Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Jupiter videos look promising, star stills look, err, rubbish so a "a skill to be developed"

I'd appreciate some info about the camera you're using. Astrophotography - like model railways - was meant to be a key part of my retirement. Sadly, I've done little or nothing with either. So far!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Jeopardy! which in it's first run (hosted by Art Fleming in 1964)

I forgot to mention that it was a Jeopardy! win back in the Art Fleming era that, in part*, led Mel Gibson's father to emigrate to Australia:

In 1968, Gibson appeared on the Art Fleming-hosted version of the game show Jeopardy! as "Red Gibson, a railroad brakeman from South Ozone Park, New York". Gibson won $4,680 and retired undefeated after five shows, in accordance with the rules of the show then in force. He was invited back to appear in the 1968 Tournament of Champions, where he became the year's grand champion, winning slightly over one thousand dollars more, as well as a two-person cruise to the West Indies.

* Actually it was a court settlement over a work injury that funded the move.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Sounds good, but how is it that those of shorter stature (most women, and certainly most 8 year olds) are able to handle the scale length of fenders (or fender basses) while some of us who are of average male height or greater find the scale length of gibsons can be a stretch for what we want to do ?

The difference in scale length is only a couple of centimetres, so it must be the body shape. Being girthy I find the Les Paul style uncomfortable. 

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Today another cold one, reminder, THIS IS COLD --> -19c recovering the newspaper, sunny but that matters little, high around -15c, realfeel -26c

I'm currently catching up on "Fargo",  that cold and snow and stuff just looks mental!  

Its the surf and the sun  for me.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

6 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

I'd appreciate some info about the camera you're using. Astrophotography - like model railways - was meant to be a key part of my retirement. Sadly, I've done little or nothing with either. So far!

I started as a complete beginner, knowing absolutely nothing, and as a consequence my basic apparatus is very cheap and cheerful.     A couple of years ago I bought a Skywatcher 130  with equatorial mount including a single axis (RA) mount.    This was more by luck than judgement as I didn't appreciate the benefit of such a mount over a basic Azimuth & Elevation version at the time or indeed the necessity for it for astrophotography.     For my first attempts at astrophotography I made an adapter for my son's mirror-less Canon camera body.   I had a degree of success with this for both lunar and deep sky images.  Last year I bought a dedicated astro-camera and despite all of my recent experience with budget equipment I bought a budget colour camera.  The benefits of this where, like a cheap scope, for little money (it was about £130, which is about as cheap as you can get when cameras typically cost £300+ and many are in 4 figures)  it gives you a taster of things to come if you can first spot the limitations of the equipment and then work round them.    The watchwords with everything related to astronomy on a budget appear to be patience and persistence.    If you are the type of person who tries something and immediately gives up when it doesn't work first time and moves on to something new then astrophotography probably isn't for you but when you do make progress despite and not because of the budget equipment I have to say it's rather pleasing.    So far my really memorable achievements/moments are:

The first time I looked at the moon through the telescope  - Wow!

EVERY time I look at Jupiter through the telescope - Wow squared that doesn't diminish the more times I do it!

The first time I looked at Pleiades through the telescope

The first time I got a half decent, sharp image of the moon after getting the hang of some software (Registax IIRC)

When I finally managed to extract some detail (not a lot I grant you) in the Orion nebula

My recent exploits and improvements in imaging Jupiter with various software packages

My first recent wobbly image of Saturn

Rather than fill up ER's with a load of astronomy details I'll give you full details of my set up and the things I've done to try and work around the limitations of my budget gear in this thread later on.

ION

I believe a walk is to be walked around the Swiss Gardens at Old Warden.  

TTFNQ

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The computer battery sign has re-appeared this morning when I switched on so alls well on that front. However a new battery will be required soon as there's only 19% available now. That's something to do when I'm mobile again. No news from the insurance yet so I will try to gee them up a bit. Just received notice that my parcel will arrive between twelve and one. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Ben the very happy collie was taken on patrol he had a very good run around.

While doing that, I heard the neighbour calling, so i went out and she said she had Ben!!! 

She'd opened to door. Ben walked in went into the room and sat In front of the cupboard she keeps doggy biscuits in, staring at the cupboard.

He must have gone down their side of our house which he's never done before,  there's a temporary gap at the moment nearest the front, they are going to put in a short wall he obviously went through. 

Ben the very guilty looking Collie was waiting in the house for me and when I told him to go home that's the way he came back.. I've put up a sheet of corrugated iron for now, to stop him until the wall is done.

I assume that he's been in the neighbours house before, or does he have senses that we know nothing about?

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2