The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thanks to the research of ER overseas motoring correspondent with his nose to the ground @Erichill16, we can combine @iL Dottores  love of Japan, with his love of old school pommy  Jagwars, to offer him this:

https://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/global/lineup/viewt/

More than just a  modified Nissan Micra. Much more.....

They've been in production for 35 to 40 years. There was several running in the UK and some may still be on the road. Problem was they were 'grey imports' and difficult to get spares for or even get them serviced.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And so it is.

Low-orbital space is not really that much bigger than airspace for jet aircraft. We could do some rough maths.

I wasn't going to bother but what the heck.

Starlink altitude is 340 km - 614 km. Let's say an altitude of 500 km for grins.

Jets at 35,000' are about 11 km.

Approximating the maneuvering space to be a surface (which it is where avoiding maneuvers are required - it's not necessary at differing altitudes).

The radius of the earth is 6,371 km.

A = 4 π r ^2

So the area of a sphere* of radius 6,871 km (Starlink-ish) is only 16% larger than the area of a sphere of radius 6,382 km (jets).

* Yes I know (there's a 'physicist' joke in there)

It's hardly different from air traffic control.

An added complication is that the bands that geostationary satellites (such as used for satnavs) can orbit are a lot narrower. This is because the satellite stays in orbit by matching its speed to the rate at which gravity is trying to make it fall. Too little speed and it will fall and burn up in the atmosphere, too much and it will fly off into space. As it happens navigation satellites have to be 'tweaked' every so often to retain accuracy.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night, no callouts from bladder control and not much fuss from Arthur Itis. The only fly in the ointment was as I got up I had terrible cramp but fortunately that soon passed but was very painful while it lasted. Bright sunshine at the moment so a bit of the G word while it lasts.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

An added complication is that the bands that geostationary satellites (such as used for satnavs) can orbit are a lot narrower. This is because the satellite stays in orbit by matching its speed to the rate at which gravity is trying to make it fall. Too little speed and it will fall and burn up in the atmosphere, too much and it will fly off into space. As it happens navigation satellites have to be 'tweaked' every so often to retain accuracy.

I think you are confusing GPS satellites with communication satellites. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I think you are confusing GPS satellites with communication satellites. 

The same applies to everything orbiting the Earth from the tiniest item to the ISS. Even the Moon* would go flying off into space if the orbital speed increased.

*The Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth but only at the rate of 10cm (4 inches) a year.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Oooh, oooh, oooh.

Can I have one, please?

Pretty please with knobs on!
Me want!
ME WANT!

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think it may be a bit smaller than the Jaguar it has been influenced by. Probably on a Nissan Micra/Juke  sized floorplan? They have a dealership in Monaco so not so far for @iL Dottore to check out!

It's based on the Nissan Micra floorpan which like the Mini has grown fatter over the years. They are usually Japanese home market only and VERY expensive, perhaps that is why the only European dealership is in Monaco.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The same applies to everything orbiting the Earth from the tiniest item to the ISS. Even the Moon* would go flying off into space if the orbital speed increased.

*The Moon is slowly moving away from the Earth but only at the rate of 10cm (4 inches) a year.

I do actually understand orbits but the satellites for sat nav are not in a geostationary orbit unlike communications satellites, well, at least modern ones.  The original Telstar was in a lower orbit and allowed about 30 minutes of communication from the US to the UK 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

the only European dealership is in Monaco.

We were on a coach tour returning to Monaco. It was about a month before the Grand Prix. However that day there was some sort of supercar rally. Our tour bus somehow was in the cavalcade, definitely not intended.

Tony

• Like 16
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We were on a coach tour returning to Monaco. It was about a month before the Grand Prix. However that day there was some sort of supercar rally. Our tour bus somehow was in the cavalcade, definitely not intended.

Tony

I hope you waved at everyone and looked important!

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It's based on the Nissan Micra floorpan which like the Mini has grown fatter over the years. They are usually Japanese home market only and VERY expensive, perhaps that is why the only European dealership is in Monaco.

I think that it depends upon the model. The Viewt (the Jag Mk II tribute) costs ¥2.25 million in Japan so about £17000 or so. A quick Google search revealed a number of Viewts for sale across the globe, but I didn’t drill down for Switzerland.

The appeal of the Viewt got me thinking: how much of a classic car is actually copyrighted? Obviously, the names Jaguar, Rolls-Royce and Bentley are copyrighted up to the hilt and beyond, but what about classic car shapes and design?  With modern 3-D scanning, modern CAD software and modern production techniques. I don’t think it would be all that difficult to create a perfect replica body shell of say, for the sake of argument, a Jaguar Mark II or Bentley S2. I think that with some appropriate tweaks such a body shell could be mounted on a suitable donor chassis and also modified to meet current safety standards, although, (and here I really do not have any idea and I’m wildly speculating) perhaps for very small production run vehicles different standards apply than for large production run vehicles from the big manufacturers).

These essentially identical to original replicas would not be cheap – being a practically bespoke build, but I would view such replicas like I view an artist’s signature model guitar: a way to get a vintage guitar (in all but age) at a less than bank busting prices (my Fender Custom Shop, David Gilmour Black Strat was but a tiny fraction of the $5 million the real David Gilmour Black Strat fetched at auction).

Not everyone has the reddies to buy a 1952 Bentley Continental R

image.png.fa83df09b48807deecf6142db59a74b5.png

(yours for a mere US$ 995,000) But a high quality replica that costs the same as a mid-range BMW would, I think, be sought after.

Were such replicas possible, I would speculate that the replicas could get Bentley, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, et cetera, rather worried as a lot of  potential customers of theirs would turn away from their bloatmobiles for that classic Jaguar/Bentley/Rolls-Royce look.

If a replica of the 1952 Bentley Continental R above was identical in comfort and style to the original, I wouldn’t be particularly fussed if it didn’t have the Bentley name or badge on it. I would certainly get one if I could – although I would insist on it being finished in British Racing Green with red leather interior.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Cheers everyone. Bit of a proper lifesign at last…

This sinusitis that has developed in recent days certainly is something aggro. Let’s just say the past few nights have been non-events and I certainly feel accordingly. Haven’t dozed off in daytime like I’m currently doing for a long time for sure.

Stay safe…

• Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Athelstan launched his assault on the Vikings on the Isles of Scilly,

Now that is something I knew nothing of - vikings on the Isles of Scilly or Athelstan's assault. I don't recall Michael Wood mentioning it on the telly all those years ago - or in his book (I was given the recently revised and updated version last year). And nor do I recall that detail from my degree, where I did choose to do quite a bit about the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings. Time for some research when I get a moment away from work. which I suppose i had better return to.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Now that is something I knew nothing of - vikings on the Isles of Scilly or Athelstan's assault.

Athelstan vowed to build a church at St Buryan if he evicted the vikings. He did and the remains of his church are incorporated into the north east of the existing building.

DSCF2774.JPG

And here's some of the story  https://classic-sailing.com/article/the-isles-of-scilly-archipelago/#:~:text=In the mid-12th century,in Syllingar and plundered it.”

Edited by Coombe Barton
Addition, not Typoman this time
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11