Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Does Ted get a say in this?

Always happy to help. Sometimes has my solar powered Citizen watch on the other ear. 

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

People buy 'em to do their fish'n'chips in, then wonder what else they can be used for.  I've leafed through a couple of air fryer cookbooks, and most recipes are for the things that urban hipsters eat.  The TV programmes are the visual equivalent!

1 hour ago, Smiffy2 said:

Yup.

Good for chips, chicken breasts, sossidges, pies and pasties, roast veggies. Not for gourmet meals, but a good time-and-trouble saver, but a thing that rhymes with mugger to keep clean. And even the big ones are small.

I use mine in conjunction with other worktop appliances such as the slow cooker and micro and at times I use all three together, meat in the slow cooker, root veg roasted in the air fryer and other veg in the micro.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

My advice is to ditch chicken breast and go for thighs, much better flavour. Chicken karaage, deep fried chicken thighs, is tremendous.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I have a microwave - haven't used it for about three years.

Air fryer? What for?

Is there anything that cooks better than in a conventional oven/hob? 'Cos that's what I use.

Air fryers are useful if you're cooking for yourself and if what you're cooking is small enough to fit in the basket/slidey drawer thing/whatever and you'd otherwise use an oven.  They're like a conventional fan oven but use less energy (ie cheaper to run) as there's less volume to heat up/keep to temperature.  However, I don't think they reduce cooking times.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

52 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Air fryer? What for?

Is there anything that cooks better than in a conventional oven/hob? 'Cos that's what I use.

Frozen chips, sausages, pies & pasties, small portions of roast meat, the things I quoted earlier. The point is that it's smaller, simpler and cheaper to run than a big oven.

Some charities give them to families in financial distress as a way of cutting energy bills.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We bought a double Ninja air fryer about two years. It is another weapon in kitchen. So it is an ‘as well as’ piece of kit, not an ‘instead of’ one. 

Totally agree about the difficulty in cleaning the non stick. At times it can be quite hard to remove deposits of very thin grease, without damage the coating. 

We do diced, roasted, mixed veggies, like peppers, onions, potatoes, charlottes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash etc, with horbs and loads of garlic. All fresh and chopped up. The smell is incredible. We often have that with roasted chicken wrapped in bacon. All done in the air fryer. It is perfect for a meal for two to three people. Any bigger, then we would use the fan ovens. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, didn't get down until gone nine. Doesn't matter much as I have nothing planned for today except a bit of the G word, hay fever allowing.  Other than that there are some TV programs to catch up on on I-player.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

.......but a thing that rhymes with mugger to keep clean.

Easy fix for that problem :  Silicon Liners - available from the River in numerous sizes.

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Air fryer? What for?

A bit quicker - and a lot cheaper to run.

Hopeless for full sized Pizza though

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Morning All

Woken up by a severe headache at 05:00…..swearyswearyswearyswearywords. Thought that someone had left the curtains open but turned out to be the headache. Managed to stagger downstairs to make the morning Mokkas and let out the chooks, who were gradually protesting louder by the minute at not being let out. 

But headache aside, I’ve got to get with the program today though, as tasks on on the mental white board include cutting a lawn (hopefully without the assistance of the chooks), general tidy up, purchasing some Harvey’s ale, preparing for guests this evening etc etc. 

Best bit is that the couple that are coming over this evening, we have known for around 30 years. Very much looking forward to seeing them both as they are great fun to be with. They are part Swedish so we are likely to be drinking like Vikings tonight…..again…..happy days! 

Good job that I’ve nothing planned for tomorrow really. Oooooooo apart from mowing one of the paddocks with ‘Generally’ the tractor mower. Not much fun mowing on the slope of the Downs, hungover…….as it takes a reasonable level on concentration not the role the bleedin thing over on the turns. 

……so a big old cooked breakiefast will be required. 

Now let’s see…bacon, soss, black pud….yep good start…..fresh grilled tomatoes with salt and horbs, large grilled mushrooms, small mushrooms braised in Worcestershire sauce….then either Hash Browns or Bubble (probs can’t have both as Mrs Grizz will be ‘helpfully’ questioning why we need both), eggs (fried, scrambled and or poached), fried bread (soaking up the bacon fat from the bacon pan), toast and bread. With orange juice (with and without bits in it). Washed down with a large pot of splosh.

Please note that we are not having baked beans with our breakiefast, we don’t normally anyway but on this occasion we couldn’t even if we wanted to, as there is currently a shortage of Heinz BB in the Deep South of East Sussex, due to the fact that they have been redirected (possibly air dropped) to other parts of the UK that are in desperate need of them…..apparently. 

Followed by fresh toast and marmalade or honey…more cups of splosh…..then I’ll probably need a bit of a post breakiefast kip! 

And hopefully I’ll then have enough energy to go and do the tractor mowing. 

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

Friendly/supportive awarded for no Beans....

...other brands are available.....

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Hopefully someone got the bar steward with a 9mm cure. 

They did.....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently an armed woman police inspector was in the shopping centre at the time confronted him. He tried to attack her and she shot him dead.

...and no big bill for the taxpayer for the next 30 years.

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Easy fix for that problem :  Silicon Liners - available from the River in numerous sizes.

@polybear thank you soooooo much bud. Mrs Grizz sends you a very massive thanks too. We had no idea that these things existed. 

Friendly/supportive awarded for no Beans....

...other brands are available.....

You are very welcome cuz. 😊

They did.....

...and no big bill for the taxpayer for the next 30 years.

And as you say no lining pockets etc …….and 100% cured, with no possible reoffending. 

Edited by Grizz
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

BH......

G-Word done for the day.  Tick

Very lucky to get out of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjje0l85p3no

Excellent - let's hope the Police save him the trouble though, he's spent more than enough of his life fighting this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68805556

And finally.....

VSBT's to all the Gee Gee's at a certain event later today that often ends in carnage 🤬

edit: Just heard that two GG's died yesterday 🤬🤬  'Sterds.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Grizz said:

@polybear thank you soooooo much bud. Mrs Grizz sends you a very massive thanks too. We had no idea that these things existed. 

Now if Bear remembers correctly..... Mrs Grizz is a dab hand at baking Cake......

Just mentioning it for a friend.......🤣

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from a very warm Charente.  Very busy day yesterday and this morning.  Lots of small jobs do e and so e good friends round yesterday evening snacks and Belote.  Our usual chat to the girls this morning g then a quick trip to the Danglies.  I needed some more drip feed nozzles for the veg watering and Emily has requested some home made raspberry jam.  I was able to source Framboise at our equivalent of Iceland which is called Picard.  

As to watches I won a set of four Rotary ones on Sale of the Century in 1976. I've worn a gents one ever sine, the boys and girls ones wet to my parents and I saved the ladies one for any potential bride.  Beth was given it 2 years later. 

We've got about 4000 sq metres of green to cut.  A tractor for the big bit and a self propelled push alo g for the weed patches near the house. About 2.5 hours for the big one and just over an hour for the weed patches. We usually only need to cut them for about 5 months of the year. The rest of the time it's either two hot or too cold.  

Guess what needs doing this afternoon. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

This is probably the best rundown of what is known so far, from the Sydney Morning Herald.

Bondi Junction mass murder: What we know so far

What happened in Bondi Junction? A man murdered six people by stabbing them with a knife inside Bondi Junction Westfield on Saturday afternoon. The attacker was shot dead by police.

How did it start? Police say CCTV footage shows the attacker walked into Bondi Junction Westfield about 3.20pm and “engaged with” nine people as he moved through, “causing harm”.

Who has been harmed? Six people are confirmed dead, plus the attacker. NSW Ambulance said they took eight patients to various hospitals. A nine-month-old baby was among the injured.

Who was the attacker? NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said he was a 40-year-old who was known to police but not believed to have held terrorist beliefs. He has not been formally identified. Police are confident he acted alone.

What happens next? Police have promised a “lengthy and precise” investigation. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has discussed the incident with AFP commissioner Reece Kershaw and the director-general of ASIO, Mike Burgess.

Webb commended both the female police officer who shot the 40-year-old, along with shop keepers who assisted keeping people safe.

“The police officer that attended is enormously courageous, as were other police officers that have attended that area,” Webb said.

The female officer is a “very senior” inspector of police who was conducting routine checks on hospitality venues nearby. She was alone and responded quickly, firing three shots which killed the attacker.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2