Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Re @PhilJ W's informative post: the first three I fully get, the fourth I kinda get, But the last???

Which sort of female (and these services are aimed at females) has feet so hairy that they need depilation?

On second thought, don't answer that. ER may not yet be ready for the answer.....

This might be an answer.

image.png.e96063c1bbe059b4ea2f06fa4cf586de.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

.......being caught and banged up (or executed.

There - corrected it for you.....

IF a draconian approach were to work then everyone involved - from traffickers to consumers - should be penalised. Random stops by armed police of citizens for drug testing and summary execution of anyone testing positive (plus “shoot to kill” drug raids) would definitely discourage drug trafficking and use. But even then, there’d still be people who’d try their luck. I don’t think the most rabid supporter of draconian drug laws would care to walk to the shops past piles of fresh bodies all labelled “I was an illegal drug user”.  

Oh, I dunno.....

The thought of seeing some scrote and thinking "He could be the 'sterd that mugged old Mrs. Jones last week for her pension has a certain appeal....

Perhaps televised "drops" (cheap & environmentally friendly) on the 6pm news (replayed at School Assembly) might just help too.

The way to effectively address the drug problem is to firstly remove the profitability from the drug trade (by making illegal drugs so cheap through legalisation and sale through government shops) that the criminal elements would abandon the trade, addicts would no longer have to turn to crime to feed their habit and then go on to address why people take drugs. 

But if they are so cheap then what about the effects on Society & the NHS?  They're illegal for a very good reason - they do you a heap of no good whatsoever.

We could end up with a load of "Dylan the Rabbits" slumped on every street corner

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Which sort of female (and these services are aimed at females) has feet so hairy that they need depilation?

On second thought, don't answer that. ER may not yet be ready for the answer.....

You've not met Polina have you iD?

32 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Would it be unkind of me to observe that with some airliners today it's like building an Airfix Kit - but in reverse?

Bear is just ponderin' what make of airyplonk BA uses on it's Malta run.....

• Funny 14

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

We could end up with a load of "Dylan the Rabbits" slumped on every street corner

Check out "Kensington Avenue, Philadelpia" on youtube!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... It was probably wishful thinking, but I thought I heard a skylark from the field at the top of the road ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/04/07/enquiry-restarts-this-week-in-northern-ireland-st-pirans-hermit-crab-skylarks/

Which reminds me I must go to the one area in this part of the Boring Borough where I have seen and heard skylarks. It was on a farm which had been used for gravel extraction in the 70’s but which had been left as scrubland since. However last year the farmer fenced off his land apart from the footpath through the middle and now has cattle on one side and sheep on the other. I fear the skylarks may not stay long there this year.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

More very early morning silliness - up at 04:15 (even before the 04:30 alarm) for yet another piddle in the pool.

I did note that several of the fast 'uns in the fast lane were using Flippers - isn't that cheating?  (It also used to be banned when Bear was a Cub).

The usual characters were having their Mothers' Meetings whilst they swum - generally being a right PITA by making it difficult to get past 😡  There's a Cafe in the Foyer for that.....

And then once past them I'd expected to be ok (at least for a few laps), only to discover they'd cheated by cutting out the hairpin curve by heading back again at the 85% point rather than swimming a full lap 🤬  FFS.

I managed the usual 30 furlongs, but when I noticed the Vets were getting the screens out so figured it was a good time to foxtrot pdq.

I also had a quick wander to the Docs & Chemist; I was planning to head into the Co-op as well but the shutters were still down - with a sign on them saying "Open at 12pm due to Robbery".  What, another one??

BG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a good night last night as bladder control pressed the button four times. My own fault for ignoring the no drinks after nine rule and not emptying bladder before going to bed. Still haven't caught up with BST yet but hope to by the end of the week.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand what most of the procedures are but what's a Hollywood?

image.png.e9cbcb37c9544ebc6ed0db5187bb1214.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

36 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I understand what most of the procedures are but what's a Hollywood?

The entire region (genitalia, perineum etc) is fully depilated.

Most undergoing a Hollywood are female, but men undergoing the same sort of depilation are not unknown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is just ponderin' what make of airyplonk BA uses on it's Malta run.....

Airbus A321 today…

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. We’ve had some overnight rain, there’s no rain at the moment, but it looks like it could restart at any moment, pah. So, the plan for today is a visit to the local garden centre for a few small seed trays. Then the rest of the day may be spent in the workshop. 

@polybear, I’ll post photos of the point in question, once it’s finished and I’ve tested it. ‘IF’ it doesn’t work, I’m not going to show it to anyone!

Back later.

Brian

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, just.  11c and showers on the rock, and no wind to speak of, which is a little eerie after the last few days.

Had a lye-in this morning as I was zonked after several poor nights, after Mrs NHN went out at 0630 I was back off to zeddy land for a couple of hours, and TBH could have stayed there after 9 too, but that really would have been slovenly.

Some winda cleaning to do today, trip to the tip recycling centre with the grass cuttings, as the part for the lawnmower finally arrived so the lawn has had it's sycamore nursery lowered.  There were seemingly as many sycamore seedlings as grass blades in the lawns.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

59 minutes ago, polybear said:

But if they are so cheap then what about the effects on Society & the NHS?  They're illegal for a very good reason - they do you a heap of no good whatsoever.

It depends. There have been studies with heroin addicts that have shown that if a heroin addict gets unadulterated heroin at the right dose on an appropriate schedule of injections they actually function normally, unlike alcoholics. Another finding is that, providing a heroin addict doesn't kill himself/herself by overdosing, taking adulterated heroin or by catching a fatal disease (mostly, but not always, HIV) the heroin addiction eventually burns itself out. Providing addicts with clean needles, unadulterated heroin and a safe place to shoot will definitely save the NHS a lot of money - by not having to treat overdoses and needle acquired disease for starters.

54 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Check out "Kensington Avenue, Philadelpia" on youtube!

And that's what happens when drugs are freely available without an appropriate support structure,

Like it or not, the recreational drug Genie ain't gonna go back in its bottle - so the best approach is to be pragmatic and have policies to minimise harm.

Either that, or make summary execution mandatory for anyone caught with more than μg of any illicit substance (although that would certainly effectively address the lack of housing issue).

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

39 minutes ago, polybear said:

Perhaps televised "drops" (cheap & environmentally friendly) on the 6pm news (replayed at School Assembly) might just help too.

Hopefully in the interest of "equal justice for all" you'd also have some of your hit squads pay a visit to the boardroom of companies such as Purdue Pharma who misled the public about the addictive nature of Oxycontin, as well as to all the GP's and pharmacies who negligently prescribed it despite knowing the risks...

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The entire region (genitalia, perineum etc) is fully depilated.

Most undergoing a Hollywood are female, but men undergoing the same sort of depilation are not unknown.

Bear sometimes worries about just how iD knows about such things......

....on second thoughts, I think that may well be something that's best not to ponder about.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

....on second thoughts, I think that may well be something that's best not to ponder about.....

We medical types have to know an AWFUL lot about the body and what people can do them (in the above mentioned scenario, dermatological burns from hot wax, skin infections, etc., are not uncommon).

Let's put it this way: in matters corporeal not only do most people not have the full users manual, most haven't even read the short, 4 page, "quick start" guide....

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

On drugs I think there are two options, either the Singapore approach of zero tolerance, effective implementation of controls and very severe penalties, or decriminalization. The former is not especially nice and presents all sorts of questions which I feel uncomfortable about but is undeniably effective, the second would at least address the problems associated with criminalization, humungous profits and treating victims as criminals. At the moment much of the world has all the issues the latter might address but without the effectiveness of the former, a sort of worst of all worlds scenario.

Personally I prefer the latter. Partly it is because I am a bit of an old fashioned liberal (I would probably be described as a libertarian, but I prefer classical liberal tradition of tolerance and freedom with responsibility), partly it is because prohibition hasn't worked and partly because I tend to agree with Einstein on an aspect stupidity being the act of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Despite being a huge enthusiast (one might say fan boy) of many aspects of Singapore I do find aspects of their benign authoritarianism uncomfortable, particularly their enthusiasm for the death penalty and some of the more draconian laws. As a guest I consider myself bound to respect local laws and customs and I wouldn't tell local people what to do but I also have the freedom to hold an opinion.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Providing addicts with clean needles, unadulterated heroin and a safe place to shoot will definitely save the NHS a lot of money - by not having to treat overdoses and needle acquired disease for starters.

NSW has had a supervised injecting facility in Kings Cross in the inner city  for about 25 years now, addicts are provided with a pure  product and  clean needles and are medically supervised while they are under the influence.  Since opening , it has seen over 17,960 clients, reversed nearly 11,000 overdoses without a single  death, and provided over 20,420 referrals to treatment and services. 

I have no idea if its due to the influence of the room  but heroin here is definitely not even on the radar now as far as the "danger to society"  that it was back in the 80's, when most petty crime was to service a heroin addiction. 

Coke and Meth  seems to be the drug of choice these days, with analysis of waste water showing that Sydney's affluent* Eastern Suburbs leads the country in coke consumption, while most drug sniffer dog operation s and random roadside drug tests are mainly performed in the less salubrious western suburbs.

*Yes there is an obvious affluent/effluent pun in there, just saving anyone the effort to post it!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Not hard to find details of things .

https://nkdwaxing.com/articlewhats-the-difference-between-a-brazilian-and-hollywood-wax/

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here…..…..…

Who’s a wanderin’ ….ok, so I was wanderin’ - but the pit stop has resulted in Bear becoming involved in some extreme (but justifiable) naughtiness.  Oops. 
As for more details, well this Bear chooses to invoke the 5th Amendment…

ION…..

The master copy of the Beary Will (prepared at a cost of several Deltics….) was delivered to HM Probate Office in late February - but I’ve yet to receive a receipt 😡; around the same time I also requested my old Will back from them - but that hasn’t happened either 😡😡

As a consequence Bear foned them earlier and (after rather a long time on hold 😡) spoke to a very helpful lady who’s promised to message “The Registry” to ask that they investigate; apparently I may not hear back for several weeks though….

I’ve been using the service for many years and have never had a problem before - I wonder if it’s been “outsourced”?

BG 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

3 hours ago, polybear said:

if they are so cheap then what about the effects on Society & the NHS?  They're illegal for a very good reason - they do you a heap of no good whatsoever.

We already have that.

Perhaps the answer is to round them all up and put them on a island ....... Oops being told we can't do that as it would have an adverse impact on the island. This might take some thought.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

how much waste plastic & foil pill packaging must go into landfill every year.

Absolutely criminal however you can only buy a couple of packs  of sixteen of paracetomol or ibruprofen each so unless you can get them on prescription in a bottle i dont know. You can buy a bottle of one hundred 75mg aspirin tablets from the USA though, well you could a couple of years ago . Its like rim blocks in Tesco, they used be card backed with recyclable plastic but now they have ditched the cardboard, why?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1