The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You'll change your mind the minute you are being chased by baddies..

Still dreaming of Mad Max as a Utopia, are you?  (Being pursued by a bunch of Bikies and Kundalini who wants his hand back).

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Looking at cars built when Ford had the Mk1 Cortina  shows they were all pretty poorly made around then.. Vauxhall HA Viva anyone?

Baz

Almost any car at the time suffered from rot, even the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow was not immune. Neither were the Japanese imports as Japan did not salt their roads in winter. But the Japanese soon realised where the problem lay and set about doing something about it.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Fiat seems to have gotten things right with the Fiat 500 reboot (although there have been mixed reviews about build quality, reliability etc), much more so than VW’s reboot of the VW Beetle or, indeed, the horrendous “Mini”

One reboot that, to my eyes, did work was the Jaguar S type (1998-2007) - very close n style to the original Jaguar S (1963-1968), which in turn was based on the famous Jaguar Mk Ii (a beautiful car). The modern S-type was replaced by the Jaguar XF, which - apart from the badge - is almost indistinguishable from countless other “executive luxury sport sedan”

Original Jaguar Mark IIs and original Jaguar S-types are now nearly unobtainable and certainly mostly unaffordable, however, a modern S type can still be found at reasonable prices. I am tempted to buy one as a second car

I agree entirely re. the Jaguar 'S' type. What went against it was it was thought of as a Ford Mercury in drag whereas it only used the Ford Mercury platform, all the rest was Jaguar. There are several companies converting Mk. II Jags to convertibles, not so much the original S type as its more complicated. I heard of someone who had both a Mk. II and an S type, the Mk. II was made a convertible and the roof removed from it was used to make the S type an estate

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

2300 bhp may seem a tad excessive and I may never actually drive it at over 250mph, but I still want one, 0-70 in under 2 seconds is motor bike pace.....................................

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bad night last night, bladder control kept pressing the button then Arthur Itis joined in the fun for good measure. Another shock this morning I received a letter from the insurance company re. the new car that seemed excessive but then I realised that the monthly payments included payments on the old car which I paid on instalment. However I had my house insured through the same broker but I shopped around when they wanted to up the rate by 60% and got a better deal with no charges for paying monthly so when the car insurance becomes due in June I'll shop around again. The accident shouldn't have affected payments as I have NCB protection.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The accident shouldn't have affected payments as I have NCB protection.

I retained my 75% NCB discount but it was 75% off the higher premium having claimed for accident repairs. (Returned to car park to find damage to car, no witnesses). 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Personally I prefer the sneaky sleeper concept to supercar ostentation because everyone here would reckon you were either a drug dealer or were up yourself, both of which are Un-Australian.

The perfect sleeper is the "Lebanese Lamborghini" , the 1986 VL Commodore which came optioned with  the Nissan RB30ET  3 litre Turbo 6 motor.

. Beloved of our local Middle Eastern Community who enjoy tinkering with it in their backyards to produce infinite power , ending up with a car that  looks like something your nanna would drive to the shops in  but with the equivalent of 2 and a bit  Aston Martin Valkyries under the hood.  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

We might pass in the airport, I am on tonight's flight to Ho Chi Minh City, what time are you there?

Just arrived now 9:30. Knackered. Waiting for taxi downstairs. Enjoy your flight and have a successful trip. Robert

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Maybe we could try this...image.png.07af45a13da2317a1a458b129d98882e.png

From the London Transport booklet issued to drivers

“You know that oil fuel in large quantities has to be used for the purpose of winning the war quickly, and gas-producer buses are being run not because we like them but because they do enable us to make a substantial contribution towards the great effort in which we are all engaged”

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Fiat seems to have gotten things right with the Fiat 500 reboot

It would not surprise me to see that the Fiat 500L is the same size as the Mini Countryman.

Like the Countryman, it is substantially bigger than the original reintroduced model.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Original Jaguar Mark IIs and original Jaguar S-types are now nearly unobtainable and certainly mostly unaffordable, however, a modern S type can still be found at reasonable prices. I am tempted to buy one as a second car

It used to be said the Daimler 250 was a much better buy, same car, different badge. Agreed though beautiful car.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_250

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It was like the moon-landing here when the rebirthed Monaro was unveiled at the Melbourne motorshow in 2001.

Sold as a Pontiac here. One of the few (only?) Australian designs to be sold in the US.

Didn't help Pontiac much. GM killed off the Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn labels in one fell swoop.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

is substantially bigger than the reintroduced model.

My neighbour once had 6 Fiat 500 original version in his garage. They were double stacked for storage though. They have gone now and there is only one car (not a Fiat) in the garage. A condition of its insurance was it had to be garaged not left on a drive overnight. My garage is full of trains and slot cars. When the weather warms up I will have a good tidy. 
I had an email from the people who installed our solar energy system. They think,we would benefit from an extra battery in our garage. We do too, but when we previously enquired they were not working in Essex. They are again, so we will go ahead. There is still space for,the battery in the racking system supplied (looks like a19” rack, is that still a standard?)

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

During the morning I went out for a short ride and called at Lidl for a couple of things and had a short walk.  When I got home I found an e mail to tell that some of my Swiss photos have been used in a video on You Tube about a loco class (Ge4/4i) of the Rhätische Bahn.  I had been asked if it was OK some time ago and had almost forgotten.  I enjoyed watching it while I had my coffee.

Then I updated some documents and have started to put my files of papers in a sensible order so they can easily be found if (I should say when) anything ever happens to me.  I've also updated a letter which two friends have copies of telling them who to inform when the time comes.  It has nothing to do with the forthcoming surgery, I have been sorting paperwork out for some time.

This afternoon I've been working on more photos for the web.  This evening I will watch Maigret if I can stay awake, I will also listen to music - but as yet I haven't decided what and will also read a bit.

Tomorrow I must post some birthday cards on behalf of friends who are away at the moment.  I meant to do it today but forgot.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I finished it yesterday afternoon, having started it late Saturday afternoon

Which is about as long as it takes the current operator to get a train up to Waterloo, it seems.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Personally I prefer the sneaky sleeper concept to supercar ostentation because everyone here would reckon you were either a drug dealer or were up yourself, both of which are Un-Australian.

The perfect sleeper is the "Lebanese Lamborghini" , the 1986 VL Commodore which came optioned with  the Nissan RB30ET  3 litre Turbo 6 motor.

. Beloved of our local Middle Eastern Community who enjoy tinkering with it in their backyards to produce infinite power , ending up with a car that  looks like something your nanna would drive to the shops in  but with the equivalent of 2 and a bit  Aston Martin Valkyries under the hood.  

2750 nm of torque? it ain't the bhp that gives you the oomfffffffffffffffffffff

• Like 5