The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

One other thing: Roman slavery was colour blind - slaves coming from all over the empire (and from beyond the borders). Just like Roman citizens, Roman slaves could be of any race, creed or sex. Some nationalities were prized more than others for certain slave roles (e.g. Greek slaves as tutors and scribes).

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Many British ( including Ireland at that time) slaves were taken from around our coasts to North Africa..  up till the early 1800s

Spinny thingy err

Spins😀 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 19:57, Ozexpatriate said:

thanks to the former member of Parliament for Cambridge in 1689 and 1701 (or was it Leibniz?)

Leibniz has never been a constituency represented in the British Parliament (or English Parliament, as it was then)...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Something Dr SWMBO has always found comforting. She often listens to the shipping forecast on her way to sleep. 

I use it for watch-keeping purposes these days. 

“Distant (Signal) West: West-south-west 4; 13; 998 steady; rain in past hour; misty or fine later; slight; moderate to good occasionally very poor.”

I've not listened to the Shipping Forecast for ages, Nowadays I try to be well asleep by time "Sailing By" appears over the horizon...

Just checked our "actual" forecast...

Easterly or southeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first in west, decreasing 2 to 4 later. Smooth or slight, becoming slight or moderate for a time. Rain. Moderate or good, occasionally poor.

It applies to Fraggle Rock too.  🙃

(It helps to remember the sequence of the information phrases too:  Wind direction and strength, Sea state, Weather, Visibility)

Edited by Hroth
Extra
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Many British ( including Ireland at that time) slaves were taken from around our coasts to North Africa..  up till the early 1800s

Spinny thingy err

Spins😀 

Indeed.

Curious isn't it that nearly all the current "narratives" about slavery in the 1700s fail to mention that, or the role of the Arab slave traders or even mention those African kingdoms that became incredibly rich by "acquiring" slaves from the African interior and selling them on to European and American traders (the African interior was a death trap for all White Europeans at that time due to disease that the locals could tolerate [if not immune to] but were fatal to whites).

If the purpose of such historical revision is to "shine the spotlight of truth and illuminate the hidden corners of history" they are doing a p*** poor job of it.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Leibniz has never been a constituency represented in the British Parliament (or English Parliament, as it was then)...

Wasnt he a baker, or am i thinking of his brother?

image.jpg.7c594118ad2cff963ba12ad84ddfeece.jpg

• Funny 17

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Some nationalities were prized more than others for certain slave roles (e.g. Greek slaves as tutors and scribes).

With great consequence to Western religion.

CNN was running the following around Easter:

CNN: Opinion: How ‘God’s ghostwriters’ transform our understanding of the Bible

The author extrapolates on the documented contributions of a presumed enslaved scribe name Tertius who wrote Paul's letter to the Romans. One can imagine literate Greek slaves doing the actual writing part of most of the New Testament.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 15

6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

image.jpg.7c594118ad2cff963ba12ad84ddfeece.jpg

Its not very nice to get butter on your kecks...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

One can imagine literate Greek slaves doing the actual writing part of most of the New Testament.

Quietly shaking their heads over Paul's bad Greek?

• Funny 13

Posted (edited)

Curious isn't it that nearly all the current "narratives" about slavery in the 1700s fail to mention that, or the role of the Arab slave traders or even mention those African kingdoms that became incredibly rich by "acquiring" slaves from the African interior and selling them on to European and American traders ...

I don't know what narratives you are reading. The Island of Gorée is a UNESCO World Heritage Site - and visited by a sitting POTUS. The role of the slave ports in West Africa is not just well documented but well understood - certainly here. The white slave traders certainly had African accomplices. 

As to Mediterranean slavery and the Barbary Corsairs - their impact is well known to any US history student who paid attention. The hymn of the Marine Corps mentions the "Shores of Tripoli" in the first line. The Treaty of Tripoli (1796) is one of the first US treaties not involving the revolution and military actions of the US defending its interests as a sovereign nation.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Curious, I looked up the name:

The brand name Leibniz comes from the philosopher and mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646–1716). The only connection between the man and the biscuit is that Leibniz was one of the more famous residents of Hanover, where the Bahlsen company is based. At the time when the biscuit was first made there was a fashion of naming food products after historical celebrities (such as Mozartkugeln).

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

With great consequence to Western religion.

CNN was running the following around Easter:

CNN: Opinion: How ‘God’s ghostwriters’ transform our understanding of the Bible

The author extrapolates on the documented contributions of a presumed enslaved scribe name Tertius who wrote Paul's letter to the Romans. One can imagine literate Greek slaves doing the actual writing part of most of the New Testament.

Jesus Christ was executed by the Romans and almost certainly under Pilates orders. Crucifixion at that time was a special punishment reserved for Enemies of Rome

It was said that a Roman governor had to make three fortunes, one for the emperor, one for his sponsors and finally one for himself. Part of that enterprise was the money changers in the temple, Pilate was taking his cut from the money changers so must have been really p1ssed off when JC entered the temple and upset the tables.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

One other thing: Roman slavery was colour blind - slaves coming from all over the empire (and from beyond the borders). Just like Roman citizens, Roman slaves could be of any race, creed or sex. Some nationalities were prized more than others for certain slave roles (e.g. Greek slaves as tutors and scribes).

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Many of the Barbary pirates were European but operating from the Barbary Coast.

Indeed.
Curious isn't it that nearly all the current "narratives" about slavery in the 1700s fail to mention that, or the role of the Arab slave traders or even mention those African kingdoms that became incredibly rich by "acquiring" slaves from the African interior and selling them on to European and American traders (the African interior was a death trap for all White Europeans at that time due to disease that the locals could tolerate [if not immune to] but were fatal to whites).
If the purpose of such historical revision is to "shine the spotlight of truth and illuminate the hidden corners of history" they are doing a p*** poor job of it.

There was a two way slave trade between northern Europe and the Black Sea using the River Volga. Mainly young Scandinavian women southwards and male Africans northwards. Most of the women going south were very young, 12-15 years old and most of the Africans heading north were eunuchs.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think I would have quite liked a career as a grounds maintenance operative. 

Sorry looks like you've got a brain cell, your able to make a decision which is evidence of self determination, so I'm afraid you'll have to be a gardener instead.

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Sorry looks like you've got a brain cell, your able to make a decision which is evidence of self determination, so I'm afraid you'll have to be a gardener instead.

Actually I think people often assume I am more capable than I am so when I can’t do something they think I am being “difficult”. If I don’t understand  something, I will ask. This seems to be quite annoying to some people. 

Aditi knows to be specific in the gardening tasks, after I once pruned the wrong clematis. My task today was quite simple, to put all the tools away. Aditi was rushing in after being bitten by mosquitos. She seems to be more susceptible each year. When we first moved to Essex the mosquitos caused unpleasant reactions but I am less bothered now.

Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Posted (edited)

Here's a photo of the only iris in flower. I do like them but unfortunately they don't do very well here which is a disappointment.

This one is called Edith. Unfortunately I can't remember the rest of its name other than it's for a well known breeder of them.

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Actually I think people often assume I am more capable than I am so when I can’t do something they think I am being “difficult”. If I don’t understand  something, I will ask. This seems to be quite annoying to some people. 

Aditi knows to be specific in the gardening tasks, after I once pruned the wrong clematis. My task today was quite simple, to put all the tools away. Aditi was rushing in after being bitten by mosquitos. She seems to be more susceptible each year. When we first moved to Essex the mosquitos caused unpleasant reactions but I am less bothered now.

Tony

That is one of things I used to drum into my staff and contractors. If you don't know ask. But it was very difficult sometimes.

IMG_20240513_115827.jpg

Edited by Winslow Boy
Photo on phone
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. At long last I've got rid of that pesky fly. It has been in my house for almost a week. Usually the spiders are very efficient at getting rid of them but there seems to be very few of them this year. It finally met its end* under a heavy book just now. *Probably quite literally, it was a heavy book.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

How do you tell and extrovert mathematician?

They're looking at your shoes rather then their own.

And of course there's the constipated one who worked it out with a pencil. 

Jamie

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If no one misbehaved , why was he chucking dividers around then? 

There’s always one that never learns….

10 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I am really excelling myself next month. I got an invite to a meeting in Germany to discuss reducing GHG emissions (what else?) organised at short notice. So I cancelled my existing flight to Tokyo and booked a flight Singapore - Frankfurt - Tokyo - Singapore. I get home on Saturday morning and then fly to Copenhagen to talk about the urgent need to emit less. My daughter gave me an ear bashing last night, I told her not to blame me, I have no real desire to spend a large part of the month flying around. I have to say, it is ridiculous.

The thing I was slightly annoyed about other than the obvious of such a meeting being called at short notice is I had to cancel my Tokyo trip with Asiana as they're an excellent airline and will soon disappear into Korean Air. I now fly with Air China, another airline I like but I fear this was my last opportunity to fly with Asiana. Their food offering is superb, well it is if you like Korean food. 

Think of the Air Miles - they’ll come in very handy when you’re retired.  Ask a Bear how he knows….

9 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I did calculus, differentiation and integration at college, we were taught be an ex-rocket scientist, so he made learning it all quite easy. 

Bear’s college maths tutor was strongly rumoured to be ex-SAS; he was certainly ex Army, knew a lot about weapons and had apparently done Mercenary work too.  He was one tough SoaB that took sh1t from no-one.

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The thing is there are some simple ways of reducing emissions without undue sacrifice. One of which is to stop eating out of season fruit and vegetables. Do you really need out of season asparagus, strawberries or avocados flown in from god knows where?

Many people (Bear included) wouldn’t have a clue if they were in season or not; the easy way would be to stop shops from selling them.

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi knows to be specific in the gardening tasks, after I once pruned the wrong clematis. 

Bear once watered Momma Bear’s Clematis with petrol; that’s bad, apparently….

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

The little Beeza is poorly.  More specifically the gearbox and even more specifically the kick starter return spring is kaput. 

Bump start it??

• Like 16