RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Of course, none of the success of bands like The Boat Strokers, Afterburner, Pink Polar Bears or Psychotic Bimblers would have been possible without Sam "the guitar's too toppy" Collie - legendary sound engineer and producer - the one that Alan Parsons acknowledges as being without parallel...

SamTheCollie.jpg.55c0eef12e8d55e1604eaf3f4f2b7f0e.jpg

Sam's family have inherited Sam's skills and Sam's great-grandson Ben the "can't you follow a *$£&* click track" collie will be mixing and producing the new Old and Still Nasty album

Edited by iL Dottore
Removed duplicate image
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Screaming Eagle of Afterburner (aka @Dave Hunt) on vocals.

ScreamingEagle.jpg.41057cb8dd9e78ada5040c8ff98201fe.jpg

Afterburner were never known for their subtlety...

3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

“That feels like a well packed lunch box”

And those sharp fingernails help him hit the high notes.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Tomboy Harridan of the Pink Polar Bears (aka Polina Bear, cousin of @polybear) on drums

_2dc91537-fef4-42fa-bb87-c305366cc4d4.jpg.e823994188f42f6484510cf431a08e72.jpg

This photo was taken seconds before the infamous episode when she head-butted (and broke the nose of) a BBC reporter who was trying to take some of her cake.

I think @polybear would have approved.

Only his nose??  She must've been in an unusually forgiving mood....

51 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Screaming Eagle of Afterburner (aka @Dave Hunt) on vocals.

ScreamingEagle.jpg.41057cb8dd9e78ada5040c8ff98201fe.jpg

Afterburner were never known for their subtlety...

Several socks......

• Funny 12

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

I Suspect Americans are a lot more frightened of medical bills if they do pick up a nasty eating on shore than Brits .

There are many types of 'cruisers' in the US.

Many will have spent their budget on their package. Knowing there will be a big bill with gratuities, they elect not to spend anything ashore, knowing they will have more than enough to eat on board.

They will likely be aware of (even if it doesn't impact behaviour while aboard) the impact to their waistline of cruising.

The problem with cruisers not spending money is big issue. I remember reading an article on (I think Bruges) where the town was thronged with tight-fisted tourists during the day with no one there at night when the cruisers are back aboard. The local merchants and restauranteurs were not happy.

This was pre-pandemic:

CNN: Popular medieval Belgian town Bruges makes moves to restrict tourism

Independent:  Bruges cracks down on overtourism to avoid becoming ‘complete Disneyland’

Other cruise destinations had similar misgivings.

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Also I believe public transport other than flying is something not done and practically non existent outside big cities, even then often regarded as something for "the poor".

Access to public transport is highly variable in the US. Even in larger cities, relatively few will have access to railed transit.

Buses can be problematic.

University of Washington: UW assessment finds fentanyl and methamphetamine smoke linger on public transit vehicles

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I am always taken aback in North America at trains that only run into town in the morning rush and out of town in the evening with nothing much or at all in the opposite direction and between the rushes. This is alien to us in the UK where our trains tend to run all day. Sidcup has 4 trains an hour in each direction outside the rush and 7 an hour during the rush.

Services in Vancouver and Seattle don’t have anything like the frequency or bi-directional facility.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

On another subject, I'm halfway through watching the Barbie movie right now - more enjoyable - and politically relevant -  than expected!

How on earth did you miss out on that observation? The first two-thirds were brilliant. The last third less so. Trying to accomplish what Greta G. was trying to pull off was a heavy lift.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Throw in a large dose of brainwashing since Day One, being controlled by those in power (and intend to stay there - Russia/North Korea/Iran etc etc.)

Those are not the only places guilty of 'brainwashing' people about their nation state's glorious past and culture.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The problem with cruisers not spending money is big issue. I remember reading an article on (I think Bruges) where the town was thronged with tight-fisted tourists during the day with no one there at night when the cruisers are back aboard. The local merchants and restauranteurs were not happy.

Another reason why Venice is less than happy with the Cruise Ships - it's not just the damage that was being done (though I understand that they're no longer allowed in, having to moor elsewhere now) but the fact that the Passengers overrun the City yet spend next to buggerall whilst there.

• Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I am always taken aback in North America at trains that only run into town in the morning rush and out of town in the evening with nothing much or at all in the opposite direction and between the rushes.

There is a transit 'option' called Westside Express in the Portland westside metro. It is a (the world's ugliest) diesel railcar and trailers.  It  leases track rights from a freight carrying railroad (Portland and Western Railroad / Willamette and Pacific Railroad) and while its diagrams are symmetrical (back and forth), it only runs on weekday mornings and evenings - freight services run at other times of the day.

Unless you live/work immediately next to the termini it is utterly pointless.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Had the television on in the background while here this morning. Golf in Florida is rain delayed, and live tennis doesn't begin for some hours yet. Plenty of college basketball available but I'm not interested in that. Last night's Mexican Open tennis (which I watched already is on.)

Today sees no valley snow - just light, cold rain.

Time to do something else I think.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have visited Bruges several times in the past. Usually I use the local restaurants and shop locally* so there's no problems with underspending. *The chocolate shops are a must.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Seems like a @PupCam Pupperz kinda project - bung in an Arduino, sound, DIY DCC.....

With or without the cat?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

With or without the cat?

Definitely with - can't make it too easy....

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I have visited Bruges several times in the past. Usually I use the local restaurants and shop locally* so there's no problems with underspending. *The chocolate shops are a must.

When we last went it was early September (2018) and we arrived at about 8pm after driving all day from Karlsruhe. It was raining. We had no problem finding somewhere to eat. The next day we wandered about, it wasn’t crowded. Beer and chocolate may have  been purchased. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1