The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We have lumpy gas..

Also known as flickering lights due to mains problems.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

On 20/01/2024 at 03:31, Ozexpatriate said:

I would have thought all @Smiffy2 's guitar photos would have smoked out Flavio @iL Dottore. Is he on an RMweb hiatus?

On 20/01/2024 at 17:03, Sidecar Racer said:

He appears to have de-camped to The Night Mail thread .

Which begs the question , who here upset him ?     😎

I have been lurking, but ER hasn't been at its most scintillating as of late: some informative and intriguing posts made, but many dull ones as well (both by the usual suspects).

The absence of @polybear is notable: the ongoing shenanigans involving The Bear, @iL Dottore (and his alter ego Captain Cynical) which also roped in many of the ER regulars certainly added a vibrancy that's now in short supply.

The Bear and CC would lock horns over a topic Chimpy, Puppers, Oz, JJB1970, Winslow Boy, TheQ, Gwiwer (and others) would weigh in and the next thing you knew was that ERs were having an erudite discussion about (say) "the hidden high costs of 'cheap' food" or "the merits of smartphones for digital photography"

I'll be back on regular basis when there's a bear to bait!

iD

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

We are supposed to be the least affected area for,the current storm but we can hear the wind gusts. We used to get woooo noises down the chimney but the special cowl a builder neighbour  fitted a couple of years ago has dealt with that. The storm is much worse on the other side of the estuary.

Tony

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We are supposed to be the least affected area for the current storm

Normal service has resumed with the weather here - rainy and 6°C.

It must have rained a heavily overnight - there was a lot of water in the creek. No doubt some of it was meltwater. The ice is gone from the roads but patches remain. The sleet drifted in the wind last weekend and there are still drifts of it under eaves where the rain does not fall on it.

Tree covered paths still have icy spots. I had to backtrack finding one really treacherous stretch this morning.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I did think about subscribing to the Dull Mens Club but laziness prevailed and I didn’t bother. 

Reminds me of the old saw about joining the "procrastinators' group counselling meeting, but haven't got around to it yet". (Many variations are available.)

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. According to the weather app the wind speed is 14 metres per second, so save you working it out thats 50.4 kph or 32 mph in old money. Fortunately my electric supply is buried underground so no problems about being cut off. No structural damage as far as I'm aware but I will be giving the roof a once over in the morning. Surprisingly the wheelie bins haven't moved even though the general waste one in front of the house is in an exposed position. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

and then automatically stacks  them, like theres a miniature @PupCam sitting in there  beavering away at it,. 

As per ,

Iconographs

Having nothing to do with religious art, iconography is the Disc's equivalent of photography.

Unlike a normal camera, the iconograph contains a tiny imp who quickly paints the pictures (also called iconographs) of the subject at hand. If it is too dim for the imps to see, salamanders can be used as a flashgun. The iconograph is first seen in The Colour of Magic, where it is used by Twoflower, the Discworld's first tourist, to the bemusement of most other characters. By the time of later books in the series, they have also become very popular in Ankh-Morpork.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Fortunately my electric supply is buried underground so no problems about being cut off.

This helps power supply resiliency immensely. So is mine, but that didn't me stop losing power during a bad ice storm early in 2021. Even when local power distribution is buried, at some point it usually goes up on a pole as it is stepped up to higher voltages - though I'm not an expert on UK distribution.

Even high voltage transmission lines can be subject to wind-related outages, but so long as they are well maintained they are usually reliable.

The 2018 Camp Fire which destroyed Paradise, CA was caused by the failure of a steel hook (I'm presuming that held an insulator string) on a 115kV transmission line. It failed in high winds.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I think it's more likely to suggest that both our cars are not garaged and indicates how infrequently we clean them 🤣

I think that is certainly true in my case. The Evoque has a glass roof so it doesn’t seem to have quite as many places for the moss to lurk as the Fiests. Miss used to,block,our gutters and down pipes but after we installed hedgehog gutter brushes, moss bounces  over the gutters on to the cars or drive. I think I prefer a bit of sweeping than cleaning gutters. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think that is certainly true in my case. The Evoque has a glass roof so it doesn’t seem to have quite as many places for the moss to lurk as the Fiests. Miss used to,block,our gutters and down pipes but after we installed hedgehog gutter brushes, moss bounces  over the gutters on to the cars or drive. I think I prefer a bit of sweeping than cleaning gutters. 
Tony

No problems with moss growing here in outside-living cars, but  if infrequently driven (eg the ute) they do accumulate colonies of redback spiders that build webs and nests in the wheel wells and between the rear bumper and the ground. I do have to warn mechanics, tyre repairers etc to keep an eye  out for them when I need work done.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No problems with moss growing here in outside-living cars, but  if infrequently driven (eg the ute) they do accumulate colonies of redback spiders that build webs and nests in the wheel wells and between the rear bumper and the ground. I do have to warn mechanics, tyre repairers etc to keep an eye  out for them when I need work done.

Spiders like living in the door mirrors here. When the mirror heaters come on they run out. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Southern42:  for those instruments of the crumhorn family, are the reeds played between the lips or fully in the mouth?  I seem to remember that the zurla/zurna of the Balkans has the reed free inside the mouth, giving a more bagpipe sound.  The place where the reed enters the instrument has a large button around it so that enthusiastic playing doesn't force the instrument down the throat.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8