The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Not often appreciated is that the number of chevrons indicate the severity of the curve, and that curve does not look overly sharp.  The more chevrons, the tighter the curve.

Surely it's bends that warrant chevrons, not mere curves. Or have things changed since use of the steering wheel was abolished?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Not often appreciated is that the number of chevrons indicate the severity of the curve, and that curve does not look overly sharp.  The more chevrons, the tighter the curve.

Not always the case as the following two links show.

This is on a roundabout near home which was installed to serve the new houses on the right. I lost count of the number of times the single chevron sign was demolished by cars going straight over the kerb, across the grass and rejoining the carriageway on the other side. This is in a 70mph zone.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9007669,-1.5563601,3a,75y,266.57h,85.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Y0hBFpeGpvc1JNkb2foBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

Compare that with the second view showing another (larger) roundabout in an area that I regularly drive through - here the dual carriageway limit has been reduced to 40mph from 70mph (sign just behind the camera) and there are nine chevron signs - but even then I have seen evidence of drivers crashing into them !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8966026,-1.198558,3a,75y,58.55h,80.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP45ZQr_to0TEY_BO8aLdBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

TODAY’S “CHEER UP THE BEAR” SCIENCE

More intriguing information about how UPF rots the body and the mind.

https://flavorchemists.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2007-07-Why-Humans-Like-Junk-Food-IFT-2007.pdf

https://foodforthebrain.org/warning-your-brain-is-being-hijacked-by-junk-food-tech-stimulants/

https://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28/fatty.foods.brain/index.html

It’s interesting to note that the UK and the US - both awash with junk food and UPF ready meals/ingredients - are now experiencing unprecedented levels of mental illness (especially amongst younger people).

OK, I freely admit that baked beans, pizza and fries are not quite my cup of tea, but if I were to have a pizza I’d either make it myself (from fresh ingredients) or have one at a decent pizzeria known for the quality of its ingredients. Same goes for baked beans and fries (homemade - the only way!).

Why do people insist on buying and eating junk? It’s not always a time saver (spaghetti carbonara from scratch about 15 minutes, from a packet [UPF] about 15 minutes), it doesn’t work out - in the long run - to be less expensive (homemade chips are a damn site less expensive than frozen ready made). Perhaps it’s fear of cooking or a perception that it’s either difficult or time consuming (or both). 

Or could it be a combination of ignorance and laziness?

Or perhaps it’s because, with the disappearance of the local butcher, baker and greengrocer, UNprocessed food is getting harder to find.

Interestingly, although the UK is awash with junk food and UPF, it has superb raw materials - such as fish, seafood, meat - that too often is exported rather than consumed locally.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Another good idea is when the sharp bend chevron signs are somewhat wonky and damaged. 

11 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Or in the case of our local corner bent posts where the chevrons were and the broken concrete posts and missing fence parts

I don't know how others feel but for me, one very effective method of making me perk up and pay more attention to my driving was a few bunches of flowers by the roadside. Particularly when combined with obvious accident damage. Cynically, I wondered if the authorities could buy some bunches of plastic flowers and put them at suitable locations as an accident prevention scheme - could be rather cost effective too, probably much cheaper than speed display read-outs or LED message boards on poles...? 

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Not always the case as the following two links show.

This is on a roundabout near home which was installed to serve the new houses on the right. I lost count of the number of times the single chevron sign was demolished by cars going straight over the kerb, across the grass and rejoining the carriageway on the other side. This is in a 70mph zone.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9007669,-1.5563601,3a,75y,266.57h,85.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Y0hBFpeGpvc1JNkb2foBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

Compare that with the second view showing another (larger) roundabout in an area that I regularly drive through - here the dual carriageway limit has been reduced to 40mph from 70mph (sign just behind the camera) and there are nine chevron signs - but even then I have seen evidence of drivers crashing into them !

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8966026,-1.198558,3a,75y,58.55h,80.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP45ZQr_to0TEY_BO8aLdBA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

The first is a small roundabout with by definition lots of =4 chevrons.

The second is a much larger roundabout and the signs are 2 chevrons - albeit that there 9 x 2 chevron signs.    But 9 x 2 chevrons is not the same as 18 chevrons.

The rule still stands but it has to be understood that it applies to a single sign not to the totality of the signs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

£270K fine?  Methinks the Wife Widow is rather justified in being p1ssed off.  Hopefully the Judge that awards compo will be a lot more sensible and give the Companies concerned a right kicking.

A rather modest fine indeed but reading the full article will disclose the facts that the maximum penalty (of $1.5m) could not be imposed because this case was heard in a “lower court” (Melbourne Magistrates) rather than a “high” criminal court.  His Worship also commented in judgement that “there is no penalty this court could impose which matches the severity of the incident and extent of loss.”

To have only issued instructions by handbill left in the cab in the hopes the driver would read them is not safe practice. Daily notices must (in the UK) be displayed on a designated notice board at the sign-on location and staff are required to sign to say they have read and understood them. 

The temporary diversion of trains via the Wallan loop required a deceleration from line speed of 100kmh to 15kmh without trackside signage or advance warning.  ARTC signalling does not retard the train in the way British signalling does. 

Staff past and present who I know as friends have been widely critical of ARTC on many fronts. Track condition is one of those. 

Despite the loss of the train crew the integrity of the train construction withstood most of the forces involved and saved many lives. The power cars are the adapted British HST design; the trailers are all-local built by Comeng but are structurally similar to the British Mk3 coaches. 

I shall probably hear more as the judgement and implications roll out across the industry 

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Surely it's bends that warrant chevrons, not mere curves. Or have things changed since use of the steering wheel was abolished?

So if I have understood your semantic point, while I swerve on the curve, you are quietly going round the bend.  😄

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The corner in this photo could do with bigger chevrons. For some reason motorists leave the road and demolish the railing and bump up against the fence round  the cemetery. 
IMG_0196.jpeg.c5477a05d11c12c247bc28458f1f9545.jpeg

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Er No.

They do however look to me to be badly sighted and would be better placed on the railings.

That bend is actually sharper than it appears and I should know as I drive through there at least once a week. The Google Earth camera  has distorted the view so much that I didn't recognise the place at first.

There is a similar bend close to where I live that is even sharper but is distorted in the same way by Google Earth.

https://earth.google.com/web/@51.55973226,0.45565638,47.76062393a,0d,60y,252h,82t,0r/data=IhoKFmY0RjR4SFBSNmE1LXZrd0hMcGlDbUEQAg

Before I retired I passed through that bend every morning on the way to work. One morning there was a van that had missed the bend and was imbedded in the the bushes. What amused me was the sign on the back of the van saying 'Well driven?' with an 0800 number.

EDIT. I notice in the Google Earth pic that the massive chevrons that normally mark the bend have been replaced by temporary barriers, it must have claimed another victim.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning, from a very wet and miserable rock, where 8c would appear to be about all we're going to get.

Mrs H's first Wetkneesday off, she has gone part time-ish (working longer days for the other 4 so only dropping 5 hours) and taking Weds off.  She had a whole plan for the day, all needing.....dryness externally. Oh dear.

I had better pretend to be doing something, see you later.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That bend is actually sharper than it appears

Coming the other way, down the hill. The chevron signs are individually mounted on poles. They used to be attached to the railings. The workmen in the photo were replacing gas mains not straightening out the  railings on that occasion. 
IMG_0197.jpeg.6f209c56679735754ba94b4c90a19ffd.jpeg

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The corner in this photo could do with bigger chevrons. For some reason motorists leave the road and demolish the railing and bump up against the fence round  the cemetery. 
IMG_0196.jpeg.c5477a05d11c12c247bc28458f1f9545.jpeg

Taking a shortcut.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. No callouts from bladder control last night though I was woken up by Arthur Itis this morning at half past seven so I decided to get up. I then couldn't get my E-mails to load, I just kept getting a 'timed out' message until I remembered if I go back through the history and click on a previous session it opens up so this is what I did and it opened up straight away.

• Friendly/supportive 14

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Up close it's less obvious - from a distance the resemblance is striking - on the national kit no less, particularly in a country where related symbols are prohibited.

These were custom orders. I don't imagine anyone on the national team would actually wear number 44 - that would be a pretty deep bench.

There does seem to be a lot of thoughtlessness like this occurring at the moment. What with the ferago over the English kit union jack alteration.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

There does seem to be a lot of thoughtlessness like this occurring at the moment. What with the ferago over the English kit union jack alteration.

It wasn’t the Union Jack that had been altered, it was the cross of St George. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I was up early this morning for a 9:15 appointment at the dentist. All went well, with no need for any remedial work. So, it was back home for breakfast and I’m now sat in the dining room with a second muggertea. The wet weather has put paid to any work outside, so more planning is being done with regard to the layout framework support. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

assorted piles are becoming more organised

Given the apparent predisposition of ERs to medical issues I might be forgiven for having initially misread that!  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Coming the other way, down the hill. The chevron signs are individually mounted on poles. They used to be attached to the railings. The workmen in the photo were replacing gas mains not straightening out the  railings on that occasion. 
IMG_0197.jpeg.6f209c56679735754ba94b4c90a19ffd.jpeg

The exception to the rule Tony.  Single chevrons are used where the space at the side of the road does not permit the placement of a sign with the correct number of chevrons for the bend and still allow a good sightline for the approaching motorist.   In this case you do indeed add up the chevrons.   We have a hairpin bend nearby with 5 single chevrons.  If well placed on the initial approach, the individual chevrons might well look like a continuous set of chevrons rather than individual ones as you first approach.  Geometry does not always permit that though.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It’s interesting to note that the UK and the US - both awash with junk food and UPF ready meals/ingredients - are now experiencing unprecedented levels of mental illness (especially amongst younger people).

Is there evidence to show cause and effect here, or that this is anything other than pure coincidence?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

I am pleased to hear that all went extremely well with Air Commodore Dave Hunt’s surgery.

However, I would like to know a little bit more about the procedure: did he have a laminectomy? or a discectomy? Or???

The reason I ask is that there are people who collect anatomical specimens (as weird as it may seem*) and I reckon, if there are any pieces of Dave Hunt left over, one could make a fair penny from selling off authentic bits of a RAF pilot. 

And if the left over bits of Dave Hunt were embedded in clear resin in an attractive mahogany case on a polished plinth AND signed by Dave himself then I reckon it could go at auction for serious money.

Just asking for a friend.

*Well, not too terribly weird, I have a human skull on my desk whilst my GP friend has both a human skull AND a bear skull on his.

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, pH said:

Is there evidence to show cause and effect here, or that this is anything other than pure coincidence?

Review papers available from the US NIH Website (such as https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35807749/) indicate that it IS more than coincidence - not matter what Nestlé, Unilever and the like may wish you to believe.

I think that as the evidence about how unhealthy UPF is mounts, you’ll see the same sort of rearguard action from food conglomerates as you saw from tobacco companies when confronted by solid evidence linking smoking with lung cancer (amongst other things)

“De Nile ain’t just a river in Egypt” as they say…

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, pH said:

The law of large numbers may have something to do with it too. 
Tony

• Like 5