Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I am slowly arriving at the conclusion that as much as incompetent management, bolshy unions and meddling ministers have all played their part in b******g up Britain’s railway - the real culprits - the ones waving the gas axes in the direction of what remains of Britain’s railways - are the Mandarins and faceless functionaries at the DfT.

No. It may be different in a technocratic dictatorship but in our democracy it is the politicians who are responsible for policy. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

No trolley service here either, and the seats were a plank in the van.  Cold morning made for nice steam trail though.

Now you're just making me dream and wonder 'what if ...'

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I know way more than I will ever need to know about Indonesia due to it being spruiked as our major trading partner in the 70's and thus a chief subject to get taught about at school. 

I learned about the 4 main islands, Sumatra....    hmmm...... oh,  Borneo........ .and .....................the  other two.     (it was a long time ago! ) and the only language course the NSW public school system offered  in the 70's/early 80's was was French, German  or Indonesian. 

We also did Indonesian cooking classes in home economics.

Paradoxically as well as us being groomed  to consider it as our major trading and cultural partner we were also always being warned that it was  THE major threat to Australia's security in the 90's and  early 2000's, but apparently our F-111's would keep us safe.

Indonesia seems to have since retreated in the nations threat level list   -  China with its smarmy cosying up to everyone around here has since taken its place as scary country number one.

It's amazing just how little most of the world knows about Indonesia given it is enormous in terms of size and population (most populous Muslim country) and is now a major economy with rapidly rising geopolitical influence. 

I never got the impression Indonesian's were that bothered about Australia, certainly not in terms of any imperialist ambitions or dreams of conquest. I'm guessing politicians probably made intemperate statements but that's the nature of politicians and overall their overseas interests were much more focused to the North towards SE Asia. Culturally they're very close to Malaysia, and as is so often the case relations between neighbours with a shared culture divided by a national boundary can be troubled.

It's something that sometimes annoys me, there's a strand of European person which loves to sneer at the ignorance of many American people on the world outside the USA yet I find a similar ignorance in Europe about most of the world outside Europe. The exceptions tend to be knowledge of former colonies, and even that can be patchy. For example I find that a lot of British people have some knowledge of Malaysia but almost everyone I've ever spoke to thought peninsula Malaysia was all of Malaysia.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah yes, the glory that once was the railways in Britain…

I was wandering around YouTube (as one does, as one does) when I came across a video by a British railway enthusiast (definitely knowledgeable and definitely an anorak) who was reviewing the unsuitability of various UK train-sets for certain routes…. Basically, the video can be summarised as “the TOC wanted to change/upgrade/modify the rolling stock to adapt it to the new role and the DfT said “No).

I am slowly arriving at the conclusion that as much as incompetent management, bolshy unions and meddling ministers have all played their part in b******g up Britain’s railway - the real culprits - the ones waving the gas axes in the direction of what remains of Britain’s railways - are the Mandarins and faceless functionaries at the DfT.

If the Japanese successfully privatised their railways (and the Japanese are the first to admit their railway debt to Britain), why couldn’t the British (who privatised after Japan) do it properly? The UK could have learnt a lot from the Japanese. Could it be that the combination of the British attitude of not trusting Johnny Foreigner and the Cult of Incompetence that currently bedevils the UK prevented those privatising the railways from learning how best to do it?

Ironically, much of the (justly) maligned rolling stock is built by companies that produce comfortable and well laid out rolling stock for many European countries. But there again European rolling stock is not built down to DfT requirements…

A final (cynical) thought: were a government to prohibit DfT staff from coming to work by private vehicle (including the top Mandarins), would the UK suddenly experience a renaissance of public transport?

One of the biggest changes I have seen in SE and East Asia in my time visiting places has been the shift in attitudes towards what we might call 'the West'. When I first started coming to Asia countries tended to look to the US and Europe for lessons on governance, how to manage things, and as examples of what their countries should be. Western culture in things like music, cinema and literature was pronounced and most aspirational goods were from US and European brands. 

Now they tend to point to the US especially as a dysfunctional country and an example of how not to govern, while the word I'm increasingly hearing about Europe (including in China) is 'backwards'. Even in culture, while US cinema and music is still popular, it isn't what it was and Korean culture now seems much more popular. 

I think people tend to be rather bemused by the Western world nowadays.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

MRC accounts updated, couldn't pay the insurance bill because that with the electricity bill exceeded £1000 daily limit, so I'll have pay that tomorrow.

Afternoon Awl,

MRC accounts updated, couldn't pay the insurance bill because that with the electricity bill exceeded £1000 daily limit, so I'll have pay that tomorrow.

"Little red driving machine"© Gwiwer deposited at garage for MOT and final work. Had the odd experience of driving the wrong way down a one way street because they've closed one end of it.

One for Puppets,

sorry it's a poor picture.

This is motorcycle, RAF, D day beaches for the landing

on

20240110_150553180.jpeg.1aea589b29ce83ca65da8ae43db2a518.jpeg

Any idea of what type it is?

Much research on the radar convoy that accompanied it, 6 more 1/76 models ordered to go with the motorcycle when I can find out it's type.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon Awl,

"Little red driving machine"© Gwiwer deposited at garage for MOT and final work. Had the odd experience of driving the wrong way down a one way street because they've closed one end of it.

One for Puppets,

sorry it's a poor picture.

This is motorcycle, RAF, D day beaches for the landing

on

20240110_150553180.jpeg.1aea589b29ce83ca65da8ae43db2a518.jpeg

Any idea of what type it is?

Much research on the radar convoy that accompanied it, 6 more 1/76 models ordered to go with the motorcycle when I can find out it's type.

Ariel single cylinder 350cc, they were the standard British military despatch riders mount. My brother had one c. 1963 fitted with a sidecar as being a learner he was limited to 250cc solo machines.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Because privatisation was absolutely nothing to do with the railways. It was ideological.  Many other publicly owned services were sold off at the same time. Gas, electricity and water for example. Schools and medical services endured financial cutbacks. There was no interest in instituting the kind of systems developed for running national infrastructure in other European and Asian countries. 

And as a result we had Railtrack who were dishing out money that was intended to maintain the system as dividends to shareholders. It was only after a couple of fatal accidents that it came to light.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Ariel single cylinder 350cc, they were the standard British military despatch riders mount. My brother had one c. 1963 fitted with a sidecar as being a learner he was limited to 250cc solo machines.

If driving a car a learner must be accompanied by a passenger with a full licence. Motorcyclists may ride on their own as there is usually no provision for passengers. But if fitted with a sidecar does a qualified driver have to accompany the rider? 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2024 at 08:02, Hroth said:

Is this what the aspiring motorist of today has to put up with?

Words fail me!

(I'll come back to this when I'm on a proper computer...)

Ok.

My first car.

J40PedalCar.jpg.fb59f5fe3e90413914cb1d39122634a0.jpg

It's a J40. A recognisable replica of a real car (an Austin A40 Dorset*), in solid steel, with working headlights, a proper horn, and real inflatable tyres too!

But a bit of a pig to pedal about...

My first road-going vehicle. I wouldn't dignify it by calling it a car.

Autin of England or/and Austin Devon circa 1950 was when these were around and the teacher of Class 3 had one and parked it on the school playground.  When starting to add this had her name in mind but it has gone although I can picture her hitting pupils on the knuckles with a pencil.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Pencil? Big rulers , wooden blackboard dusters, and a cane..

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No. It may be different in a technocratic dictatorship but in our democracy it is the politicians who are responsible for policy. 

I have to slightly disagree, although it is the minister who sets policy it is incredibly unlikely (especially given the quality of recent Secretaries of State for Transport) that they have much to do with reviewing and approving the specifications for trains, planes and automobiles (so to speak). In fact, I would venture that most politicians - beyond issuing grand policy statements - are so far out of their depth technically that their toes don't touch bottom (and this is not just for transport, but also for host of other ministries that have a significant technical/scientific/engineering responsibility).

According to Wiki the current incumbent SSfT studied philosophy, politics and economics at Oxford and was a chartered accountant before his election to Parliament and his Biog makes no mention of any interests in model railways, cars, planes or boats (but on the positive side he has two rescue dogs!). Not the sort of background that would prepare you for the rough and tumble of transport.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

If driving a car a learner must be accompanied by a passenger with a full licence. Motorcyclists may ride on their own as there is usually no provision for passengers. But if fitted with a sidecar does a qualified driver have to accompany the rider? 

No the rules are,

The rider must have passed the CBT, Only on a motorcycle up to 125CC max 11kW (approx 14.7hp)

That's the same as on a normal motorcycle.

Then on passing the test on a normal motorcycle, no side car, they are limited to less than 25kw for two years before going onto larger engines.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

31 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Sixty years ago a learner motorcyclist could ride a machine of any size solo. The 250 cc limit was then brought in for learners on solo machines but any size for sidecar combinations* was still allowed. Learner motorcyclists did not have to be accompanied. *Which led to very large motorcycles fitted with outriders being ridden by learners. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Indeed it might be a Royal Enfield, I'd forgotten the enormous number of British motorcycle makers that existed back then. Usually one service would usually use one particular make of vehicle for logistical reasons. For example the army used Austin tillies whereas the RAF used Hillmans though there were no strict rules. In the case of the photograph I was going by the shape of the frame but I see the Royal Enfield has a similar frame.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

I wish I had taken my motorcycle test when I could have nearly 50 years ago, it was a lot simpler then. But there were long waiting lists at the time and a car was more practical for someone being posted around by the RAF.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the original photo of the motorcycle from the manager of the radar museum.

Some bits metal for mounting in parallel have arrived, if you take the actual postage off, they cost under 1/3 of list price. I note from the stamps , it cost the seller on the bay of E,  2.5 x what they had quoted for postage.

There are still large puddles on the fields here, and the water from our garden is now slowly leaking through our neighbours out onto the road although our puddles have gone.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Nearly forgot, I received my renewal notice for the house insurance today. The Barstewards have increased it from £320.80 last year to £513.89 this year, a 60% increase. Furthermore they have put the rebuilding cost if the house is totally destroyed at £500,000! The house was valued at £300,000 only just over a year ago. I will have to hunt around for a new insurer. I suspect that they have taken an average for the area and/or postcode. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Pencil? Big rulers , wooden blackboard dusters, and a cane..

Argh the good old days of institutional brutality but at least everyone knew how to read and write.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought it was a BSA M20 but then I think all motorbikes like that are BSA!  Ariel were made in Birmingham too. Tamiya make a BSA M20 but a 1/35 kit wouldn’t look right on Q’s model. 

Edited by Tony_S
Look not like
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

It is perhaps as well the Bear is absent atm, as I spent much of my afternoon rehoming/evicting daddy long legs. Due to various [****] going on right now, I'm having to move some things about and one part of that is dismantling shelves in the garage and replacing/re-erecting elsewhere. Our garage is something of a haven for spiders and daddy long legs, so even with great care, a dozen or so arachnids were relocated to pastures new... 

Having said that, in all seriousness, thoughts with the Bear. Black dogs can be nasty. Unfortunately all my encounters with them have been caused by problems with the medical profession, which I find very ironic. Anyway, 'nuff said, regulars will know something of the issues I've had over the last few years. Incidentally, best wishes to Bob and Dave, it's good to hear they at least have had proper treatment. Though I am somewhat envious.... 

A bit of a curate's egg day, plenty of 'arrrggh!' but some achievement too. Nothing terribly exciting. A neighbour's parcel was taken in for them after they had to scurry out to an urgent medical appointment. Miscellaneous admin sighed over and processed, much of it unnecessary, how much has been truly dealt with remains to be seen, miscellaneous thoughts of pah, turdycurses and miscellaneous vituperations etc. ... 

More cheerfully, I'd like to query a culinary matter with those ERs who know a bit about such things - recently I had a bit of an eating up session and used some sausagemeat, creme fraiche and a couple of eggs and a few odds and ends of veg and cheese. I find it hard to believe I have invented a new dish but as it turned out well, would like to experiment and take advice on recipes - but I don't know what terms to search under... I created small hemispheres of sausagemeat (not unlike half scotch eggs without the egg) in an oven muffin tray and then put a quiche-like mixture of egg, creme fraiche and herbs (together with scraps of cheese, peppers & onion) into the middle, then cooked at GM6 for about 30 minutes. Sort of scotch eggs meets quiche. Any ideas what the proper name for this is? 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Sort of scotch eggs meets quiche. Any ideas what the proper name for this is? 

A squish? (Or squiche in French cooking?)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14