The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mr Amazon man has delivered 10,200 pins, they are as described and very similar to the peco blackened pins. But silver.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Hmm I don't know what's got into Ben today, but he's just taken me for his longest walk ever..  we got to our normal turning point and he wanted to go.. and on... Then on crossing our muddly lane starting point, he asked  to go round again...

Is it perhaps time for Ben to have a “well doggie” vet visit?

He is, like Lucy and Schotty, getting older and like humans, even if no symptomatology is present, a once yearly MOT is a good idea. Schotty and Lucy have their “well doggie” check ups when they go for their yearly vaccinations.

A yearly “well human” MOT after a certain age (50 or 60 - depending upon family history) is an essential part of staying healthy as you get older. By having a “Well human” check up your GP can catch small problems before they become large problems and, as is frequently the case, the small problems can either be made to go away or prevented from becoming big problems by appropriate intervention.

Unfortunately, it may be difficult to get a “well human” MOT in the UK (unless you pay for it) - partly because the NHS tends to be reactive as opposed to proactive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I heard news that made the heart feel like it had been gripped by an icy claw and made the blood run cold yesterday. The UK permanent representative to IMO has been replaced, the post is being taken away from the MCA (Coastguard Agency, staffed by people with some understanding of and interest in shipping and maritime affairs) and given to DfT. What could possibly go wrong. The general consensus I have heard is that the UK has taken another step down the pecking order as even in maritime affairs DfT has a toxic reputation and it is only havng the MCA between them and the world that keeps things as on track as they are.

It does seem that of all the various UK departments of state, the DfT is second only to the DWP for sheer incompetence and an appalling reputation.

Regardless of the political arguments around privatisation, a competent DfT would not have allowed the privatised railways to basically self-destruct and leave Britain with the dysfunctional system. It now has. The Japanese managed it with their privatised railway network (privatised before the UK’s). If the Railway Bureau of the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in Tokyo could do it, why couldn’t the DfT in Whitehall?

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The thing nobody can understand about this vegan bak kwa malarkey (other than the basic premise, obviously) is the no soy bit. Not only is soy plant based, soy sauce is a key ingredient. No doubt a clever chemical cocktail is used to replicate bak kwa.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A yearly “well human” MOT after a certain age (50 or 60 - depending upon family history) is an essential part of staying healthy as you get older. By having a “Well human” check up your GP can catch small problems before they become large problems and, as is frequently the case, the small problems can either be made to go away or prevented from becoming big problems by appropriate intervention.

Getting a "sick human" appointment with our GPs is difficult enough; I think that a "well human" one would be a near impossibility.

Dave

• Agree 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The thing nobody can understand about this vegan bak kwa malarkey (other than the basic premise, obviously) is the no soy bit. Not only is soy plant based, soy sauce is a key ingredient. No doubt a clever chemical cocktail is used to replicate bak kwa.

I used to love bakkwa when we lived in Singapore but hadn't seen it for donkey's years until we visited a few years ago and I made its acquaintance again. Fortunately it was the real deal rather than the abomination shown above. What on earth is the point of ersatz soy sauce?

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

We've got three of those clocks

They are very good if you can get a reliable batteries, i got some Oneloop off Ebay last year and i think they are fakes as they dont last. They look absolutely 100% though?

Dont suppose anyone knows where the Aircraft Pictures and Vidoes thread is do they?  I have a new report on the P63 and B-17 aerial collision i want to put up.

• Like 11

I've just been touring all the "real" clocks in the house so they think its BST already.  I also popped out to Yeti and ticked the DST box so it'll be ready for tomorrow.  All the radio-controlled clocks will position themselves appropriately in the small hours.

The only thing left is the clock on the oven, which is so weird that it'll have to wait until I find its instruction book...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Dont suppose anyone knows where the Aircraft Pictures and Vidoes thread is do they?  I have a new report on the P63 and B-17 aerial collision i want to put up.

Go into forums and select *'Wheeltappers' and scroll down until you find it. *I assume Wheeltappers is where it will be found.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I remember that. At one time we lived next door to a junior school. The cabbage miasma never quite got as far as our house. I was always fascinated by the Colorado Beetle poster outside the headmaster’s office. Aditi said she used to daydream about what she would buy with the reward if ever she found such a beetle. The posters must have been in every school, just like the cabbage smell. 

I remember the posters but I never heard of any Colorado beetle infestation.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Shopping has been done and put away and dinner has been eaten (toad in the hole). The usual Saturday night desert on TV so I might find a book to read or watch a few video's on Youtube.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Go into forums and select *'Wheeltappers' and scroll down until you find it. *I assume Wheeltappers is where it will be found.

It is in Wheeltappers. @Captain Cuttle can find it here.

I went looking for it and at one point I thought it wasn't visible on the first three pages.  @jjb1970 made posts with lots of Singapore pictures quite recently - so it should have been. 

Maybe I missed it, but performance has been bad-to-ifffy lately and maybe it was not visible.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Found it.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7