The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The fact that the original post mentioned that it has  3 of them caused my original confusion.

Reminds me of the episode of Black Adder where in one room he is ‘entertaining ‘ his drinking pals while simultaneously entertaining his Presbyterian extended family in another reception room. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

21 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The dining chairs just visible in dining room photo have an amusing tale associated with them. Aditi chose them not long after we got married. Her mother didn’t like them and said they wouldn’t last a year but at least that was longer than she predicted for the marriage. Fortunately MiL had no recollection of saying such things and seems to,think,she has always liked me!

Harsh!

Usually such utterances from future MILs do not bode well, so it's probably quite satisfying to have proven her wrong.

p.s. trivial fact: Les Dawson, maestro of the MIL gag, apparently had a fantastic relationship with his MIL

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Ive tried that but I toss and turn so much in bed my position is never consistent. 
I once had a test for sleep apnea but results were inconclusive as I’d tossed and turned so much I’d disconnected from the monitoring instrument.,

Can you guess from all the posts rubbish coming from me that I’m stuck at Mils?

Can The Toy Dolls cheer you up?

OR John Otway with the classic House Of The Rising Sun...?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Ive tried that but I toss and turn so much in bed my position is never consistent. 
I once had a test for sleep apnea but results were inconclusive as I’d tossed and turned so much I’d disconnected from the monitoring instrument.,

Can you guess from all the posts rubbish coming from me that I’m stuck at Mils?

I had a bout with sleep apnea, not nice at all and I had the gear on which confirmed I had it but what then?

The solution for me was simple, lose some weight and get running again and I'm not aware I've had an occurrence in years.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Time for me to start tea, as it will be cooking for over 2 hours.

Braising steak topped with some lean bacon under a covering of red, green & orange peppers, tomatoes and spring onion with a vegetable stock.  Will be accompanied by some fried mash when done.

All fresh produce.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Traditionally you had a front / best room in which you would invite visitors. Kept immaculately neat and tidy. This was the one the vicar would be invited to for tea.

The living room would be that the family would be in downstairs when not in the kitchen.

If the house did not have a best room, then the family traditionally lived in the kitchen. This would be difficult in this house as it's a later addition and only 12ft square inside. Though there is a second conservatory with the white goods in. ( Except fridge freezer).

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Traditionally you had a front / best room in which you would invite visitors. Kept immaculately neat and tidy. This was the one the vicar would be invited to for tea

When I go my friends (Nick , Neil knows him) we ‘take tea in the parlour!’

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Time for me to start tea, as it will be cooking for over 2 hours.

Braising steak topped with some lean bacon under a covering of red, green & orange peppers, tomatoes and spring onion with a vegetable stock.  Will be accompanied by some fried mash when done.

All fresh produce.

What time should I come round? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Right, I'd best get a wiggle on and get the dinner cooked.

The defrosted unlabelled meal now looks as if it contains beef, carrots and celery amongst other things so should be ok with some tagliatelle. 

• Like 19

Pup cam mentioned a meal with a side of Leak ash earlier. I would love to go on one of the fancy cooking shows and deliberately burn every element of the dish and present it as the Ultimate Ash just to show where this burning nonsense could end up. I wouldn't mind eating some fancy food they present but draw the line at deliberately burnt elements no matter how fancy and clever they try to present it. Must admit it may reduce the calorie intake though.

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Actually it has been educational because I never knew that a portion of Heinz beans counts as one of my “five a day”.  

Bear twigged that little snippet a while back - bit of a result if you ask me

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

To continue on matters of accommodation.

Mrs iD has been pressuring me to agree to sell Schloss iD and move to a flat - and for the longest time I have resisted. But you know how it is with a SWMBO: sooner or later they do get their way...

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have capitulated, but NOT unconditionally: one of the key things was that the only type of flat that would be considered would be a dachwohnung, attikawohnung or - if a suitable ground plan can be found - a dach-maisonnettewohnung.

But whilst there's plenty of flats out there, I have noted the following

• They don't specifically refer to living room, bedrooms etc. They are classified by "Zimmer" - so a 2.5 zimmer wohnung is likely to be just 1 bedroom and a living room/dining room (kitchen and bathrooms are not included in the room count)
  • Most are terribly tiny (<100m2) - unless you go further out into the wilderness or pay serious money (see below).
  • Open plan seems to be the norm rather than exception (I loathe open plan)
  • In the Gemeinde that Mrs iD favours flats go for serious money - such as this one here: https://www.homegate.ch/kaufen/4000687429 a state of the art new building.

Mrs iD and I are at an impasse as we have not resolved the thorny question of what is preferred "location. location, location" first, flat size and amenities second or the other way around.

I fear that I'll be wandering around the ancestral pile for a bit....

You seem to have missed a couple of items from the beginning of the list.  A shed is mentioned but not that it has to be insulated and heated plus big enough for your planned layout etc.  Secondly it must be close to efficient public transport, preferably a railway station.  Every property should fit those two before discussing minor details such as rooms. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening, a good day has been had and trains have been watched.  I was even home in time to cook tea.  Fresh lamb steaks, plus mashed potato, carrots and broccoli. Mint sauce and mint jelly.  All fresh ingredients, 7

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Secondly it must be close to efficient public transport, preferably a railway station.

Where we live may be really dull and not at all trendy but at the end of our road there are bus routes to both local large hospitals, the railway station and various community clinics on Canvey. One bus route stops right outside our GP surgery too.  Not that I am obsessed about healthcare access…

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1