RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Which takes me back to the point of this ramble, the seasonality of Seville oranges. Obviously they're all picked at around the same time, mid-late January, so it really surprises me that it takes three weeks longer to ship them from Spain to the Pacific coast of North America than it does to Britain. Do they send them by boat? Anyway, hardly surprising they're in poor condition by the time they get to you.

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

I would be surprised if they didn't ship by boat.  Airfreight over that distance is going to cost around $6US/kg so adding $12 to that 2kg bag! 

26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I read that much of the Spanish Seville orange crop comes to Britain for marmalade; are Seville oranges grown in the Americas, at all?

20 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Seems so.  From Wiki:

It was introduced to Florida and the Bahamas from Spain,[3] and wild trees are found near small streams in generally secluded and wooded areas.

The Seville oranges we get here (the Lower Mainland of British Columbia) come from California, as does most of the citrus fruit sold here, and a lot of other agricultural products. 

The commonest citrus brand (as distinct from ‘anonymous’ product) and the only one that I know of for Seville oranges is “Buck Brand”:

https://www.thriftyfoods.com/about-us/products-we-love/buck-brand-citrus

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, pH said:

The Seville oranges we get here (the Lower Mainland of British Columbia) come from California, as does most of the citrus fruit sold here, and a lot of other agricultural products. 

Ah, well, that would account for the difference in timing of the season.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A very soggy afternoon today, but it is reckoned to clear up by this evening, I do hope so. About time for a late lunch, be back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Amazon man paddled in ( literally) . Though the tracker still says he's 3 stops away.

All stuff ok.

I'm still soggy.

So's Ben

Eyelid inspection time.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

The other day we had rather a sad piece of post - it was the latest telephone directory. It was a thin and weedy thing, something which no self esteeming strongman would break sweat tearing in two.  ....

No souvenirs in the Lurker household though - Mrs Lurker quickly pointed out it could go straight in the recycling bin!

I've found the thin ones are useful kneeling mats. Not thick ones as the edges can dig into your shins but the 'weedy' ones are useful for weeding, whether kneeling on flags or damp grass. So mine take a circuitous route to the recycling! 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

No worse than making tea in a microwave which, I understand, is the preferred American method.

It's not. Some would certainly microwave a mug of water and then use a tea bag - particularly for one person, rather than waiting for the kettle to boil.

The kettle (electric or otherwise) is not an unknown device. There are other ways to produce hot water. There are tea capsules for capsule coffee makers as well. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Isn't that what you're trying to achieve now, only quicker?

Weight loss involving double-enders most definitely isn't this Bear's idea of fun.....🤮💩

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Magnificent - CCI GmbH has surpassed itself yet again; your 5% is well deserved.

I think that you have been misreading CCI GmbH's yearly report:

• 5% is the dividend paid to investors.
  • 25% is the CEO pay rise for 2023/2024.
  • 65% of base salary "Bonus" to the CEO due to "exceptional" company performance.

all duly and properly approved by the board of directors (The Alpine Angel of Death, Throat-ripper and The Emasculator).

Of course CCI GmbH being a socially responsible company, is careful to keep board remuneration in line with that seen in the UK private sector....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16