Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Except that that's a very incomplete map of Europe, which includes Scanidnavia, Iceland, the Baltic States, Belorus, The Ukraine, and Russia as far as the Ural watershed.  When I worked on the railway back in the 70s, I was allowed one Europe-wide free pass annually (an alternative to three within the UK) as a consequence of BR's membership of the UIC, which was valid on any trans-Ural route as far as the geographical watershed, regarded as the boundary with Siberia, which is in Asia.

Not sure what paperwork and visas would have been needed to go east of the curtain, only went to Paris, once.  But one of my colleagues did it one year just for what the Irish call the feck of it, the fact that he was a card-carrying and proudly committed Party member possibly greasing some of the wheels.  There were, apparently, some questions from our own authorities, he thought probably Special Branch, both before and after his journey.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Except that that's a very incomplete map of Europe, which includes Scanidnavia, Iceland, the Baltic States, Belorus, The Ukraine, and Russia as far as the Ural watershed.  When I worked on the railway back in the 70s, I was allowed one Europe-wide free pass annually (an alternative to three within the UK) as a consequence of BR's membership of the UIC, which was valid on any trans-Ural route as far as the geographical watershed, regarded as the boundary with Siberia, which is in Asia.

Not sure what paperwork and visas would have been needed to go east of the curtain, only went to Paris, once.  But one of my colleagues did it one year just for what the Irish call the feck of it, the fact that he was a card-carrying and proudly committed Party member possibly greasing some of the wheels.  There were, apparently, some questions from our own authorities, he thought probably Special Branch, both before and after his journey.

Indeed and to put it into context, I was a bit gobsmacked when I found out which city was the geographic centre of Europe - defined as on the mid point of the furthest north and south intersecting with the mid point of the furthest east and west.  That city was Lvov - today Lviv - in the Ukraine  just off the east of the map round about the Polish SE border.  

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

14 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Indeed and to put it into context, I was a bit gobsmacked when I found out which city was the geographic centre of Europe - defined as on the mid point of the furthest north and south intersecting with the mid point of the furthest east and west.  That city was Lvov - today Lviv - in the Ukraine  just off the east of the map round about the Polish SE border.  

Ukraine is the largest country entirely in Europe. Google doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the word 'entirely' however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_area#List_of_European_countries_and_dependencies_by_area

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not much sign of Arthur Itis this evening but pills will be taken before bed as a precaution. BIN day tomorrow but the black bin that they failed to collect last week is fortnightly collection so is not due for collection. Rayleigh toy fair this Sunday, a chance to give the new car a run and to try out the new rollalong.

• Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

The comparison still holds pretty well: 

Distance as the crow flies - London to Lviv  1700km approx.

- Perth to Sydney - 3400km approx.

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Distance as the crow flies

- London to Lviv  1700km approx.

Just for fun, I looked at the east-west distance between the two extreme, named places I could find  in Canada: Kiusta, BC to Saint John’s, Newfoundland.

Distance is 5369 km.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well it would hold well if London was anywhere close to the westernmost point in Europe.  As it is from London you can go much of the width of England westwards, then the Irish sea, then Ireland and the most western part of Ireland is about as far west as Madrid - half way across Spain.  So add in half of Spain and then add a bit of Portugal.  It is at least half as much again on your 1700km.  

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

Well it would hold well if London was anywhere close to the westernmost point in Europe.  As it is from London you can go much of the width of England westwards, then the Irish sea, then Ireland and the most western part of Ireland is about as far west as Madrid - half way across Spain.  So add in half of Spain and then add a bit of Portugal.  It is at least half as much again on your 1700km.  

In the same way Australia actually ends at Norfolk Island to the east. Its part of NSW and votes in the electorate of Canberra in federal elections, despite being 1500km offshore.  ...  (also possibly holds up for adding Hawaii into any calculations of USA width!)  🤔

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I am meeting my boss in Tokyo next week, he is flying from Washington  DC and assumed Singapore - Tokyo would be a couple of hours and was taken aback to find out it is 6 - 7 hours depending on wind etc. Bangkok and Jakarta are next door and are two hour flights. Hong Kong is 4, Beijing 6. And if you go West to India and the Middle East it can be longer, significantly longer. Asia is huge.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

RE: Relative continental sizes.

Feel free to play with "the true size of"

It automatically scales countries on a Mercator's projection with modified latitude - you can see how verticals are exaggerated at higher latitudes than we normally see.

image.png.d119707afba0262a9ee40a814cb0e430.png

You can move them around. It would be nice to flip countries from the southern or northern hemisphere.

East - west, Australia would cover Ireland to the Kazakh border, or Lisbon to Beirut.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

3 hours ago, pH said:

Just for fun, I looked at the east-west distance between the two extreme, named places I could find  in Canada: Kiusta, BC to Saint John’s, Newfoundland.

Distance is 5369 km.

East-west, Steep Point, WA (Australia) to Byron Bay, NSW is just shy of 4,000km - ~3,972 km.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Indonesia is 5100km, because it's a long but narrow archipelago with a low profile in international affairs most do not realise just how big it is.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, pH said:

Distance is 5369 km.

Yes, it's a long way from one side of Canada to the other. Here's the "true size" comparison of Australia and Canada.

image.png.7c396c2e0c8c3598f58a13c4d52df1de.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold

Rickmansworth to Uxbridge is 110 miles, according to someone who worked in the same company as me when he filled in his car business mileage form each month. He risked being caught by accounts and the tax man but that was way over 20 years ago and the compay no longer exists so he is safe now.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 15

2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Indonesia is 5100km, because it's a long but narrow archipelago with a low profile in international affairs most do not realise just how big it is.

A good deal of that distance is water though. ~5,300 km by this approximation.

image.png.0be3237a0c11b0f5b091c1ea5ceb6376.png

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

That's interesting.  I was under the impression that you were No 4 at Schloss ID,with Lucy and Schotty at 2nd equal, all  ruled by Mrs ID.  Maybe she just let's you have delusions of grandeur. 

Jamie

That is true, but that’s just the domestic side of things, I was talking about work!

• Like 6
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

East-west, Steep Point, WA (Australia) to Byron Bay, NSW is just shy of 4,000km - ~3,972 km.

And only 110km shorter going North-South -  from southern Tasmania to the tip of Cape York.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good morning all,

An interesting discussion on distances and sizes, but very reminiscent of those skoolboy erudite discussions about the merits of this motorcar vs that motor car. And perhaps more popular were the ruminations on whether or nor the Daleks would beat the Cybermen* in a fair fight, or whether Blake’s 7 was better than Space 1999…..

And as the topic of Doctor Who is being vaguely touched upon, I was pleased to see Sylvester McCoy appear in a recent episode of the 2024 series of Father Brown. I’ve always thought that McCoy’s Doctor was grossly (and unfairly) underrated - much like Peter Capaldi’s Doctor. Both are very good actors hampered and hamstrunged by poor scripts or being shunted into scheduling wasteland.

Perhaps I’m just an aging fanboi, but I really think that Doctor Who gets lumbered and - dare I say it - damaged by show runners and script writers who know nothing (and care less) about either the show’s history (and canon) and what SciFi (even SciFi fantasy) is. I think that is telling that the Beeb considers Eastenders as its “flagship drama” (or at it least it did at one point). I can’t see them doing to the Queen Vic what they’ve done to the Tardis…

* am I the only one to think that The Borg are a direct copy of The Cybermen, but with a bad wardrobe…. 

• Like 13