Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Ah but was that your hand holding that pint? 😉

Sizewise I'd have gone with it being  a schooner, unless  the guy had the opposite of Donald Trump tinyhands.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Governments up for re-election:  Are you having trouble convincing voters that the platform you are running on is anything other than palid reheats of the way you've been doing things for your whole term?

Then you could do a lot worse than looking to the Tasmanian Liberal party for fresh vote catching ideas, including the promise to build the world's largest chocolate fountain!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/mar/10/pure-imagination-tasmanian-premier-vows-to-build-worlds-largest-chocolate-fountain-if-re-elected?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Though he's also promised to open up protected forests for logging , so it's snakes and ladders with them...

Same here in the UK, the present government is trailing in the polls (badly). I don't think a chocolate fountain will do Ritchie Sunak any good.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another good night last night, six hours solid sleep then another two hours. Rather damp and dismal outside but plenty to do indoors, housework and washing😒.

• Friendly/supportive 16

Well on that note I’m off for the afternoon, to Gotham to drink beer, watch the football and loose my voice yelling and singing at the Amex Stadium. “SEAGULLS!!!!!!” 

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

No new squelching here in Norfolk, this mornings drizzle stopped.

I note an outbreak of houses for sale it must be approaching Easter. The house attached to the cremated Swan pub is up for sale again. It was for sale when the roof / top floor caught fire along with the pub. But then of course had to be withdrawn.

Any way today was the Ramuz trophy and the Kookaburra trophy.  Traditionally that was a down river race have lunch then race the other one on the way back. But that's not possible on the new site.

All boats count, but they started the dinghies 5 minutes after us. So final positions after calculating all the handicaps I've no idea.

Now at the new site it's two long races. Forecast 20 to 30 mph, actually 10 to 20 mph, supposedly easterly, but actually often north easterly.

Race 1, course, 6p, 5s, 2p, 1p, 3p 12 laps.

Started the race and was over... Only by inches, but it of course took time to turn round records the line then restart.

So we were last, by buoy 6 we were up behind the last boat, after the reach down to buoy 5you then had a choice tack fairly soon or close haul for a distance then tack. We decided to close haul  further than anyone else, it paid off, we arrived at buoy 2 ahead of the next boat.

After bouy 1 was the longest leg of the course, all the other boats went high  trying to get above each other , so we straight lined the course, it paid off, we cut the distance to the next group of boats. Two laps later we were tight up behind them. On this lap they went high again and we drew along side but some distance down wind of them. As we approached bouy 3 we got a nice gust of wind overtook the other boats, and were able to pull up in front of the others to the buoy. So except for the Star in the far distance we were in the lead.

The next leg was into the wind and we are still not sailing as high as we should. One boat got above us and was in the lead before buoy 6, then down to 5 another boat first blocked our wind then got though.  Then ext few laps we kept getting close even over lapping but never got past the lead two boats..

Race two, same course, a the 5 minute horn I went to unfurl the Genoa, it didn't, it wrapped itself up in the forestay, various things were tried, nothing doing. So we ended up dropping the Genoa unhooking the top untangling the forestay then hauling it up. This meant we were approximately 1 minutes late for the starting horn... The Star just disappeared off ahead and all we could do was chase.. 

After many laps we finished, no change in places. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

We have another supporter here???  

Yes…yes we do…….AND we WON. 🤪 and I drank numerous pints of Harvey’s. Old Ale, Best, Stout, Porter, Porter, Old, Old, Porter and Old…….AND….WE WON…..did I mention that? ….”SEEEEEEEEGULLLS!!!!!!!”…..happy Grizz and number 1 cub. 

Gonna probs fall asweep after supper……☺️

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4