RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The well known British sense of social responsibility???

It was done to solve a problem, but certainly not one I had expected. I will give a clue, it wasn’t the dogs or their walkers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Rosie the cat from over the road likes to sit on our doormat and watch the world go by.  She doesn’t do anything nasty. 
When we had Robbie, I didn’t put him on the lead when we went out to the car as he would run to the car and wait for the hatchback to open. On one occasion, just as I opened the house door , he saw a cat on the step, about to  leave a  deposit. The cat, ran just about avoiding Robbie. It was like something from a cartoon, the cat crashed though a yew hedge, Robbie collided with the hedge and had to extract himself. The cat came round the end of the hedge and looked at him. Robbie ran at it, and was just behind when the cat when it went straight up and over a neighbour’s wooden gate. Then the thud  as Robbie  hit the gate was quite loud. He wasn’t normally bothered about cats, it was purely territorial, the cat was intruding in “his” space. One of the people who looked after Robbie when we were on holiday had cats, dogs, rabbits and a tortoise. He was perfectly well behaved with them.

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

It was done to solve a problem, but certainly not one I had expected. I will give a clue, it wasn’t the dogs or their walkers!

Give me another clue...?

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I know exactly what you were implying (the well behaved and socially responsible yoof of Essex). I was being ironic!

It was, though “the youth” are not usually a problem round here. It was groups of people leaving the youth club and having poo bag flinging competitions into neighbouring gardens. 
The local council have never been noted for providing youth activities so I should imagine  they were overjoyed when a charity built one and and provided facilities for skateboarding, table tennis and other activities. Matthew went a few times to play board games. There was a 30 minute chat about the Bible. Matthew asked “questions”.

Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Sometimes Gary The Parrot does a poo on my shoulder.

You darent do that with dogs.

Glad to read another Gary post. Send him my regards.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The thing that worries me is the people who carefully gather the stuff up, then hang the baggy on a bush or railings.

If you challenge them they always say “I will collect it on my way back”. I would often comment in the winter that they should put the bags in their pockets as they made lovely handwarmers. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

If you challenge them they always say “I will collect it on my way back”. I would often comment in the winter that they should put the bags in their pockets as they made lovely handwarmers. 

Ewwwww...

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Wow!

It must be unpleasant out, I've just seen the Postie go by and she had long trousers on today....

I won't say it's filthy outside but we have a yellow warning for heavy rain.  There is no chance of anyone seeing the rain for the fog though e can hear it falling.  Yuk.  I'm hoping some of it lifts by half past 22 tonight when I have to collect Dr. SWMBO off the train.  If the fog's down in town it is always twice as thick over the moors.  

• Friendly/supportive 17

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

can anyone tell me why?

Primate tribalism. Almost all people want to belong to something.

And we don't use the term "fan" (fanatic) for nothing.

It's no different for other "(often rabid) partisan support" for equally tribally binding beliefs like politics, religion, nationalism, and more.

Frankly sports fandom is one of the most benign.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's no different for other "(often rabid) partisan support" for equally tribally binding beliefs like politics, religion, nationalism, and more.

Well until it comes to chucking out time at some local Derbies in the UK!

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

You've never seen the people who tuck small dogs under their arms?

There was an episode this week on a United Airlines flight when a woman insisted (despite instructions to the contrary) that she would release her lapdog from its carrier en-route on a full aircraft. The contents of the doggies digestive system were released spontaneously. All over her, the seat and it stank - apparently.

Even the Daily Wail picked up the story.

Flying into Portland recently has been an adventure for many, between doors falling off, cockpit jump seat riders on mushrooms attempting to shut engines down and doggie digestive explosions there's been a lot going on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is that  ALL the one team..?

The NFL dresses 48 from each team on game day. (There are 55 on the roster with 53 active.)

There are 11 players on the field per side. 12 or more results in yellow hankies. Usually structured in three 'teams' - offense, defense and special teams (mostly for kicking plays). It is common for player to be on more than one of the 'teams' - like a wide receiver (offense) playing as kick returner (special teams).

Necessarily there are back-ups for most positions in case of injury.

Positions like running back* (offense) are usually rotated in and out so an offense will have multiple running backs ready to play.

* Think 5/8 in Rugby League

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

You've never seen the people who tuck small dogs under their arms?

3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Or in handbags - as seems to be the way with female Parisians of a certain age.

I once saw one middle aged woman carrying a small dog in her cleavage. I hope she kept its claws trimmed.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Funny 6

47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

You've never been in Glasgow when Rangers and Celtic are playing each other then..........................

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The thing that worries me is the people who carefully gather the stuff up, then hang the baggy on a bush or railings.

Is it a form of virtue signalling?

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I know exactly what you were implying (the well behaved and socially responsible yoof of Essex). I was being ironic!

A few years ago there used to be a 'lockable' collection bin on the kerbside in the street near me but it was removed because someone complained. After it was removed some dog owners used to throw the bags into the council owned shrubbery next door to my house. One hot summer it became rather noticeable and I complained to the council and the bin was reinstated. A certain neighbour* who was notorious for complaining tried to get a petition up to have the new one removed but she only got a couple of signatures. *She was the person who got the original one removed in the first place.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You've never been in Glasgow when Rangers and Celtic are playing each other then..........................

When Aditi used to teach A  level sociology one of the lectures was about whether or not football could be classed as a religion. I think there have been a number of academic studies on sports fans/teams on that topic. In that part of London most football fans were followers of West Ham.

My mother’s siblings (big family!) were split on political affiliation and supported two football teams. However, not the same split!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The rain seems to have stopped but according to the seaweed wranglers it will return later this evening, just as I'm going out to the SEERS track night.😒

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The rain seems to have stopped but according to the seaweed wranglers it will return later this evening, just as I'm going out to the SEERS track night.😒

Slightly east of you but the rain ceased only for a short time and is back again now. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I think all the dog owners near me pick up the poo as I haven't seen any lying around for a long time.  It is not always the same on the promenade and Links, though it is better than it was.  Down there the council provide quite a lot of wheelie bins and ther are a few bag dispensers.

I went to church this morning and was the first one there as it was my turn to unlock, get things ready and serve.  I was surprised to see that the door was open.  You can't unlock it from outside and both side doors were locked   Either it was left open after a wedding yesterday or the "church fairies" (as today's vicar called them) are about.  Nothing was missing so all was well.  

After church and coffee I had a look at the beach but stayed in the car as it was raw and cold.  Back home I caught up with the phone calls and did some e mails before cooking Hunter's chicken for lunch.

This afternoon I've listened to music and had a nap as Mr. Hernia was upset.  He doesn't like cold damp weather.  I have moved the DVD player so I can reach it without bending which is uncomfortable at present.

I've just started a Sudoku which seems much harder than usual (it is in the Radio Times and says 19/20).  I may not bother with or I just might try again later.  Then after tea I'll read or watch something.

It has rained on and off since lunchtime with a little bit of hail and sleet.  Looking at the forecast I don't think I'll go out tomorrow.  I notice that "View New Content still isn't working - at least not for me, a bit annoying as that is how I normally browse this place.  I think AndyY is having a bad few days!

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2