The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The serpent right hand grip looked uncomfortable

Its all down to the spread of the holes to get the harmonics.  The Cornett is short enough to have almost recorder sized fingering, while  the tenor of the family is more sinuous, resulting in its name, the Lysard, to get the holes within reach.  The Serpent takes things to its illogical conclusion.  I've never tried to play one myself, but I think its easier to handle sitting down.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The serpent right hand grip looked uncomfortable

I have never heard a serpent before, though I was aware of what they looked like. I had lost touch with a university friend after we got jobs as teachers. He had always been musical but his main instrument was a double bass. Eventually I traced him through the internet but unfortunately it was his obituary. He become rather keen on playing the serpent. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

She also grew up eating Vegemite for which I have now forgiven her. Largely because she converted to Marmite.

I recently got p155ed off with the aggravation of trying to get everything out of a marmite jar, so I thought I'd try vegemite because of its straight-sided jar. After trying it for a few days - I like celery, but I don't normally want to spread it on toast. And at least I understood the passages in Sir Pterry's 'The Last Continent'. I've now relegated the vegemite to "use when making veggie casseroles, or perhaps pommes boulangères", and gone back to low-salt marmite which spreads more easily and might be easier to get out of the jar (or might not, but at least it tastes better).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I recently got p155ed off with the aggravation of trying to get everything out of a marmite jar,

I believe there is a special marmite spoon to extract and spread it. I probably read about it on RMWeb.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

In 1973 you could  buy almost 4 porterhouse steak meals for the price of one modern choko.

image.png.2edd5f0ba4e42a5fb2228bab42307ee0.png

Spaghetti on toast ? Yeughh!

As for the 'Rossmoyne Remembered', google only found a farsebook page and a link to the Daily Fail suggesting nobody knew what it was.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

As for the 'Rossmoyne Remembered', google only found a farsebook page and a link to the Daily Fail suggesting nobody knew what it was.

Its the watermark that the  Facebook group put on it to claim ownership. 

AS for spaghetti on toast, cold  tinned spaghetti was a staple in every schools canteen sandwich options:

image.png.8f17a9d8baa4cebb74ecd9062cf0571b.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

My direct report is from Hong Kong - she can’t stand “the Chinese” or more realistically the Party. She and her English husband took part in the umbrella marches til someone pointed out that a white man marching was not the most politic thing.

The rivalries and enmities between the different groups of Chinese are legion. Which is probably no different from the Anglo-shere really, the most intense rivalry and ill feeling is often between people who share much more than that which separates them. The most vicious wars tend to be civil wars.

The comment about the ladies husband amuses me as I think it is genuinely lost on many British, French, Spanish and Portuguese people especially that telling people about freedom and democracy when they visit their former colonies might not be entirely well received. 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Option at school dinners?

It was take it or you WILL take it at my schools.

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

Spaghetti (Heinz) on toast was something I was served as a child as an occasional alternative at teatime instead of jam sandwiches. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

I left school in 1971. There was no choice, other than go without.  By the time I started teaching in 1975 there seemed to be an element of choice. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

Fun factoid for today: A 30 second advertising spot during tomorrow's Super Bowl will cost $7m.

There are entities that will blow most of their annual advertising as a 'one and done' during the Super Bowl. More attention is paid to commercials during the Super Bowl than at any other time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

That's the reason that I hate rice pudding to this day after being forced to eat it at school. I left at the end of 1970.

Anyway good moaning from the Charente.  Market this morning then lunch at some friends a few miles away. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

The reason I still dislike milk is the memory of being ordered to drink lukewarm milk using a paper straw when I was at primary school. Maggie had my lifelong gratitude for knocking it on the head.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Fun factoid for today: A 30 second advertising spot during tomorrow's Super Bowl will cost $7m.

There are entities that will blow most of their annual advertising as a 'one and done' during the Super Bowl. More attention is paid to commercials during the Super Bowl than at any other time.

I hope Taylor Swift has booked a couple of slots.

Let the MAGAs explode.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The reason I still dislike milk is the memory of being ordered to drink lukewarm milk using a paper straw when I was at primary school. Maggie had my lifelong gratitude for knocking it on the head.

Yes, Milk Snatcher Thatcher.  I remember walking through London shouting that in 1971.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I believe there is a special marmite spoon to extract and spread it. I probably read about it on RMWeb.

I dispense with having to buy a special implement to extract marmite by leaving the cap firmly screwed down, and the jar on the shelf*!

We called Heinz sphagetti "tinned worms", served on toast they were "dead worms". Sphagetti Hoops and Alphabetti Sphagetti were also served up on toast, the latter to prevent individual letters being fished out of the primordial mess and used to create rude words on the edge of the plate...

* Preferably in the shop.

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

** I once had a pasta Carbonara dish in the UK with English bacon. It probably violated all of Flavio's / @iL Dottore rules about this dish and tasted quite wrong.

Harrumph!

Don’t
get me started on carbonara - it’s one of my funny little peculiarities to religiously and obsessively insist that there is only one way to make spaghetti alla carbonara.

Like all idiosyncrasies, this can be traced back to family. My mother (English/Irish) met my father (Italian) in Rome, when she was on tour with a British dance troupe. Mother was a dancer and Father worked in the Vatican library. Anyway, my mother never learned to cook from her mother so all her Italian girlfriends took pity on her, took her under their wings and taught her how to cook proper Italian (mostly Roman) dishes. As young marrieds, as is often the case,  money was not abundant so most of the dishes my mother prepared for my father were cheap and cheerful. And back then spaghetti alla carbonara, was very much cheap and cheerful. And from those days spaghetti alla carbonara became a firm family favourite. Pasta, eggs, Guanciale and black pepper, what could be simpler?

In early and mid 60s Britain Guanciale could not be found for love nor money, but an alternative was found by buying German or Swiss speck which makes a very reasonable substitute for Guancialei (speck is a bit like streaky bacon, but it is cured in a way that gives you an end product very similar in texture and quite close in flavour to Guanciale*)And acquiring speck back then meant an enjoyable excursion with my father to a German deli in Soho to pick up the speck (always cubed or in one solid piece, never sliced). And from my father, I got the insistence that if you are going to do something, you do it properly with the right ingredients or the right tools – depending on what you are doing.

Like very many “simple“ dishes, spaghetti alla carbonara, requires quite considerable skill to get right. The creaminess of the dish does not come from using cream, nor does the saltiness  come from adding Parmesan**; the creaminess comes from the eggs just setting (a bit like moist, scrambled eggs) and the saltiness and sweetness comes from the Guanciale

Unfortunately, in Switzerland they dump cream and cheese in to what they claim is “spaghetti alla carbonara” (probably because Switzerland has an awful lot of milk, cream and cheese to use up); it’s sort of OK, but it certainly isn’t spaghetti alla carbonara.

* properly cured speck should be quite hard when it is in a large piece, like Guanciale. “Soft” versions are best avoided.

**there are some Romans who claim that you can add a little grated pecorino (never Parmesan) to your spaghetti alla carbonara. This however is contentious, and the debate on this matter is quite emotionally partisan (think Celtic vs Rangers).

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4