RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

“GIFTED” is the latest word I’ve come across that is guaranteed to provoke a Victor Meldrewish apoplexy in anyone who cares about the English language.

OED

The earliest known use of the adjective gifted is in the mid 1600s.

OED's earliest evidence for gifted is from 1644, in Minutes Westm. Assembly

I don't have a subscription to check which meaning this is.

Etymology Online suggests:

gifted (adj.)

"talented, endowed by nature with some skill or power," 1640s, past-participle adjective from gift (v.). Related: Giftedness.

also from 1640s

My underline

EDIT:

I appreciate that the adjectival form (as a noun) is the one employed by Gary Larson in his immortal "Far Side" work:

image.png.bd054ac24757db7eb09fdb8594b1c13f.png

But I'd be surprised if gifted as a past tense verb doesn't have a long pedigree. Further trawling with better keywords found this NPR interview with the following reference:

At least since the 1500s you can go back and find examples of an earl gifting a church go to the town council house. So gift has been around as a verb for a long time, but there is something about it that seems new. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added cartoon and reference to gift as a verb
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, PupCam said:

I believe from my training many years ago that at one point someone proved that anything more complex than 10 lines of code could not be formerly "formally" proven to be correct in every circumstance. 

Formal proof technology has come a long way in the last couple of decades.

It is extensively used in hardware design but usually requires a lot of constraints to be effective. Formal property checking can be effective with software. It is a growing field.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

On every  OZ teenage boys wall in the 80's!

Can't hear Divinyls "I touch myself" without thinking of this:

The clip is cut before this bit:

"Wait Vanessa, I can explain. You see, I was looking for Dr. Evil when the Fembots came out and smoke started coming out of their jubblies. So I started to work my mojo, to counter their mojo; we got cross-mojulation, and their heads started exploding."

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

There are two points in grammar that currently grate on me.

One is in the "plink, plank, plunk" verbs where the pp is used as the past.  With the current events in the Middle East, I keep reading "The ship sunk".

Another is the disappearance of participles.  A container with multiple DVDs in it is called a "box set" when it should be "boxed set" And a certain kitchen apparatus is being called a "fry pan".

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, BR60103 said:

Another is the disappearance of participles.  A container with multiple DVDs in it is called a "box set" when it should be "boxed set" And a certain kitchen apparatus is being called a "fry pan".

Like roast beef? 😃

I note the advent of the death of adverbs - extensively used in advertising to punch up the copy - like "Eat healthy" rather than "eat healthily". My reaction is "eat healthy what exactly?".

Similar to "Eat Fresh" (the old Subway slogan).

My guess is that adverbial form (particularly -ly) will disappear- despite the best efforts of Tom Lehrer.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Like roast beef? 😃

I note the advent of the death of adverbs - extensively used in advertising to punch up the copy - like "Eat healthy" rather than "eat healthily". My reaction is "eat healthy what exactly?".

Similar to "Eat Fresh" (the old Subway slogan).

My guess is that adverbial form (particularly -ly) will disappear- despite the best efforts of Tom Lehrer.

Yeah….i agree…….like what he said. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

OED

I don't have a subscription to check which meaning this is.

Etymology Online suggests:

My underline

EDIT:

I appreciate that the adjectival form (as a noun) is the one employed by Gary Larson in his immortal "Far Side" work:

image.png.bd054ac24757db7eb09fdb8594b1c13f.png

But I'd be surprised if gifted as a past tense verb doesn't have a long pedigree. Further trawling with better keywords found this NPR interview with the following reference:

Just because it’s old with a long pedigree doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be eradicated.

Smallpox was old with a long pedigree and we (eventually) managed to get rid of that.

“Gifted” as an adjective = fine; “Gifted” as a verb? On with the black cap! 🤣

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2

10 hours ago, PupCam said:

In addition, let's hope that every innocent person's good name (alive or dead) is cleared* and  I suppose it's way too much to hope for that those culpable pay a suitable price* and find out just how hard life can be.

Captain Cynical has made notes….

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Just because it’s old with a long pedigree doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be eradicated.

Smallpox was old with a long pedigree and we (eventually) managed to get rid of that.

“Gifted” as an adjective = fine; “Gifted” as a verb? On with the black cap! 🤣

Can I add "Medalled"  as in for instance "England Medalled in the swimming final " (Not that you'd hear that ever). 

I always hear it as "meddled" which brings up suspicions.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

One of the biggest strengths of English as a language is that is a language of loose morals, inasmuch as it will associate itself with any vocabulary that promises it a good word or two (according to one lexicographer “As many as 350 other languages are represented [in English] and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!“)

Additionally, as it has become (pretty much) the world’s lingua franca, many versions of English have emerged. Apart from the usual suspects (US, NZ, SA, OZ, Eire), many countries that use English as a lingua franca between various linguistic groups in those countries; from which such countries have developed their own version of English (India and Switzerland come to mind). As Dr McCoy (never) said “it’s English, Jim. But not as we know it”.

For example: “Swenglish” (Swiss English) may use the OED vocabulary, but much of the phrasing and sentence construction comes from the Swiss languages (German, Italian, French) - which does take some getting used to.

Finally, to make a (possibly) contentious observation: English - as a language - is better taught in countries where it is a foreign language than in those countries where it’s the mother tongue!

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I am back in Singapore, global warming is out of control, temperature has gone up by over 20C in the space of a single day, at this rate the world will be uninhabitable tomorrow🫣

The flight was a long one, actual flying time isn't that much longer via Beijing at the moment (16 vs. about 14) because Air China still fly over Russia but of course there's the transfer time in Beijing (three and a half hours yesterday). That said, Beijing Capital is one of my favourite transfer airports because it is a good airport for taking photographs and there's lots of interesting aircraft activity so I actually enjoy transferring there. Bizarrely, China is much more open about taking pictures than Singapore, there is no issue taking pictures at Beijing Capital whereas Singapore Changi is a protected place. You are allowed to take pictures of aircraft in Singapore, but not the airport, which in practical terms means they don't like any photography looking outside from the terminal and it is not allowed to take photographs over the fence from outside.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

One of the biggest strengths of English as a language is that is a language of loose morals, inasmuch as it will associate itself with any vocabulary that promises it a good word or two (according to one lexicographer “As many as 350 other languages are represented [in English] and their linguistic contributions actually make up about 80% of English!“)

Additionally, as it has become (pretty much) the world’s lingua franca, many versions of English have emerged. Apart from the usual suspects (US, NZ, SA, OZ, Eire), many countries that use English as a lingua franca between various linguistic groups in those countries; from which such countries have developed their own version of English (India and Switzerland come to mind). As Dr McCoy (never) said “it’s English, Jim. But not as we know it”.

For example: “Swenglish” (Swiss English) may use the OED vocabulary, but much of the phrasing and sentence construction comes from the Swiss languages (German, Italian, French) - which does take some getting used to.

Finally, to make a (possibly) contentious observation: English - as a language - is better taught in countries where it is a foreign language than in those countries where it’s the mother tongue!

Sometimes for sheer fun I read the BBC in Pidgin instead.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

• Like 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I was at school in an era when the fashionable theory of the moment was to prioritise being able to express oneself was all that mattered, so we weren't taught grammar or more traditional linguistic structure and rules. I can't help feeling my generation lost something as a result, of course it's important to be able to use language to express ourselves, but grammar still matters and at a certain point correct use of language is essential to convey ideas clearly and unambiguously.

On the other hand, I agree that one of the strengths of the English language is it has always been happy to steal with pride and is constantly evolving as a live language. I'm of an age where I listen to words used by younger people and think 'eh?' but that has always been the case and is a reason why it's such a vibrant language.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Can I add "Medalled"  as in for instance "England Medalled in the swimming final " (Not that you'd hear that ever). 

I always hear it as "meddled" which brings up suspicions.

May I refer my esteemed colleague to the medal tables in recent Olympics, especially in 2012 where England "medalled" in a wide range of sports, including swimming.  But, to quote a famous fictional civil servant, "Meddled? You may think so, I couldn't possibly comment... "

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Slept well.

Off to the MRS later to crate up a lot of wooden boxes with parallel bits of metal on them. That's my afternoon taken care of!

Watched a programme about Ferdinand Porsche last night. A lot "dumbed down" unfortunately but it filled a gap inthe evening.

Time to gerronwithit!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My bug-bear: pressurised.

"The PM was pressurized to issue a statement."

Now I know politicians are full of gas but they are pressured to issue a statement.  Beer kegs are pressurised.

• Like 12
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2