the wrong way. 

• Like 18