The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 4630 said:

I think I’d prefer not to get close enough to any snake to be able to tell if the eyes are round or oval. 

I think when I posted the advice elsewhere my comment was that if the eyes are round the snake is non-venomous.  If the eyes are oval or slit shaped, you are probably closer than you want to be.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. As I have mentioned I do the NY Times *Wordl game every morning. This morning I got the word at the second attempt.😁😁😁

But most of the records were destroyed on Cromwells orders.

*In Wordl you have six attempts to find a five letter word. You have to guess the first word and if a letter from the word of the day is in your guess it lights up green if it is in the right place and yellow if it is in the word but not in the right place, letters that are not in the word show as grey. It is easier than it sounds.

I used to do wordle until they decided to require a login to access stats so I have stopped. I started with “route” every day and eventually came in 1st guess. I then switched to “orate” but that didn’t come in. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I used to do wordle until they decided to require a login to access stats so I have stopped. I started with “route” every day and eventually came in 1st guess. I then switched to “orate” but that didn’t come in. 

Usually less than 0.01% of participants get it right first time. Today I got three consecutive letters correct first time and it was easy to work out the correct word.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was going to post this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68977469?

but @polybear beat me to it. This brought to mind a religious sect of the Cromwellian era called the castrators. They believed that having sex was evil. However they realised that it was essential to have children so each couple was allowed one child then out came the knife. Not surprisingly it didn't catch on and the sect died out.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Mount Disappointment

We have a Cape Disappointment here. For once, not named by the plucky Yorkshireman (though he did name Cape Foulweather in his particularly prosaic style).

It was named by one John Meares, disappointed not to have found the Columbia River. (He actually had, but thought it a bay.) He also named Cape Lookout on the Oregon coast.

We have a Cape Meares named for him.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

If you look at most old roads in the UK they are fairly obvious names. It's only in comparatively recent times people started " naming roads " and places with unrelated monikers.

Cart gap, a gap in the sand dunes for carts.

Ostend.. the East end, which is now part of Walcott, which means welshmans cottage

Bloodslat lane, red valley lane.

Stepping stone lane, low road, water lane, I'll let you work those out.

Ludgershall, place of the spear trap.. ok not obvious now but it was when it was named.

Benbecula (Beinn na Faoghla) mountain of the Ford.

Neatishead well that's ones a bit lost in time, Until recently it was thought it was from " place of the cattle herder" now it seems they think it's from "Sneats household".

Snakes I've seen a few on the broads swimming across rivers, when I lived in Wiltshire slow worms ( ok they're technically a legless lizard) were common.

• Like 18

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

If you look at most old roads in the UK they are fairly obvious names.

Most of the names in the colonies are of four varieties:

1. Place name from the old sod
  2. Anglicized indigenous name
  3. Prosaic
  4. A named person either of note in the old sod or pioneer/settler 

As for examples, for (1) two local cities are named Portland and Salem (the state capital). Which is more reflective of the transitive property of old sod names, the ones here being named for towns in "New" England - earlier reused there.

(2) Lots of these both locally and growing up in Australia. I've lived in examples.

(3) See post(s) above. Australia is littered with variations on the theme of <ordinal> Mile Creek. An good Oregon one is Black Butte. It's a volcanic cinder cone, and it is black. (Also an excellent porter.)

(4) On a clear day I can see Mount Hood. Same honoree as the HMS one. Two thirds of the Australian state capitals are named for peers and one is named for a Queen. Two Australian states were named for Vicky Reg. Six US states are named for English or British royals.

A couple of local towns were named after US Army officers killed in the Modoc War less than ten years after the Civil War. It was little different than genocide though the Modoc put up a good fight in lava fields where all the infantry, cavalry and field artillery of the US Army was ineffective.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This brought to mind a religious sect of the Cromwellian era called the castrators. They believed that having sex was evil. However they realised that it was essential to have children so each couple was allowed one child then out came the knife. Not surprisingly it didn't catch on and the sect died out.

Perhaps it's time for a resurrection - there are certain members of society that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce at all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

Today sees a driving session lesson with the Bertie the Bosch (Washing Machine) once again.  Oh joy.  I also have some rather important paperwork to print off - just so long as Percy the Printer decides to play nicely, that is.  Incidentally, I've just submitted a (fair) review of the new (in January) ink cartridge that played up a few days ago immediately after I fitted it**; the supplier has immediately picked up on it (probably cos' I only gave it 2* out of a possible 5*) and responded with:

"We're really sorry to hear your first review isn't positive, we take product quality incredibly seriously and one of my team will be looking into it to get you sorted."

I don't hold out much hope though, nor do I expect the review will appear on their website.  We'll see.

Apart from that I have all the joys of cleaning the Bathroom to look forward to 😱  Jeez, I only did it a year ago FFS - beats me why they need cleaning so often.....🤣

Bear gone.

**It took lots of Inkjet cleaning cycles before the new cartridge gave decent lack prints; each cycle wastes ink in the process.  Poo.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, so my walk to the butchers should be a very pleasant one. After that, the day takes a different course, as instead of going to the Trafford Centre, which I did yesterday, we’re off to Dunham Massey to take a walk round the gardens, then call for a drink and a slice. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I was up last night sorting out this laptop. I was in RMweb when a malware warning came up. I instructed my computer protection to block it and it promptly blocked RMweb! I therefore spent the next half hour trying to unblock it. I couldn't unblock it so I went to catch up on some other things and decided to try again this morning. But before going to bed I gave RMweb another look and it was back to normal. I can only surmise that my computer protection found the malware and blocked it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15