The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from foggy Hampshire. Well, this bit anyway. 

Trev, that looks like one hell of a party you've thrown last nigh! Good luck with the clean up.

Spotted this on the Beeb website - readers favourite railway stations.  

Gordon, too right it's peaceful - that's why we go on holiday there each year. Well, that and the weather. :)

Spending the day on a mammouth Lego session with my lad. Might get a little work done on the model but motivation to get all the carpentry tools out in this weather is pretty low.

Catch up later.

Andy  

Totally agree Andy.  A trip to the Highlands every Nov/Dec was a lovely way to celebrate our anniversary.  Sadly our favourite B & B on the banks of Loch Ness has closed so we haven't been for a few years.  We must find a new idyll as we always loved going there out of season.  You could drive for miles and not see another person...

• Like 4

We've been going to Ballater for about 10 years now - we have a timeshare there. But before that, back in the 60s, my parents took me up to Rannoch (we had the last cottage on the loch before you take the road over to the station), Aberfeldy, Pitlochry for weeks at a time. They thought it was better value than, say, a week in a Spanish resort. Can't disagree with that! 

Andy

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1

Hi Andy,

From previous posts by you we know you have a 9yo daughter. How old is the lad?

Is it traditional Lego or the Techno stuff?

You mention it is going to be a 'mammoth' session.

What is the project?

• RMweb Gold

I'm certainly feeling more positive towards modelling and that's something that's passed me by since November.  

Another trip to the skips is in the offing then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely gorgeous morning - sunny and still, with the early morning frost just steaming off the garden.

Squirrel in the hanging basket and birds singing - almost a shame to just be having a "cleaning day" :no:

• RMweb Premium

We've had the same result in the kitchen as travelintrev, just as we were walking out the door to go on holiday!  Not quite as catastrophic, I saw it going and managed to break it's fall, while Mrs NHN was yelling at me to get a move on as we would miss the ferry!  Just put it on the floor and left it.....  1 year old house with expensive (and badly fitted) kitchen!

• RMweb Premium

So Spring is on its way.  The birds are more active than for weeks and with any luck the sun may break through once the mist has lifted...  

Same thing both for the birds and the recent weather forecast which mentioned at least a remote chance of the sun making it through. Sure would be nice...

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All

Outside the sky is blue and the sun is shining after a frosty start.

Inside (my head) it is rather foggy at the moment. I wouldn't call it a hangover but more of a slight suspension of crystal clear lucidity.

However my sense of smell is OK & tells me that bacon,eggs etc are in the offing so things are looking up.

Bye for now 

Bob

I

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Just a quick post then I'm going back to sleep. Matthew is setting off from his hotel at Calgary airport to have another go at flying to Texas. We have exchanged greetings and now I'm going back to sleep for a few hours. The weather here is ...dark. Currently 13C and supposed to be 18C after sunrise.

Aditi sent me a photo last night. She cut her lip when a tin of beans fell out of a kitchen cupboard. I thought it odd that tins of beans were leaping out of cupboards at midnight but she was trying to get the teabags. From this distance I didn't think it wise to ask if the worktop was OK.

Tony

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

the mist is lifting a bit but not yet enough to reveal the home of the super rich across the valley although that should eventually loom into view as we are promised some sunshine. Mrs Stationmaster is suddenly talking about a break 'somewhere' having started with April in Paris there has also been talk of Locarno in Switzerland (which might be a way of getting in a trip to the Bernese Oberland if I'm lucky).  Really must be more careful about encouraging her and clearly my fault for taking her out for a pub lunch yesterday (The Plough at Long Whittenham which is, we discovered, under newish management and has a revised menu - not much more expensive but definitely a shift up the quality and culinary ladder although the bar was a lot emptier than usual for a saturday so maybe the locals aren't so keen?  Elinor and I will find out shortly as it is our regular caling point after a visit to the Abingdon show).

Nothing else to report so have a good day one and all and do watch out Don - being introduced to the offspring is I understand the senior generation equivalent of youngsters being taken home to meet the parents.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Tales of unrequited passion in SA, suicidal cupboards in WA and an incontinent child in Torbay. The rest of RMweb never gets to such real-world stuff! And as for NHN accusing me of smut - that really is so hurtful. It must be nearly 20 years since the barmaid in the pub - 19 and almost as tall as Debs - christened me the King of Smut. There must be something about me, I suppose!

We have a lot of cloud - but it's all high, and there are tiny hints of blue here and there, so it's quite bright, but the east wind takes it down a degree or two, so not great for being out, really.

Comparisons are famously odious, not to mention pointless, but in September 1970 I spent a few days in North Wales "doing" the narrow-gauge lines with a few colleagues, and greatly enjoying the scenery. Somewhat unexpectedly, the following month I spent a couple of weekends in Deeside, having caught the bus from Aberdeen - and the scenery was even more impressive, TBH. Deb and I had a few holidays in Scotland, but more islands than Highlands, perhaps. Both countries, Scotland and Wales, remain on my bucket list.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Lovely morning again, I'm sitting in the kitchen with the sun streaming through the windows.

I hope all our ills are little ones today, I've had the Trev experience, with a shelf of block instruments - ouch.

Ashers, you should what my partner does when the nights become windy - retaliate, in kind. (Thank heavens she doesn't read this!)

Off for a further look at cars today (via a level crossing for a couple of 90s on the Norwich/Liverpool Streets - and perhaps a red light jumper too !), the new Fiesta has a 1.0l engine which can generate 125ps - something off a shiny shovel, and we are tempted as the deals on offer, coupled with fuel savings and the free servicing my partner gets through her job mean the "forecourt loss" is wiped out if we keep the car for 3 years - we are currently in negotiations with the dealership for a new one, progress will be reported as we make it.

Have a good day all.

• Like 2

Aditi sent me a photo last night. She cut her lip when a tin of beans fell out of a kitchen cupboard. 

There seems to be a lot of this about if Aditi and Trev are anything to go by. Hopee it's not catching!

Andy