The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

15 hours ago, polybear said:

**Bear was at The Great Empire for 39 years - and how many times did something similar happen there?  Not fuggin' once  - in fact your were expected to take the cakes in for the Department.....of 60 or 70+ people (some of which were total Tw@ts).

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

@polybear  never ever had a cake with candles on! Had to take pies ans peas in in Barrow on pay days and birthdays.

Me neither.   I think we can detect a theme here .....

ION

Had very few interviews during my career.  One to get my first position.     One 10 years later for a position with the then opposition.    I passed but declined the "kind" offer.    History shows another bullet dodged as I probably would have ended up where I ended up anyway but on different terms.      Looks like I failed my last informal interview.

It's a beautiful day!       I had an invitation to go on the first local VMCC "Summer Saunter".   I think they are heading out over Saffron Walden way.   No doubt it will be a nice run but I declined the offer as I'm out with another group (ex GE bikers) this evening and this morning Mrs Puppers and I are out to visit the Bluebells.

TTFN

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

In honour of the day being a good ‘un. Those of a nervous musical disposition may wish to avert their ears 

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

In honour of the day being a good ‘un. Those of a nervous musical disposition may wish to avert their ears 

A bit old-fashioned nowadays, even tuneful? 🤔

🤪

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Domestic engineering © Gwiwer, completed then our French tax return so that's a good mornings work. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I am a member of RINA and have my CEng registration through them but I really object to the institute racket. Every year it gets harder to persuade myself to renew, so far each year I have decided retaining CEng registration outweighs my hatred of being forced to be a member of an institute to keep it but I really was close to shoving it this year. 

I can fully understand belonging to trade guilds if you are intending to move jobs for

better prospects/interest/money etc.  But my case was just internal promotion of a job

I'd been doing for the last 25 years , it just meant going to chargehand level instead of just

spanner twiddler , so no amount  of letters after my name would have made a scrap of difference .

as it turned out eventually I was glad I failed as it did involve a lot paper  shuffling and that's something

I don't think I would have enjoyed .

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The expected parcel arrived this morning, well before the binmen came round so I put the bin out. The hay fever is back, not surprising as birch trees throw out clouds of pollen after heavy rain as we had last night.

• Friendly/supportive 17

38 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

And they still needed a push from a diesel .      😎

Now you know that's being towed in for repair...............................................actually it provides electrickery for the coaches heating/lighting and I believe for the restaurant car.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Now you know that's being towed in for repair...............................................actually it provides electrickery for the coaches heating/lighting and I believe for the restaurant car.

Just havin a larf guv .     😀

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Teams is an awful package.. Microsoft have now 5aken it out of Office. Big problem is its old and creaky. 

It's not that "old". Enterprise customers had (for the most part) not switched to it pre-pandemic. I know of one very large Enterprise that was using Skype (also a Microsoft product - though they acquired it) at that time. In that setting Skype was terrible. It wasn't until the pandemic hit that Enterprises switched to Teams.

There are many evident problems with the architecture of Teams. It has many redundant capabilities with Outlook (like the calendar) intended for 'stand alone' operation that create serious synchronization problems. It's biggest problem is that it is a memory pig - I'm guessing it's a "sedimentary" solution with features being layered on without any architectural overhauls for performance.

I reboot every morning. Unless I wait for Teams to (not just open but) complete all it's background loading it doesn't do the "one thing" it is supposed to do - join a meeting. It can take five minutes before it is actually "ready". Until then the application looks like it's up - but you try to join a meeting with a link and it just sits there. (If you have all the minutia at hand, like meeting number, password, etc you can connect manually, but many meeting hosts don't provide this - just a link.)

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Using it for interviews means it's hard to pick up on body language. I have used it for this purpose but I prefer face to face interviews.

Of course the quality of the interaction is far superior with an in-person interview. But when the interview team is not co-located and a successful candidate would be relocated to the work location (frequently requiring air travel and an overnight stay for the interview), using virtual video interviews is a no-brainer.

I imagine that it is 'easier' to conduct traditional in-person interviews in the UK where distances are less, though the stories I hear here about rail transport make me wonder how practical that is these days.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It's been a typical Thursday with a visit to church for the usual service, I did the intercessions for the first time.  I have realised that I need to print them off using a larger font so I can actually see the words clearly, fortunately this morning I had almost memorised them.

After coffee at church and a good natter I visited the beach where everything looked grey and there was a keen cold wind with rain starting so I didn't stay long.  There were a number of sandpipers running around dodging the waves.  I could see why they are called clockwork birds as they move so quickly and quite jerkily.

Today I was able to go into the greenhouse without getting my feet wet so I brushed most of the mud off the floor.  It has rained quite a bit this afternoon so a small amount of water has returned.  I am hoping that the forecast of dry weather for the next few days will be correct.

I did some more work on a model and since then have been looking at Living North, a local lifestyle magazine.  This month's issue has 160 pages for £3-45 which is good value.

In other words a calm quite relaxing day.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of woolley shops in Norfolk.. somehow I've been in many. Though swmbo often spins any passing sheep's or dog's.... 

"The works " has, on the odd  occasion, had wool.. as have B&M stores, and even poundland..

Buying almost anything from hobbycraft is expensive...

We've now got all of two bluebells in the garden.

Bits for spinny thing, and the USB charge hub have just arrived.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I looked at joining various trade bodies, one I selected, but then they increased the level of qualification needed. Then I realised , those in the society were pulling up the ladder behind themselves. The oldest members cannot have had the relevant even earlier electronics  qualifications because they didn't exist when the society started. Looking at the history, the qualifications required increased a couple of times. 

Bear has encountered numerous individuals at the G.E. over the years, some of which had very impressive qualifications along with being members of some Society thingy or other.  A number of those individuals were so useless they weren't worth a wet f@rt.

32 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Like many things it appears wool is becoming a difficult item to source.     All of the traditional local retailers, whether independents or chains, seem to have disappeared in a puff of smoke.   This is not good when Mrs Puppers has just been commissioned by Junior Junior Puppers to knit yet more toy snakes!     Still, we found some in the end but how much!

Bear delivers new wool to the Charity Shops - it's rather a popular item and sells well.

32 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Good old Monty who, incidently, clocked up 198,000 miles on the way home this morning.

Ricky the Rover reached 239,000 miles - so Monty has a way to go yet....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Like many things it appears wool is becoming a difficult item to source.     All of the traditional local retailers, whether independents or chains, seem to have disappeared in a puff of smoke.   This is not good when Mrs Puppers has just been commissioned by Junior Junior Puppers to knit yet more toy snakes!     Still, we found some in the end but how much!

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear delivers new wool to the Charity Shops - it's rather a popular item and sells well.

I was about to say some of our local charity shops stock knitting wool and as @polybear said above its very popular. A majority of charity shop customers are elderly and female so its understandable.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

A couple of things spotted in the Warehouse today:

First, a rather large book - the smaller book measures something like 8 x 7 inches or so:

IMG_03341.JPG.93181faf724d6fad38c5ca1e283cd1d8.JPG

Plus a "little something for the weekend, Sir...."  - whatever floats yer boat....

IMG_03331.JPG.a4b142d2f26e30dd631d95e3ef571ad2.JPG

As a one time MRC librarian I dreaded those large 'coffee table' books. Largely because the contents were carp cobbled together from various sources and nobody wanted them. The chains were very fashionable with punk rockers 25 years ago.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3