RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1. I don't need new clothes and certainly not "it"

2. Allright, I'll get "it" to keep you happy

3. You can't throw "it" out! Despite holes, tears, patches and paint stains that's my favourite and most comfortable "it"...

As Grampa Simpson said, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we've all gone quiet I thought I'd report in.

Just photographed a 156 and a 153 at Botany Wood, now the RHTT has finished and the Sizewell "coal" is off line I'm getting desperate ! - although the 153 was unusual on a Lowestoft - Ipswich working

I'm now running SimSig Peterborough and just for fun have loaded 3 timetables, hang on the driver of 1A03 is on the phone ...

(Yes mate, I'll get it cleared as soon as the other 75 trains I've got stacked up have cleared, give me a bell in 5 minutes if it's still red)

Right, must get back to work ... :mail:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

sorry missed this am - up very early to go to Barrow.... -5C in Leeds, freezing fog - get to Skipton - -1C no fog - sun , blue sky etc and in Barrow.....5C sunny and not too cold!

Back in Leeds where it is -2C and foggy - micht have to spend more time in Barrow!!

• RMweb Gold

Back home from trip to the hospital, unpunctured ("have a blood test after Christmas").

I upset someone on the train this morning. The train arrives at Benfleet fairly full and lots of us get on. Someone was sitting alone in a row of 3 seats and he actually put his sports and business supplements from his paper onto the seat as I was about to sit down (and someone was planning to occupy the other seat). I politely informed the seated person that his newspaper appeared to have slipped onto the seat. He did move it with lots of puffing and sighing. The person intending to sit next to me moved to another seat he had seen. The reluctant mover of newspapers then informed me that I could move to the end seat. I told him I probably would once I had assured myself that everyone who wished to be seated had done so. I also added I had no wish to put myself next to him now I had a choice. He did seem to stare fixedly at his Blackberry after that.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Missed parade this morning. When doing a bit of wiring must have tripped out the RCCB and failed to notice. Woke up to a cold house this morning. I had switched a circuit out using the MCB but if you inadvertently touch the earth and neutral it trips out the RCCB. Years ago the advice working on a circuit was to put the fuse in your pocket stopped anyone mistakenly putting it back in whilst you were working on a circuit. What do you do with MCB's it is so easy to put one back inadvertently.

Tony it takes all sorts. Years ago I was with a work colleague getting the train home it was somewhat crowded so when two guys told us the other seats in the compartment were taken, my rather tall friend said they are now sitting down. We are lawyers and keeping them for friends they said. In that case you should probably know how to reserve seats at the ticket office said my friend. End of discussion.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

sorry missed this am - up very early to go to Barrow.... -5C in Leeds, freezing fog - get to Skipton - -1C no fog - sun , blue sky etc and in Barrow.....5C sunny and not too cold!

Is that because it's Barrow in Furnace?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that at the next station only one person got into our carriage and he didn't at first notice the empty seat next to me, well not until I mentioned it. Now he was a big chap, but for some reason it wasn't me that got squashed.

I am having a quiet evening in (well most are really) as Aditi is at work late tonight but for once it isn't due to somebody lumbering her with course modules to write , on this occasion it is courses to eat.

Tony

• Like 6

I forgot to mention that at the next station only one person got into our carriage and he didn't at first notice the empty seat next to me, well not until I mentioned it. Now he was a big chap, but for some reason it wasn't me that got squashed.

Out of curiosity - and as I used to do the Leigh to Thorpe Bay trip each day for years - which direction were you heading, Tony?

I remember many a long, cold wait at Leigh hoping to spot a train heading across the marsh in the depths of winter. Those pew-style seats could really suck the heat out a chap!

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity - and as I used to do the Leigh to Thorpe Bay trip each day for years - which direction were you heading, Tony?

I remember many a long, cold wait at Leigh hoping to spot a train heading across the marsh in the depths of winter. Those pew-style seats could really suck the heat out a chap!

Andy

I was on a west bound train. It may have started from Leigh but I'm not sure about that. The one about 9 o'clock is usually quite quiet as it is a bit late for commuters and is before the cheap day return trains start. The modern class 357 trains are in my opinion not at all bad. Compared to the slam door stock they replaced they are wonderful. I used to go from Benfleet to Stanford le Hope. So many people crammed into those tiny compartments!

Benfleet Station does have some shelter and now has a station café. In the winter the platform needed by 8 and 12 car trains is for those equipped with windproof jackets when the wind is coming off the Urals.

The big rail news here is that the bridge at Benfleet Station is being replaced over the Christmas to New Year week. This will close one of the two road routes to Canvey. I shall take photos during that week as Robbie's usual walk is in the park next to the station!

• Like 1

Takes me back, Tony.

One Boxing Day my dad was told to take my brother and myself out for a walk - presumably to burn off spare energy?!

He took us on a walk along the trackside from Benfleet to Leigh. In those days (~ '69, maybe?) it was fairly safe to assume that when they said there were "no trains running" that was the case. Sounds mad now and I think I walked backwards most of the way! And in those days the slopes from Leigh station up to the castle were prime blackberrying territory.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

They still are popular with blackberry pickers. The sea wall route parallels the railway line so you can walk safely! The Benfleet and Hadleigh Downs walks are still pleasant either down by the water or up along the hilly bits. Were there cattle on the marshes in your day? They seem to be back now. I suppose the sea marsh cattle are perfect for salt beef!

• Like 1

It seems we will have to change the name of our favourite Forum to ALL DAY AND INTO THE NIGHT RISERS.

It's become a twentyfour hour service.

Overcast and cloudy today, but still bright.

Happy Friday to those of you who still recognize weekends as different types of day.

Is anybody modelling?

• Like 3

Good morning one & all,

Well Don in answer to your question, apparently there's a parcel on my bed in the UK, which I happen to know is a loco kit (MY present to ME!) so during my brief visit to the Uk next week I just might get some modeling done....cant speak for the rest of course!

Have a good un all,

Trev.

• Like 1

Morning all.

We had light snpe overnight, but not enough to usr my snowshovel so I have just spent 20 minutes clearing the street. The temperature is just above freezing though.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Just slightly above freezing right now and the thaw's supposed to continue over the weekend. Nothing much to report as of yet, though!

We had light snpe overnight, but not enough to usr my snowshovel so I have just spent 20 minutes clearing the street.

Last night I hacked away some ice which had formed in several spots on the pavement over the past few days. I was even looking for our weed burner, but I'm not sure whether this would really have been more effective.