The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning from New York and here is y:our weather forecast for the New York Metroplex:

Partly Cloudy, WNW wind at 20 to 30mph.

High Temperature: -5C (feels like:-12C) Low Temperature -12C (feels like -20C)

Sunrise: 7:16am. Sunset: 5:04PM

"Significant" snow expected Friday afternoon into the night. Fast moving system so only amounts  6" to 12".

Feel grateful that England has such a mild climate.........and it is far worse in Canada.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all - and no i'm not retired!!!

Snowing heavily here. Roads are, apparently starting to fill in but school is open as normal.  Despite understanding the pressures on our head, I'm of the old school in that I dont think we should close unless absolutely unavoidabe. In our case that usually means the bus companies phoning the school saying we would like to come now because we wont be able to guarantee coming later.

Having said that, I too remember battling through to school whatever the weather (breaking the ice on the outside loos to use them when we got there) then sitting in cold dismal conditions, totally wet through and frozen, almost crying with pain as feeling came back to our fingers and toes.  Thankfully we have moved on from that.  Although reading some press there are some adults out there who think this is a good way to treat our children.

There was a nice non-sequitur on the local news last night - an article showing everyone and their uncle complaining about school closures followed immediately by a report about  school bus skidding and crashing in the snow.

• Like 3

Not seen Dave (Max Stafford) recently.

Is he OK?

He's listed some very tasty looking weathered locos on eBay this morning, so I'm guessing he's still alive and kicking!

Afternoon all.  Went to different office (my old building) this morning as there was a meeting planned for this afternoon.  Arrived at that office, opened email, meeting cancelled.  Now back at my normal desk.  Still, it wasn't a wasted trip, I spoke to our Divisional Solicitor about some regs we need to make, got a bacon roll from the canteen (with my customary extra rasher of bacon from the young lady who I always have a chat with when I'm down there, I think she likes me!) and picked up a Bellowhead album from HMV using my gift card (which they're now accepting again).

There's been more snow here, but very little of it settling, and certainly not on the pavements.

• Like 1

1982.  Allowed home from Stanier House in time to catch the 14:20 Taunton.  Eventually caught a very late running 16:02 all stations via the black country which gave up the struggle at Kidderminster.  Walked with one other passenger for Worcester, a total stranger, to Hoobrook where we adjourned to a hostelry for a whiskey and to wait for his wife to come and collect us by car.  She deposited me at the BRSA Club where I parked had my car.  This took half an hour to dig out, got home about 9:00pm.

Fast forward to 1988, the same guy interviewed me for a job at Metal Box, which I got.   

• Like 11

Ahhh, 1963 I remember it....not at all. 

But 1982 saw me cycling across ice to get to Southend Tech. college. Boy, is ice hard when you tumble on to it off a bike. 

Just spotted some mackerel in the pantry. Thinking of auctioning it.  Hey, if a tuna can get a million squid ins Tokyo, then a tin of mackerel should get me at least a PECO wagon! Just heard a politician on the TV saying that "the British really need oily fish". But let's not stray into dangerous political waters, I'm sure he's a lovely chap! 

Glenshee pass snow gates closed and the One o'Clock news came from glaciated Kincardine o'Neil, which is on my alternate route up to Ballater. Hoping that the rain does, indeed come along on Saturday and help melt some white/grey stuff. 

Busy working on a project plan here, and not a bacon sarnie in sight to revive me enough to colour it in. Now, where are my crayons....

Wondering if Ian has been affected by the gas cloud that is emanating from Rouen and spreading over France and the south of England. Not the after effects of lamb yoghurt josh, but mercaptan, apparently.

Enjoy the afternoon!

Andy  

• RMweb Gold

Er - no, no nasty smells from Rouen, and the wind is from the SE at present so not much chance, either. Rouen is 120 miles north.

On the other hand, there has been some foul-smelling stuff hereabouts, as I've been coping with problems on the least pleasant part of domestic plumbing. Sorted pro-tem, longer view may be needed to decide on further actions. Fortunately this happened after the snow had largely gone, and it is almost mild here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We have rain here now the snow is going. My car thinks it is warmer about 4-5deg my body doesn't feel any warmer. I'm inclined to believe my body.

Re the car incident. Other party has admitted liabilty. The claim was passed to Claim fast lots of time on the phone they said they would arrange a hire car to be dropped off and the car picked up. This morning the car hire company said sorry we don't cover the Isle of Wight you will have to pick it up from Porstmouth. Fortunately they had left a message or my response would have been rather rude. I feel a change of insurance co coming on.

Don

• RMweb Gold

When we moved to France, obviously we had to obtain new car insurance - AFAIK, UK insurers will let you drive abroad but not for very long and only if you have a UK address. At first sight, it seemed to cost a good bit more here, but there are some goodies in the package - not least that you can drive wherever you like in Europe without any condition applying (that I'm aware of, natch!).

One of my Facebook friends tells me there is snow in Torquay (just a few miles away) but none here, bizarrely!

As some of you might have seen on the national news the "snow" my friend thought she saw was actually hail which had frozen on reaching the ground, wreaking havoc with the rush hour traffic, causing accidents and road closures around Plymouth and Torbay.

• RMweb Gold

As some of you might have seen on the national news the "snow" my friend thought she saw was actually hail which had frozen on reaching the ground, wreaking havoc with the rush hour traffic, causing accidents and road closures around Plymouth and Torbay.

:O  I always thought it was sunny in South Devon. :mosking:

• Like 1

They had a shot of that on the Noon news over here, Sherry. One road was shown with a big jam one way and the other way with no traffic but covered in ice.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Bad winters - I was there in 1963, but don't remember being off school at all - also 1979 which was very cold indeed.

Other than that, I'm just about caught up now, and am pleased to see Pete is back with us.

Welcome also to our new ERs

Regards to All

Stewart

They had a shot of that on the Noon news over here, Sherry. One road was shown with a big jam one way and the other way with no traffic but covered in ice.

Wow! Fame at last!

The road you saw was the A38 route to Plymouth, which suffered from hailstones freezing on the surface. Elsewhere experienced thunderstorms and a church in Cornwall was struck by lightning, causing one of its pinnacles to shatter.

Edited by Ashcombe

• RMweb Gold

Good Evening All,

What a difference a day makes!

Excellent day today with hiccups dissipating. Fruitful meetings at bank & building society re MiL's affairs & also positive response from Life Assurance Co. Everybody seems to be bending over backwards to be helpful. Long may it continue! :yes:

The weather is behaving itself here and even most side roads are fairly clear now. Commiserations to all those who are suffering from really foul weather.

Regarding the pong from France-when I smelt it this morning I thought it was the gas man repairing next door's broken down central heating!

Cheers,  :drink_mini:

Bob.  

• Like 2

Wow! Fame at last!

The road you saw was the A38 route to Plymouth, which suffered from hailstones freezing on the surface. Elsewhere experienced thunderstorms and a church in Cornwall was struck by lightning, causing one of its pinnacles to shatter.

Ouch!  

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all , or hello hello hello , whats going on ere then .

Missed the boat completly this morning , not that I had much to say , the snow that

had just about vanished during the day is now being topped up , yep , about 6-00pm

it started again , looks to be about an inch on the car at the momment and it could

continue all night according to some forecasts .

I too remember the winter of 63 , great fun was had but only a couple of days missed school

I think , as I was in one of several villages that had bus transport provided we were at the mercy

of the private company contracted .

Have a pleasant evening .