The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I've just been looking the through the posts ere made in the last hour or so.

For some reason pages 12727 and 12728 have identical posts.

I wonder why?

Edit - Now I have posted this, at the top of page 12729 pages 12727 and 12728 are no longer the same posts.  Even more odd.

Edited by DaveF
To note something even more odd.
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Oh the poor children, who would love to be given what you were rejecting...

I often proposed my portion of Brussels Sprouts at Christmas as a charitable offering. For some reason it was never taken up!

Exactly my point. 

I went so far as to propose the sending all sprouts to the poor children of the world.

Sprouts…all of them….Brussels or otherwise!!!!!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Anyone remember this publication from the Ladybird Book ‘Propaganda Publications’ department?

We definitely had copies of this in our school. However what I obviously didn’t noticed all those years ago, given my young tender age back then, was the not so subtle or grammatically correct way that ‘someone’ within ‘Ladybird Proper-gander Publications’ has threatened to silence the National Farmers Union, by putting it in print on the front cover! 

Perhaps they could have benefited from going back to skool? 

IMG_3361.jpeg.992d93cdecb7fd402892a03877979cd4.jpeg

This next item was a product description written on a well known auction site for anther of their ‘instruction manuals’.

Quote. 

“About this product

Product Information - Boys and Girls.

Were your school dinners liver and onions rather than turkey twizzlers? Was MySpace a den in the back garden built with runner bean canes and bed sheets? And did you want to be a nurse, a train driver, an astronaut or anything other an a celebrity when you grew up? Congratulations! You are a product of the Ladybird generation! This autumn, Ladybird will take you on a trip down memory lane with the publication of Boys and Girls , the ultimate nostalgia book. Lavishly illustrated with iconic images from the Ladybird Books archive dating back to the 1950s, this stylish book will present you with an evocative glimpse into an era free from Playstations and Youtube. It will take you back to your childhood faster than you can say British Bulldog!”

LOL…The above quote was genuine. 

Now the more ‘reconstructed’ amongst us will instantly recognise the ‘dog whistle’ subliminal messaging that has been cleverly and clearly set out in both the positioning of the respective children in the art work on the front cover and in the associated subject title word positioning. 
Although by now it seems that the previous threatening of the National Farmers Union has paid off. I wonder what they knew about the school dinners? 

IMG_3362.jpeg.5a87db405521c5bdb216ae1e65cc01fa.jpeg

….. or indeed the casual racism denoted by the cultural misappropriation of the head wear and housing elements of the picture. 

I’m not sure if you’re extracting the urine or not with the last two paragraphs.

Many things have changed since those days (some for the better, some for the worse) and the past truly is a a different country, so it really irks me when we apply today’s mores and standards to yesteryear.

Not only different mores and standards but also a completely different national demographic.

There is an old saying which goes “the Devil makes work for idle hands” and creating controversy and grievance out of hitherto innocent things is definitely malicious, even if The Devil is/is not involved.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I've just been looking the through the posts ere made in the last hour or so.

For some reason pages 12727 and 12728 have identical posts.

I wonder why?

Edit - Now I have posted this, at the top of page 12729 pages 12727 and 12728 are no longer the same posts.  Even more odd.

Erm…I have been posting a fair bit today. It could be my fault…..that glitch might just be further proof that Big Brother or indeed worse still A.I. Big Brother has been slowly gathering evidence for an ongoing case against me for my irrefutable electronic admission of wasting public resources by failing to eat food based nutritional compounds, substances and solutions, thinly disguised and branded as food, during my years of imprisonment or ‘education’ at one of Her Majesty’s School establishments during the 1970s and 80s. 

Alternatively it may have been that I should have just laid off consuming the 3kg blue cheese, 2 litres of coffee and slightly past their sell by date prawns that number two cub found at the back of the fridge…..

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 12
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Exactly my point. 

I went so far as to propose the sending all sprouts to the poor children of the world.

Sprouts…all of them….Brussels or otherwise!!!!!

Well said, Sir!

I would go as far as to claim that Brussels Sprouts are the brassica equivalent of cheap, tinned, baked beans.

But i’m not sure why you are railing against things like bean sprouts - which add a nice refreshing crunch to Chinese inspired stir-fries.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Not a huge amount of wind today, our sailing was spectacularly unsuccessful. I'm knackered, I might write a report on it tomorrow.

Spaghetti carbonara, I make my own, yes I use smoked bacon rather than pigs cheek, but the rest of the recipe is roughly correct. Anyway it's to my taste..

School dinners

Many things consisted of a watery mess surrounding uncooked hard lumps, whether it be. Mash, frogs spawn or custard.

I don't remember sprouts at school, stewed gas cape (rubbery indestructible  dark green cabbage)  yes,  bullets yes, (hard green peas good for a pea shooter but not much else..)and an orange mush with hard lumps of course, that supposedly was carrots.

I'm going to have a eyelid inspection..

Bye fore now.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

slightly past their sell by date prawns that number two cub found at the back of the fridge…..

I often say when Aditi mentions something is a little past its use by date I remind her that once upon a time sailors had meat rations  had circumnavigated the planet a few times. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

22 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

I have a new client and project, so my general mood has been lifted. This weekend I printed out the full size track plan and put on baseboards. Now I'm starting to mockup the main buildings to get a feel for the "3Dness" of it all.

Next week I'm speaking at a conference, so life's picking up again.

Any photos or clues to what we can expect please Rob? 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

What I remember of my school days, the food was fine, now the level of teaching was diabolical, I was part of some experiment that failed badly and was dumped, had the County Council got any money I would sue them but I know it would be futile.

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I often say when Aditi mentions something is a little past its use by date I remind her that once upon a time sailors had meat rations  had circumnavigated the planet a few times. 

You may have heard of WW1 trench art, where brass shell cases and other ordinance remainders were converted into spill holders, vases, umberells stands and so on.  I have a .303 cartridge case that was converted into a cigarette lighter.

In a similar manner, sailors would carve meat rations that had hardened into something that resembled teak into boxes and suchlike as gifts for their loved ones...

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

£310 for a wallet!!!

Who the heck walks into John Lewis and spends that amount on a wallet?

Not me, definitely not me.  I could purchase a sound fitted loco for that haha

I'd prefer £310 IN a wallet!

You can get them for £3.50 in HomeBargains, you know!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Auto correct, which is really beginning to totally Pi….

The autocorrect on this device seems to have gone mad over the last few days. I dislike it trying to correct URLs, allowing gibberish to remain or to correct correctly spelt words.

When Aditi was writing her doctoral thesis, at first I would hear her tell the PC off when Word suggested her sentences were too long or that hermeneutic was not a word. Instead of creating a special dictionary she just turned off style adviser and spellcheck. 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

Tony what a relief, thank goodness it is not only me….. I was thinking that it could quite possibly be operator error or some kind of degenerative functional breakdown between my brain and my finger tips. 

Or quite possibly by hallucinations brought about by the frankly quite heroic quantities of medication that I am currently taking for this latest bout of plague, especially ‘The Roids’ and the dihydrocodeine…..coupled with an over dose of Fasterlavns Boller, blue cheese, coffee over dose and the slightly out date prawn’s orbs found in the back of the fridge this morning. 

But I’ll happily go with over enthusiastic auto correct….

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The autocorrect on this device seems to have gone mad over the last few days. I dislike it trying to correct URLs, allowing gibberish to remain or to correct correctly spelt words.

When Aditi was writing her doctoral thesis, at first I would hear her tell the PC off when Word suggested her sentences were too long or that hermeneutic was not a word. Instead of creating a special dictionary she just turned off style adviser and spellcheck. 

3 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Tony what a relief, thank goodness it is not only me….. I was thinking that it could quite possibly be operator error or some kind of degenerative functional breakdown between my brain and my finger tips. 

Or quite possibly by hallucinations brought about by the frankly quite heroic quantities of medication that I am currently taking for this latest bout of plague, especially ‘The Roids’ and the dihydrocodeine…..coupled with an over dose of Fasterlavns Boller, blue cheese, coffee over dose and the slightly out date prawn’s orbs found in the back of the fridge this morning. 

But I’ll happily go with over enthusiastic auto correct….

I was beginning to think my typing was even worse than usual.  It is very good to know it isn't just me.

David

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2