The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

If a dog can get in, can a gorilla get out?  Last video I saw of this enclosure was the silverback getting out of his pen whilst some keepers were coming in with food and one was temporarily stuck with a great ape between them and safety.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

In other other news just finished a mighty fine if late tea (or is it dinner).

As a child my mum made an amazing dish: braised steak followed by a layer of bacon then peppers, onion and tomato plus stock with fried mashed potatoes.

Finally convinced Mrs W to give it a try and she loved it.

Only problem was I didn’t start it till near enough 7pm and it took 2 1/2 hours to cook.  But it went well and now we’re full.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another day of unsettled weather, sunshine, rain,sunshine, rain etc, you get the picture. 

Anyway, I managed to get the undercoating finished, just as Max turned up for his model making session. He’s getting quite confident now, Sheila is surprised at how well I think he’s doing, as he’s only had about 4 sessions. But I think that ‘students’ who want to learn, learn so much quicker than those who don’t. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

If a dog can get in, can a gorilla get out? 

San Diego Zoo is world-class. It is one of the best in the country. The dog likely jumped down. Clearly it couldn't get out the way it got in - or it would have.

According to the story the dog was loose. They are not allowed in the zoo.

The story was from June 2022.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 11

21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

San Diego Zoo is world-class. It is one of the best in the country. The dog likely jumped down. Clearly it couldn't get out the way it got in - or it would have.

According to the story the dog was loose. They are not allowed in the zoo.

The story was from June 2022.

Just established the Keeper incident was Fort Worth zoo, not San Diego.

Scary!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Went to a rly show in the next city this morning.  Not my wife's favourite -- mostly guys selling their old stuff and very few displays. One layout that she liked.  I didn't spend anything but she spent $1.00 on a souvenir "license plate" for Horseshoe Curve.

Started snowing as we left -- small hard particles -- but was gone by the time we reached home. 3 hours later we went for a walk and the snow started.

The show was held at Bingemann's which is an arena plus. When I was in 1st year university a group from the residence went roller skating there. One of the girls came back highly indignant. They'd asked her age at the ticket booth.  The price level changed at age 12.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Just established the Keeper incident was Fort Worth zoo, not San Diego.

Yes, separate from the dog video you posted earlier. This is from October 2023 and recently "viral" as the video was posted last week.

From an Orlando Florida television station:

Due to keeper error, staff entered the yard unaware that the silverback was still in its habitat. The zookeepers work with and train these animals every day and thanks to their knowledge and expertise, they navigated the situation calmly and were able to exit the yard safely. Understandably, the sharing of this video has been emotional for all keepers involved.”

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

Another day north of 20°C with blue skies. Out walking this morning the Sakura at the High School is starting to bloom.

image.png.fc9ae301aaff1ad2e33c64a8f3d6b8c8.png

Still needs a couple of days before it is in full bloom. Probably just in time for the rain to return midweek with more seasonable temperatures of around 13°C.

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

Cold ‘n’ wet this morning.

Interesting posts about things being sweeter (and mushier) than in the past. A number of Chefs, food scientists and other commentators have noted that not only are fruits being bred to be far sweeter than they used to be with the ubiquitous use of High Fructose Corn Syrup (a byproduct of US agricultural policy: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/07/18/486051480/we-subsidize-crops-we-should-eat-less-of-does-this-fatten-us-up) practically all mass produced food (especially UPF things) is sweeter than the made-from-scratch-with-real-ingredients equivalents.

I think that this sweetness derives from the 70s when fat and salt were demonised and stripped out - as far as was feasible - from factory produced food and (to keep people buying the stuff) HFCS and other refined carbs were used to “maintain flavour”. Too much salt and fat IS certainly bad for you, but salt helps bring out flavour and fat satiates. Carbohydrates alone won’t satiate and - as our resident carbovore @polybear can attest - a calorifically appropriate portion size of a carbohydrate heavy food (such as oven chips) is fairly small. So in order to satiate oneself on a high carb diet one ends up eating an excessive amount of carbohydrate calories. Which is not really a good idea, as the body preferentially metabolises carbohydrates (followed by fats and then protein) and unused calories gets stored as “unsightly flab”.

Final thought: some people claim that UPF are a addictive as narcotics, alcohol and nicotine - and just as hard to give up.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Mussels in a white wine and garlic sauce were eaten then..

Baz

That's what we had last night as well.  800 g of mussels €4.60 at the market. 

Very nice they were as well. 

Jamie

• Like 15

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

In other other news just finished a mighty fine if late tea (or is it dinner).

A most interesting question and the answer will be driven by social class and by region. 

Certainly in the South of the UK, those who consider themselves of the “middling classes” will have breakfast, lunch and dinner, with “brunch” being a combination of breakfast and lunch, whilst “supper” is a lighter (and later) meal than dinner. For those with disposable incomes and plenty of time there is also “afternoon tea”.

For the working class (and “Oop North”) it’s more likely to be breakfast, dinner, tea.

Interestingly, in other European languages you don’t have this social mealtime divide: For all classes it’s:

• German: Frühstuck, mittagsessen, abendessen.
  • Italian: Primo colazione, pranzo, cena.
  • French: petit-déjeuner, déjeuner, dîner
  • Spanish: desayuno, almuerzo, cena

And so on.

Probably helps explain why in the UK certain foods are considered “posh” - something not seen on the continent!

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Oh I meant to mention one of my nieces had her air fryer  ( tower brand) catch fire yesterday luckily she was in the kitchen and hit the off switch. It was from the equipment compartment not the cooking compartment.

Bear is always vary wary of kitchen gadgets - the idea of leaving a washing machine or dryer (which I don't have) on whilst out or overnight is a Big No-No in Bear Castle; there are nine smoke alarms** in Bear Castle, plus a heat alarm in the Kitchen (apparently the sensors in smoke alarms get bvggered by airborne cooking particles)

**Including one in the Airing Cupboard (there's leccy items in there) plus two in the muddlin' room (different types of technology to detect slow, smouldering fires or fast ones).

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

...... the on line AGM was attended.. some people should learn to use brain before gobbling off!

Er, you might want to re-phrase that......😯

34 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

For the working class (and “Oop North”) it’s more likely to be breakfast, dinner, tea.

"Down South" Bear fits into this category.....I know my place.....

(Though swapping din dins with tea is fairly common depending on activities)

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

VSO'C start (0430) for a paddle in the pool from 6am; not sure just how long you have to be doin' this lark before it starts to become "fun" 😐

Now back at Bear Castle - paddlin' stuff has just finished being washed; various minor missions "on the list" plus Mickey needs a wash - just how much of that lot (especially the last one) will actually get done remains to be seen......

ION...

Bear has noticed a distinct lack of @grandadbob lately - hope all is ok....

BG

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A most interesting question and the answer will be driven by social class and by region. 

Certainly in the South of the UK, those who consider themselves of the “middling classes” will have breakfast, lunch and dinner, with “brunch” being a combination of breakfast and lunch, whilst “supper” is a lighter (and later) meal than dinner. For those with disposable incomes and plenty of time there is also “afternoon tea”.

Interestingly, in other European languages you don’t have this social mealtime divide: For all classes it’s:

• German: Früstuck, mittagsessen, abendessen.
  • Italian: Primo colazione, pranzo, cena.
  • French: petit-déjeuner, déjeuner, dîner
  • Spanish: desayuno, almuerzo, cena

And so on.

Probably helps explain why in the UK certain foods are considered “posh” - something not seen on the continent!

We are neither "monied" nor "posh" but we did indulge in both brunch and afternoon tea yesterday.   

In fairness we also did not indulge in either breakfast nor lunch but did "do" dinner later on.  

We planned our day around the afternoon tea with friends in order to not over-eat nor try to stretch intervals between meals to more than we normally do.  

Therefore brunch was enjoyed mid-morning and comprised of French Toast (or eggy-bread if you're not being posh!) with bacon and maple syrup.  Dinner was roast cluckbird with veggies.  And mid-afternoon four of us enjoyed Dr. SWMBO's home-made scones with jam (first), clotted cream (on top) and tea as we sat and talked around the table.  All very fine and enjoyable.  

Today it is back to "work" in order to submit the book for proofreading by tonight.  Dr. SWMBO has to make the weekly trek to London and on this occasion will be inconvenienced by the Orange Army interfering with something or another and enforcing a coach trip between Plymouth and Tiverton.  

Muggertea the First has been consumed.  It is almost time for the second.  I'll do a bit more tidying of the text first.  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

...... the on line AGM was attended.. some people should learn to use brain before gobbling off!

Er, you might want to re-phrase that......😯

It's just his tripe-writer having a fantasy all of its own 🤦‍♂️

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Oh I meant to mention one of my nieces had her air fryer  ( tower brand) catch fire yesterday luckily she was in the kitchen and hit the off switch. It was from the equipment compartment not the cooking compartment.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/rise-air-fryer-fire-reports-27991639

I'm now taking to switching mine off at the socket, not that there's been any problems with it.  

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1