The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Usual Saturday Mrs NHN tasks, leaving little time for NHN tasks.

Went wayyy down south to a place advertising drinks and snacks, some kind of support place for ex-forces and blue-light folk but open to all, so had a look to suss out - not very exciting but in a nice spot (Port Soderick) that in old times was a day tripping Victorian destination, tramway ride there and boat ride back sort of thing.  Nothing there now bar the building the ex-force folk have.  Had a nice chat and made our excuses as there was some kind of a presentation going on, met some folk we knew.

20240210_1209421.jpg.4d959dcfa0173182491bf8462acd7ffc.jpg

re You Tube 'influencers' there's an American that just buys things seemingly to destroy them for the sole purpose of annoying folk.  He has 7 million subscribers......I can guess how they vote.

@PupCam be careful 'reading' plugs, modern fuels make it just about impossible to really see what is going on.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

A package arrived this morning containing a pair of neoprene knee supports, which I will be trying on later.

Highly recommended. My right knee started giving me trouble while walking every day. A stretchy knee brace has stopped that.

EDIT:

I like the stretchy neoprene ones better than the ones with Velcro to secure them. (Tried both.) Fit matters though and you have to get exactly the right size with the stretchy ones - unlike the Velcro ones which are of course adjustable.

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I've tried on the neoprene knee supports and its like having a new knee.

Glad to hear it!

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added Phil's follow-up.
  • Like 16

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Australian colleagues used to moan about lack, of pumpkins

I've been delighted to leave the Queensland Blue far, far behind.

Mum used to serve it at almost every meal - mashed with copious amounts of butter. The butter didn't help. I detested the stuff. I'm still not keen on members of the squash family. I did enjoy it roasted.

• Friendly/supportive 15

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Pubs and cafes here back in the day before we had to have salad with everything  did offer a "Mixed Grill" ( @Ozexpatriate can confirm!)

On a visit with my son some years ago we had a "mixed grill" breakfast at a local café. While your mileage may vary, for the most part they can be a reasonable facsimile of a Full English* - sans black pudding / blood sausage. They are, of course, not identical.

Aussies left black pudding behind on the old sod.

* Proper versions of which I have had, along with kippers. (I am a fan.)

There are going to be little variations - buttered toast instead of fried slice. The baked beans (if offered) will be the Aussie version, as will the bacon.  English**/US/Australian bacon does vary a lot. The sausage will be an Aussie snag.

When in Rome ...

** I once had a pasta Carbonara dish in the UK with English bacon. It probably violated all of Flavio's / @iL Dottore rules about this dish and tasted quite wrong.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I was slightly annoyed at Incheon as photography with DSLR cameras is prohibited. ... Perhaps counter intuitively there are no restrictions in Beijing Capital.

Beijing doesn't have an implacable, existential threat about 25 miles away with whom they are (technically) still at war.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

The photo at the head of the article looks more like a Noch "Beach Scene" catalogue illustration!

What struck me about the article was not the umbrellas but the first line:

Mayor Rob Ford and Councillor Doug Ford call them part of the gravy train but the $11,565 umbrellas at Sugar Beach are being called a good investment.

The date of the article is 2014.

Rob Ford is quite infamous. It was a field day for late-night comics even in the US.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

We see a fair few of those here in Norfolk...

Where they get put on a ship and travel off to Mexico.

Daffodils or the other things? 🤣

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Chicken and leek pie. Savoy cabbage, pea shoots and mashed potato with gravy to accompany it. 

I knew some of that green stuff was almost as deadly as a Brown Snake............................................................

• Funny 16

9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I knew some of that green stuff was almost as deadly as a Brown Snake............................................................

Just watch the first 10 seconds or so.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I’ve been delighted to leave the Queensland Blue far, far behind.

Me too!!!  

Disgusterous objects which the Aussies seem to enjoy. Likewise those ridiculous little yellow squashes that turn up on roasts and at takeaway food stalls.

Bland, tasteless (even when buttered / seasoned) and like eating a mouthful of cotton wool in my opinion.

But Dr SWMBO, who has grown up eating pumpkins, enjoys them.  She misses the Aussie ones; most which are sold here are for decorative use rather than eating. We do occasionally find a farm shop selling edible varieties which are then roasted.  Anything left over is souped. 

She also grew up eating Vegemite for which I have now forgiven her. Largely because she converted to Marmite. 

Give me a good roast parsnip any day. You can keep your tasteless and hard-to-cut lumpkins. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Likewise those ridiculous little yellow squashes that turn up on roasts and at takeaway food stalls.

Chokos* are the worst but even most Australians don't like them.

* aka Chayote.

There are probably Asian preparations that make Chayote palatable - or at least imbue them with the flavour of the sauce in the dish but traditional "English" approaches to vegetable cookery - like boiling them unto the moment before disintegration - is an utter culinary fail.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I kind of get that as the whole Chinese identity thing is a minefield. The People's Republic of China is itself incredibly diverse , then you have their SAR regions Hong Kong and Macau, and the Republic of China (Taiwan). They're all 'Chinese' by nationality, but then there's the all the Chinese ethnic minority populations in much of Asia which are Indonesia, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Thai etc by nationality (and in many cases language, custom and culture) but still viewed as outsiders by the majority. Or Singapore which has an ethnic Chinese majority but one which probably has as much in common with people in the PRC as an Englishman with a Frenchman (many Singaporean Chinese speak English as their first language and quite a lot cannot speak Mandarin or any other Chinese language). So it's quite common to observe behaviours of that kind towards ethnic Chinese in Asia coming from people who themselves identify or would be identified as Chinese. In Singapore there's a gulf between the native Chinese and those who have immigrated from China. The Singaporeans often complain that the Chinese Chinese are corrupt, a bit shifty, uncouth, obsessed with money etc (it's funny how so many of these tropes are the same around the world regardless of the groups in question) while the Chinese Chinese often deride the Singaporean Chinese for not being able to speak Mandarin etc. It's a bit of a minefield.

My direct report is from Hong Kong - she can’t stand “the Chinese” or more realistically the Party. She and her English husband took part in the umbrella marches til someone pointed out that a white man marching was not the most politic thing.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

traditional "English" approaches to vegetable cookery - like boiling them unto the moment before disintegration - is an utter culinary fail.

I am glad you said “traditional” as we don’t really do that anymore! My gran used to start cabbage the day before and chuck sodium bicarbonate in as well. The Savoy cabbage we had with our pie today was superb. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Me too!!!  

Disgusterous objects which the Aussies seem to enjoy. Likewise those ridiculous little yellow squashes that turn up on roasts and at takeaway food stalls.

Bland, tasteless (even when buttered / seasoned) and like eating a mouthful of cotton wool in my opinion.

But Dr SWMBO, who has grown up eating pumpkins, enjoys them.  She misses the Aussie ones; most which are sold here are for decorative use rather than eating. We do occasionally find a farm shop selling edible varieties which are then roasted.  Anything left over is souped. 

She also grew up eating Vegemite for which I have now forgiven her. Largely because she converted to Marmite. 

Give me a good roast parsnip any day. You can keep your tasteless and hard-to-cut lumpkins. 

The attachment many still have for the Choko is a complete mystery to me.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am glad you said “traditional” as we don’t really do that anymore!

The culinary traditions my grandparents passed down to my mum were pretty dire - other than things like a Sunday roast (wonderful) or Christmas (fruit) cake. The 1960s food scene* of my youth didn't help either.

* Tinned foods presented as healthy - like a salad of leaf lettuce, tinned beetroot slices and cottage cheese - all arranged in a concentric pile.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Chokos* are the worst but even most Australians don't like them.

* aka Chayote.

There are probably Asian preparations that make Chayote palatable - or at least imbue them with the flavour of the sauce in the dish but traditional "English" approaches to vegetable cookery - like boiling them unto the moment before disintegration - is an utter culinary fail.

They are still out there.

Screenshot(284).png.4d8047abed4871ffa82f5d7c4fd8028f.png

In 1973 you could  buy almost 4 porterhouse steak meals for the price of one modern choko.

image.png.2edd5f0ba4e42a5fb2228bab42307ee0.png

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3