The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Someone mentioned on Radio 2 a short time ago they returned from Portugal with “an obscene amount of custard tarts”

Me thinks it’s about time a certain Bear investigated such items further - purely in the interests of science you understand…..

Now where can Bear obtain such things in the uk?

Try Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and M&S. I’ve not tried other supermarkets so they may also sell them. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather can’t make its mind up at the moment, one minute the sun is shining, the next the sky is dark and looks as though it could rain at any minute. So, I’ve decided to stay inside today and make a start putting some top coat on the cellar woodwork. I normally give this sort of thing 2 coats, so I expect to get one done today and the last one tomorrow or Thursday. 

Well, that brush (unfortunately) won’t operate itself, so I’d best get on with it. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

@Grizz  is the bear to ask, I think he has spotted many Custard Tarts a la Portugese, but they're in one of those "posh" supermarkets.

Must admit, they look remarkably moreish!

It always amuses me to see various posters on ER go on about “posh” supermarkets, shops, restaurants and the like.

When I’m in the UK, I do shop for “found-in-Britain-only“ ingredients, and in sourcing them, I’ve been to branches of all of the national supermarket chains. And none of them, by any stretch of the definition, could be considered “posh”

Some supermarkets do have better quality foodstuffs, true; but sustainably sourced, high-animal-welfare, non-UPF foodstuffs from farmers who get paid fairly for what they supply isn’t the province of the über-rich. It’s something that you find in farmer’s markets across Europe (and even the European supermarket chains - like Migros in Switzerland - stock such high quality foodstuffs). Even places like Borough Market in London, the prices of sustainably sourced, high-animal-welfare, non-UPF foodstuffs from farmers who get paid fairly for what they supply are not out of line for that sort of quality. The ubiquitousness and cheapness of UPF from food conglomerates in the UK has skewed many (most?) people’s perception of what food should cost.

Also, I suspect the same sort of mental gymnastics is going on with the ER definition of “posh“ as happens in the Guardian with their definition of “rich“. Just as “rich” to a Guardian columnist is “anyone who earns more than me”; so on ER “posh” equals “costs more than I’m willing to pay”.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It always amuses me to see various posters on ER go on about “posh” supermarkets, shops, restaurants and the like.

When I’m in the UK, I do shop for “found-in-Britain-only“ ingredients, and in sourcing them, I’ve been to branches of all of the national supermarket chains. And none of them, by any stretch of the definition, could be considered “posh”

Some supermarkets do have better quality foodstuffs, true; but sustainably sourced, high-animal-welfare, non-UPF foodstuffs from farmers who get paid fairly for what they supply isn’t the province of the über-rich. It’s something that you find in farmer’s markets across Europe (and even the European supermarket chains - like Migros in Switzerland - stock such high quality foodstuffs). Even places like Borough Market in London, the prices of sustainably sourced, high-animal-welfare, non-UPF foodstuffs from farmers who get paid fairly for what they supply are not out of line for that sort of quality. The ubiquitousness and cheapness of UPF from food conglomerates in the UK has skewed many (most?) people’s perception of what food should cost.

Also, I suspect the same sort of mental gymnastics is going on with the ER definition of “posh“ as happens in the Guardian with their definition of “rich“. Just as “rich” to a Guardian columnist is “anyone who earns more than me”; so on ER “posh” equals “costs more than I’m willing to pay”.

Fortunately where I live places such as farm shops are not that far away, within a half hours drive at most. When I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch there were even some farm shops only a short distance away that done their own slaughtering/butchery. There was also a fishmonger who purchased his stock by the cran straight off of the boat.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Food in Singapore is very expensive, almost everything is imported and even frozen and dry/tinned goods are far from cheap. Chilled and fresh stuff flown in can be bonkers.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

so on ER “posh” equals “costs more than I’m willing to pay”.

I think you are overthinking the current use of the word “posh”. It isn’t really a serious term linked to class and/or income. It is really more ironic or humorous.

• Like 7
  • Agree 10

@jjb1970 does make a good point, although I don’t entirely agree with all his premises.

Certainly, the price of something doesn’t necessarily reflect its quality (Captain Cynical commented that a lot of the “stuff” aimed at the “nouveau riche/oligarch/petro-sheikh set” is incredibly expensive, incredibly tacky and frequently with [to use a business term] an appalling cost/benefit ratio. And some is quite shoddy).

And cheap - in the long run - can be incredibly more costly than “expensive” (as Terry Pratchett has observed via his character Sam Vimes).

My social & family circles are quite broad and include some very HNWI* “old money” individuals. What I have noted is that they really don’t spend that much money (relatively speaking). Everything they buy is incredibly high quality, built - and bought - to last and they never throw anything away (repair, not replace).

One fellow I knew in England (a solicitor) was fortunate to have the same sizes in clothes and shoes as his father (a Barrister, I think)  - so was guaranteed a steady supply of Savile Row suits and bespoke shoes (Lobbs, I think) from his father. Those suits not battered enough to be used for gardening were “upcycled” by being passed on to junior. Such was/is the quality of a Savile Row suit (current starting price for a bespoke Savile Row suit is around £3500) that it looked as good when handed down as when it was first built by the tailor**

* HNWI = High Net Worth Individual. People with > US$ 1 million in assets excluding principal residence.

** All bespoke suits have generous margins of “spare” cloth along the seams - allowing the suit to be let out to cope with increasing girth. Something not present in most off-the-peg suits which use exactly just enough cloth to make the suit with nothing left over for “letting out”.

Edited by iL Dottore
Format
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think you are overthinking the current use of the word “posh”. It isn’t really a serious term linked to class and/or income. It is really more ironic or humorous.

I disagree Tony, I think that it’s used in the “serious” sense by many (including on ER).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

Going shopping with MiL has become very stressful. She has perfect recall of prices from about 40 years ago but no memory of last week’s shopping. So, she is keen to go to the shops but won’t buy anything. She seems quite happy with a bill total, it’s is just the individual items. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Going shopping with MiL has become very stressful. She has perfect recall of prices from about 40 years ago but no memory of last week’s shopping. So, she is keen to go to the shops but won’t buy anything. She seems quite happy with a bill total, it’s is just the individual items. 

Mrs W is like that as I do the shopping in the main, she remembers prices like it was 2018 and I have to remind her things are very different now.

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

That I can certainly sympathise with.

I left the UK in 1988, so my financial frame of reference for £ Sterling dates from then.

So it leads to some rather interesting double-takes. In pubs - when I’m charged £6.50 for a pint - my first reaction is “How Much??” (a pint cost about £1.50 back in 1988), but then I convert it to SFr and my reaction is “that’s roughly SFr7.20 - about right for eine grosses”.

Both Japan and Switzerland have the reputation of being incredibly expensive, but the UK - especially London - can now be as costly if not more costly than visiting Japan or Switzerland (of course in all three countries you can easily drop £25,000/night or more for an Executive/Presidential/Imperial Suite, but for an average good quality middle of the road accommodation it is now more expensive in London than in Tokyo).

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We have just booked our accommodation for two weeks in Japan in early June. The average cost per night (for the whole family of four) is under £70. This is for major cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji and Fukuoka*) so places that you would expect to attract premium prices. I’ve not tried booking accommodation for central London recently (given that we lived there it would have been fairly pointless) but I suspect that we would struggle to book similar accommodation as cheaply. Transport seems fairly reasonable too (setting aside the two bullet train journeys although they are not that outrageous). Our initial impression is that Japan might not be as expensive as its reputation would suggest, supporting @iL Dottore view above.

*Stop giggling at the back… I’d never heard of it but we’re getting a ferry on to South Korea and that is where it leaves from.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

ION for @PupCam Puppers amusement.

The friend we met yesterday has a fleet of old transport choices, but was on his Beezer C12+  It is a + as it is quite modified in terms of engine internals and carburettor, and electrically too with much improvements and even indicators on such an old steed.

AndysC12.jpg.127fe5093a118da29e5034c53288e9e2.jpg

I see it's left its mark just like all good Beezas should!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Use of the word Posh, by our French friends and neighbours surprised me but use it they did in it's usual meaning.  In this case to describe a new inhabitant of the village.  They had no idea of the origin of the word and laughed when I explained it to them. My grandparents, who worked in India were definitely Starboard out and Port home. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Flanged Wheel said:

We have just booked our accommodation for two weeks in Japan in early June.

Oh dear!

Not the fact that you’re off to Japan, but rather that you have chosen to go in June (been there, done that, got the sweat-soaked t-shirt). Last year, I was in Japan in June and it was both very hot and very humid! Kyoto was definitely a city-sized sauna when I was there. It was the hottest and most humid June in recent memory and they are predicting the same for this year.

A light drip-dry, no iron, short-sleeved shirt was a godsend (get back to the hotel room, wash out the shirt using traveler’s detergent, hang it up and the next morning you have a fresh and unwrinkled shirt to wear). But I only had two. I would say you’d need at least three.

A couple of tips, if I may.

• When in Japan, be Japanese. In other words, when there observe the courtesies and social niceties the Japanese observe. They are tolerant of foreigners - but behaving more like a local gets you approval and brownie points.
  • Travelling on public transport is easy, signage is 95%+ also in English. But beware, there is an etiquette to railway, metro and bus travel you’d be well advised to adhere to.
  • Depending upon how long your Shinkansen trip will be, an Ekiben lunch box is an enjoyable treat (bought before boarding).
  • Learn a few basic polite phrases. Especially the various “thank yous”
  • If you are travelling with kids, it is expected that they will be behaved in public areas.
  • Convenience stores (Konbini) like Lawson, 7-11 and Family Mart are great places to grab a light lunch - they have plenty of “sando” (sandwiches) including fruit and cream sandwiches (weird but nice) Japanese pot noodles make all other pot noodleslook substandard!.
  • There’s MUCH more to Japanese food than just sushi or tempura. Karaage (Japanese fried chicken) is addictive and - surprisingly for a country where so few are overweight (let alone obese) - there are a lot of deep fried crunchy things to enjoy. With an abundance of deep fried crunchy things and noodles sprogs can be easily fed without resorting to burgers or pizza.
  • In addition to a JR pass, an IC Card or a SUICA card is essential for getting around (local travel). Some cards (I forgot which) cover a number of cities (Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka) in one.

Have fun!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1