The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Without being too political, the "problem" will be the (promised) Hammurabic* Israeli governmental reaction. - I make this comment as distinct from the people of Israel.

* Lex talionis: From the Code of Hammurabi (of Babylon) and echoed in both Exodus 21:23–27 and Leviticus 24:19-21.

Israel is divided and struggled to elect and form a government. Their head of state is alleged of wrong-doing and tried to dismantle constitutional checks and balances to essentially make the head of state above the law. War is the ultimate distraction to 'unify' a divided nation state.

Sound familiar anyone?

Without being too political, the problem (!) is that my country, Israel, has been attacked by more than 300 missiles and drones launched last night by and from another sovereign nation. 

I implore you to imagine what the UK government, for example, would do in such a situation*

* - of course you do not really have to imagine, because we all know what happened the last time the UK was attacked by hundreds of missiles and drones from another sovereign nation. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think Saturday brings the 'less than able drivers - other terms are available, out as I to encountered one this morning. He thought that it was ok to overtake me on an twisty hill roads with cars parked on it. This with children in as well.

Whilst on the Hilly Wander yesterday I did note that the tw@ts were out in force in their posemobiles - Bear's wanderin' destination features rather a lot of those (that's tw@ts and posemobiles** - of the very, very expensive variety in many cases); driving like nob'eads and playing tunes with their exhausts etc. etc.

**Is Bear jealous?  Nope - if I was in the market for one I still wouldn't buy it cos' that kinda money for a tin box is just nutz; I wouldn't want the stress of owning it & worrying it was gonna get damaged (I worry enough about the £10K Bearmobile as it is....)

Incidentally, I did note that one such posemobile (a Range Rover type jobbie) was in fact a Lambo; my immediate thought was "Just why on earth would you, when you can have a proper Lambo with the fancy doors??"   

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, polybear said:

so I got fed up with that and looked at Rome instead - a week has been reserved (free cancellation) just to secure the place

You may not come back from Rome, especially if the Colosseum is on the sight-seeing agenda.

A very popular entertainment was to pit wild animals - such as Bears - against gladiators or against criminals and Christians*

If you’re lucky you’ll get the scrotes to render asunder, if not then it’s bear steaks for tea…

* given how the early Christians behaved, the two terms were synonymous…

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A reasonably successful day yesterday, some wire strangling was achieved. I need to check it out on Monday afternoon.

Tit for tat never solves anything.. 

Ttfn

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  Offto the market this morning then playing Belote with friends this afternoon. 

Ttfn, 

Jamie, 

• Like 17

56 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whilst on the Hilly Wander yesterday I did note that the tw@ts were out in force in their posemobiles - Bear's wanderin' destination features rather a lot of those (that's tw@ts and posemobiles** - of the very, very expensive variety in many cases); driving like nob'eads and playing tunes with their exhausts etc. etc.

**Is Bear jealous?  Nope - if I was in the market for one I still wouldn't buy it cos' that kinda money for a tin box is just nutz; I wouldn't want the stress of owning it & worrying it was gonna get damaged (I worry enough about the £10K Bearmobile as it is....)

Incidentally, I did note that one such posemobile (a Range Rover type jobbie) was in fact a Lambo; my immediate thought was "Just why on earth would you, when you can have a proper Lambo with the fancy doors??"   

I didnt make the Beverly HIlls carshow, mainly due to misreading the year in the ad, it was  held in 2022... (somenone needs to give the internet a good old spring clean!)  No worries though, nearby Picton had one.  Maybe some of these tickle your fancy more?

438032155_1029217658596094_3674349408549456318_n.jpg.08d1627a25b44756b17e3029328b2b86.jpg

437803312_1029215991929594_4500636034689919075_n.jpg.03301b18e70262194cdbc7041e8ecf73.jpg

438036796_1029217631929430_2282459121014833686_n.jpg.45adc48abfd579eb1c0dafa735b362b1.jpg

435172919_1029216015262925_4657615019301413571_n.jpg.3941052cbe6786d2b9fc5627cab75858.jpg

436316721_408251381953357_1669611050113782514_n.jpg.59b8a93a96b73921f1d01b5d0762995d.jpg

436203152_122116454132254106_4264414280386615431_n.jpg.8fa136d526df973430f4cad874e873fa.jpg

437374946_1029217545262772_4842277875289346584_n.jpg.bc6319328a6fa81f3679b47bcaef671b.jpg

438029745_1029217555262771_2680849492105934937_n.jpg.cf8970227c8b2ba5d4a96badca762a9d.jpg

435729377_408251171953378_1058027449710958924_n.jpg.a42eff58bf3ad8b352e15e4efbfa303c.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

30 minutes ago, polybear said:

've decided that the time has come for uncovering Harry the Honda after many, many years in storage.

Why scary?  Well I'm just wonderin' how many scary monsters are living under that bike cover.....and how big they are....

Where's a Chimpy @monkeysarefun when you need one?

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The latest Bluey episode went  up on ABC  Iview today. A 28 minute extended version, something to watch once the AFL Eagles V Tigers game  finishes!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A sunny morning with a fresh breeze, it feels quite cold.  The usual Sunday e mails etc are in hand, then I will go to church, a bishop is taking the service today.

After that it depends on the weather, there may be showers later.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

**CENSORED BY BEAR - TOO SCARY**

Now if Chimpy thinks I'm gonna click on that little white triangle.....nottafuggin'chance, matey......

• Like 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4 hours solid sleep, 3 hours intermittent sleep.

Ben the I'd like out Collie was cause of some of the intermittency, when I finally gave in, we had a good patrol, scattered white clouds, generally sunny, light winds. Two heavy duty tractor went by at 07:00, they are now trundling up and down the field to the south and east of the garden, harrowing the soil.

Hmm my favourite tide site has gone walkabout, looking elsewhere low tide is just before 12:00, wind 15 to 20 mph , sunny scattered clouds..

Time to go sailing

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A sunny morning with a fresh breeze, it feels quite cold.  The usual Sunday e mails etc are in hand, then I will go to church, a bishop is taking the service today.

After that it depends on the weather, there may be showers later.

David

Watch out for his mitre.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Watch out for his mitre.

Odd that something associated with right angles is necessary for someone who can only move diagonally 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another sleep-in this morning, eight hours sleep last night and I didn't get up until gone nine. Haven't decided what to do next but muggatee #2 first. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Managed to get the grass cut before it rained.. good for grass cutting Pah! For chuckinitdarn..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Just had a good humoured and enjoyable argument about pho. A local friend is a purist and is adamant that the noodles must be cooked separately and added to the broth, otherwise it colours the broth which should be clear. My view is that while this is true, there's so much flavour in the broth that while cooking the noodles in it is not correct and does colour it I consider it an acceptable deviation. Although I will happily eat either way of doing it.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The latest Bluey episode went  up on ABC  Iview today. A 28 minute extended version, something to watch once the AFL Eagles V Tigers game  finishes!

....which turned out to be quite the tearjerker at the end but in a good way, just what this place needed after the last 24 hours.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Just had a good humoured and enjoyable argument about pho. A local friend is a purist and is adamant that the noodles must be cooked separately and added to the broth, otherwise it colours the broth which should be clear. My view is that while this is true, there's so much flavour in the broth that while cooking the noodles in it is not correct and does colour it I consider it an acceptable deviation. Although I will happily eat either way of doing it.

My alleged Singapore Style rice noodles definitely took on some colour last night when I added them to my stir fried pork and vegetables. Lunch today will be fusion food or as we call it reheated leftovers, so I will be accompanying the really spicy hot stir fry with some dal and nan. 
Tonight we will have fish pie, not the one with fish heads poking through the crust , the sort with assorted fish in a sauce under a potato topping. We had ordered the beer battered haddock but Waitrose substituted the fish pie. Normally we would have rejected it but we don’t feel up to spending much time in the kitchen. Aditi has made a rather splendid fish pie for her pesky-tarian (sic) relatives, so I know the correct thing will be to appreciate the Waitrose meal but mention it is not as good as Aditi’s. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

was in fact a Lambo; my immediate thought was "Just why on earth would you, when you can have a proper Lambo with the fancy doors??"   

As my neighbour, who has a sporty not SUV  Lamborghini, says “it’s just a Volkswagen now “. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

When VW bought Lamborghini I suspect it resulted in better cars and higher quality, but they also seemed to lose the over the top bonkersness and flair that made them so attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

When VW bought Lamborghini I suspect it resulted in better cars and higher quality, but they also seemed to lose the over the top bonkersness and flair that made them so attractive. 

I think it was the older ones that interested my neighbour. He had lots of motorbikes and some classic cars. He used vans for his business but said he had always wanted a Lamborghini and so eventually got one. It is one of the VW ones but it does seem reliable. More so than nearby neighbours who have had Ferraris that looked quite good when on the on the tow truck after failure to start. 
Tony

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4