RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Woke up this morning to a light dusting of snow lying in the valleys of the faux Roman tile roof.  When the sun came out this quickly disappeared but it is now snowing again and rather more heavily.  Food stocks for humans and cats at a healthy level.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I hope for Fraggle Rocks sake that there isn't a breeding pair. It'd be worse than having Mink.....

Don't know about that,  if you set up a breeding farm you could coin it selling the puppies.

Screenshot(265).png.804f121693beafc7e6e2cdf6111bb9e2.png

Cruel to keep them so far from their native environment but.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 7

There was some discussion some time back about bequests and model railway collections.

This pet food delivery commercial addresses that in an unhelpful way:

"You got a train set Todd".

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a debate on grammar at a US political convention some years ago.  I think the gist of it was between

Taxes which restrict business shall be rescinded.

Taxes, which restrict business, shall be rescinded.

restrictive vs non-restrictive clauses, which I don't remember from school.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

There was a debate on grammar at a US political convention some years ago.  I think the gist of it was between

Taxes which restrict business shall be rescinded.

Taxes, which restrict business, shall be rescinded.

restrictive vs non-restrictive clauses, which I don't remember from school.

And old boss of mine used to joke about how much lawyers are paid to argue about where to put the commas. That is a good example.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

There was a most enjoyable little book about grammar that came out a few years ago called “Eats Shoots and Leaves” - with a paragraph or two that explained how a comma can make a big differences to the meaning (“eats, shoots and leaves” vs “eats shoots and leaves”). It was a light read which had the benefit of sprucing up one’s grammar.

After decades of preparing material that will be reviewed by the FDA, I’ve adjusted (more or less) to the necessity of using US English. Nothing wrong with US English per se, but correct spelling (e.g. coloUr not color) and punctuation (comma before <and>, really?) would not go amiss 😁🤣 But unless I had to use US English, I stubbornly stuck to “British” English - hAematology instead of hematology, aluminIum oxide instead of aluminum oxide and so on. I even preferred to use the ligature æ if I could (e.g. Cæsarian section). Perversely pedantic, I know.

As I’ve mentioned before, I love the English language and I also love reading. This combination of linguistics and wide reading does allow me to have a lot of fun with writing things. Most of the time this also means I write coherently, succinctly and clearly, but it also means I can obfuscate, mislead and be provocative with ease 😳🤣

On a final linguistic note: I’m currently working with a great team based in the United States; I have no idea how it began, but every so often I give my American colleagues an “English Lesson” - in which I instruct them on some of the finer examples of British colloquialisms.

Colloquialisms such as “muppet”, “chuffed”, “dodgy” and “throwing a wobbly” were some of many explained - of which a few have turned up in our teleconferences (e.g. “I’m chuffed that they finally updated the document”).

I’m wondering whether or I should introduce them to that useful bit of slang “The Dog’s B******s” (aka “the dog’s danglies”, “the mutt’s nuts”, the canine’s gonads”), but I’m not quite sure if they’re ready.

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's  NOTHING that a blown  LS1  can't fix! 

Does it play tunes through those horns above the engine?

🤔🤪🤣

• Funny 11

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Does it play tunes through those horns above the engine?

🤔🤪🤣

I think you're confusing it with YOUR car.

image.png.f08160cb4ff3ebe78dc6ccaf91cee956.png

😛

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Erm…did I miss something in early December or is Poly Bear missing in action? 

He has been for some time. @PupCamdid contact him .. he hoped to get back to ERs once he managed to lock the black dog away.

Baz

• Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's  NOTHING that a blown  LS1  can't fix! 

It strikes me that there must be mountains of surplus car bonnets (hoods) in Australia…..just saying.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

Just now, Grizz said:

It strikes me that there must be mountains of surplus car bonnets (hoods) in Australia…..just saying.

Not just the bonnets, but pretty much whatever was originally underneath them too...

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1