The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Various computer idiosyncracies annoyed me beyond measure yesterday.  One of those attending Area Group on Wednesday thoughtfully sent me a link to a website which gave more details of the methods he used to weather the wagon that he brought to show us.  After trying several times to copy and paste it into an e-mail without success, I contacted the helpful person.  Apparently it only works if you copy the link from the e-mail to a Word document, then copy it again and paste it into the e-mail that you are about to send.  I shall try to remember that but more likely I shall fail miserably.

Chris

One thing worth trying Chris is to copy as normal after highlighting then use Ctrl + v to paste into the email.  It works for me on Webmail.   You can also use Ctrl + c to copy.   I've no idea why it works but I suspect it is some very deep connection to DOS.

Anyway morning has broken hear in the Charente.  The Collared doves/pigeons are cooing.   Don't the flaming flying rats ever get a sore throat.  It's a bit misty  but threatening to warm up.

Various minor tasks were competed yesterday and poison was placed in the shed in case the relatives of the mice that got recycled are still around.   

Today I'm going out in a couple of hours to my first meet up with the Charente Maritime Model Railway circle.   We are meeting for lunch in a town about an hour away then going to one of the member's houses to play with steamy things in the garden.  The group meets every month with the same format of lunch followed by a visit to a members house/layout/collection.  For some obscure reason Beth doesn't want to come with me....

Apart from that there isn't much else to report.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

A good nights sleep of 6 hours in bed followed by another hour on the sofa.. Highland park helps...

T'is a morning of mellow fruitfullness, the leaves are falling, heavy mist is dripping from the trees and a slightly foggy way into work needing the wipers on intermittant for the first ten miles.. It must Be the Fall / Autumn.

On the NDR embankments they are planting trees again.. In this weather? Already some of the fir trees they planted over the winter have died off...

The computer on my desk has decided to not to talk to it's spacebar again, I'm going to have to raise a ticket on the IT web site, If I can work out how to do it..

Meantime I'm sat here with a current shunt 3 inches from my left hand, warming up on 50Amp's, I have 2, 50As and 2, 100As to do this morning followed by lots of computerised paper work. Then on to the repaired several times unit.

Time too... Take the first measurement...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Sunny morning here. No shopping trip today, we are away next week..me on cricket umpiring, herself off to help her aunt move home.

Have a great day whatever you do.

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Scorchio is the motto of the day. What else is new? :jester:

These parts of the country are turning increasingly dry as well, Robert, and field fires have been reported in the wider area already. Various districts in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia have made it illegal to scoop water from rivers, either completely or if using hoses or similar technical means. Reservoirs have increased water spills into rivers, too. I'm still hoping the t-storms predicted for Sunday will indeed materialise...

That being said, the forecast for next week predicts an even hotter spell.

Not a lot else to report, so, see ya laterz, bros...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had ideas about actually washing my truck, but as it's a bit toasty I thought, "Buqqer it! I'll run it through the new all-singing, all-dancing automated carwash". Looks like it did a pretty good job too. The only snag is when I stopped at a store five minutes later some bird had carped all over one of the doors.

At least it was the door, Telf women would have done it on the front seat.

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs

(and a reminder: today's meeting of the church will be at 10am BST on BBC Radio 5Live)

Today's excitement will be a half-hour spent with a work experiencer, who consistently comes into the office better dressed than anyone else in the building. It shall be my task to teach him what a Quality Engineer does. This could be interesting, as I have only the haziest notion myself; I just wanted a catch-all job title to cover me as I bestrode the twin worlds of Quality Control and Quality Assurance like a colossus. 

After that, I don't know what the day holds. I see the Maybot is off to my native Northern Ireland to explain how the Irish border is going to work, to which my response is "Good luck with that"; in Parliament the Conservatives can't trust their whips, Labour can't trust their leader and the Lib Dems can't trust their MPs to vote at all; and on the other side of the pond the 'Make America Great Again' hats (made in China, and now slightly more expensive due to tariffs) are being supplanted by 'Make America Part Of The Russian Federation For The First Time' ones.

Every day feels like it ought to be, and in a kinder universe would be, a duvet day. *Sigh*...

Kind regards shuffling embarrassedly up to the afflicted to offer awkward hugs;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It’s a slightly duller start to the day, it as it is planned that we are going to the Trafford Centre this morning, it may not be a bad thing. Our return journey will take us past the butchers to pick up the weekly meat rations. After that there isn’t much planned as we have James and Amelia coming round for tea and so I’ll be making chicken curry. Luckily the sauce was made a few weeks ago and frozen in batches small enough for 4, this was taken out of the freezer yesterday. The bad news is it’s the last one, so next time someone wants curry I’ll have to make another batch. So all I’ve really go to do today is cook the chicken and make the pilau rice.

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Rainio.

I suspect the old farts bike club will be the old farts in cars moaning about the rain club.

PS:  First significant rain here for over seven weeks.  This surely must be a record!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Herself has just set off to the chiropractor and from there this week's Waitrose adventure will begin.  Although where we go seems to depend entirely on how she feels when she exits the chiropractor's establishment and will it be a stroll down the hill and round the corner or will it be a call for motorised conveyance and a trip to the trainspotting branch?  On such decision will my day be decided and it will be interesting to see how the car responds to me and vice versa as I'm still finding extended periods at the keyboard are leaving me feeling a bit muzzy headed although i think that is probably also down to the heat as well as my recent unintentional interface with the floor.

Have a good day one and all

Meantime I'm sat here with a current shunt 3 inches from my left hand, warming up on 50Amp's, I have 2, 50As and 2, 100As to do this morning followed by lots of computerised paper work. Then on to the repaired several times unit.

Please excuse my nosiness Q but are you able to tell us what type of equipment you are actually testing - I have no idea what sort of gear uses a current shunt!

Regards,

Dave

p.s. Still haven't worked out the proper name of Effin Clown Town :no: :no:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now wedded to the mobile phone. Dropped daughter off at Basildon hospital at 8 for day surgery. She has been told she could be seen between 9 and 5.30pm and hasn't been allowed anything to drink since 7am. Given how hot and humid it is, it isn't going to be a pleasant wait. Hopefully the call to pick her up won't be too long in coming.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I see Jamie is getting into the French ways of railway modelling. When I visited our twin town in France (Meux) with a layout I was surprised when come lunch time the doors were closed and out came the tables laden with food and wine for a couple of hours, very civilised. From speaking to others including here on RMweb this is apparently quite usual in France. Not having visited exhibitions in any other country but the UK and France I wonder if in other countries they have their own way of doing things?

• Like 13

Morning all

The endoscopy/colonoscopy procedure itself was uneventful. Much better than last time due to the presence of an experienced nurse anesthetist. I'm glad it is over and am looking forward to relaxing on the weekend.

Glad the procedure went well, always a bit nerve-wracking just before. I like it when the doc performing it proclaims that you are "nice and clean"!

The paramedics got there just in time to stop him bleeding to death but he has certainly removed himself from the gene pool. :scared:

Cripes! That made me wince.

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs

(and a reminder: today's meeting of the church will be at 10am BST on BBC Radio 5Live)

After that, I don't know what the day holds. I see the Maybot is off to my native Northern Ireland to explain how the Irish border is going to work, to which my response is "Good luck with that"; in Parliament the Conservatives can't trust their whips, Labour can't trust their leader and the Lib Dems can't trust their MPs to vote at all; and on the other side of the pond the 'Make America Great Again' hats (made in China, and now slightly more expensive due to tariffs) are being supplanted by 'Make America Part Of The Russian Federation For The First Time' ones.

Thanks for the heads-up for R5L, Gavin; yes, yes and yes. Weird that NI is demanding parity with whatever happens in the rest of the UK, but NI residents already have an advantage inasmuch as they qualify for an Irish (or EU) passport. Reciprocally folks from the Republic are able to obtain UK passports - wonder how many are doing that just now? All will unravel unfold in due course I'm sure, one way or the other.

Mal

• Like 15

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I see Jamie is getting into the French ways of railway modelling. When I visited our twin town in France (Meux) with a layout I was surprised when come lunch time the doors were closed and out came the tables laden with food and wine for a couple of hours, very civilised. From speaking to others including here on RMweb this is apparently quite usual in France. Not having visited exhibitions in any other country but the UK and France I wonder if in other countries they have their own way of doing things?

I'd like to see them try that at the SECC in Glasgow!

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps

Another slow start today Her is going to lunch with one of our ex neighbours so peace will prevail lunch 

time for an hour or two. :girldevil:

Nothing planned but there are still 14 wagons on the bench waiting on graphics, 10 require running 

numbers and 2 require a complete set.

Daughter and SiL turned up last night she had all the trays and racks from her oven to go into our dishwasher

I'm still waiting space for the BBQ griddles to go in, we have a BBQ event in 3 weeks time so they can wait, at

least Her has stopped asking me to fire the thing up. :good:

Spose I'd better move my butt. :smoke:

enjoy your day Idunno Wattodo   :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Please excuse my nosiness Q but are you able to tell us what type of equipment you are actually testing - I have no idea what sort of gear uses a current shunt!

Regards,

Dave

p.s. Still haven't worked out the proper name of Effin Clown Town :no: :no:

I should point out I calibrate the equipment, which calibrates the Equipement, which calibrates the equipment we make...

The Main reference set ranges from 1mA to 100A (14 shunts in all), and there is reserve reference set and a working set that other others are allowed to use.

Well today, with these current shunts these ones are used for testing.... Other current shunts..

In order to calibrate the 50 and 100Amp shunts a couple of weeks ago I calibrated a 20 to 120 Amp  Direct Current transformer unit..

That CT unit was calibrated by me using six 20Amp current shunts, they were calibrated by me, against our reference standard 20Amp Shunt kept in an oil bath at 23C+-0.125C. That 20 Amp Current Shunt is calibrated by.... The National Physical Laboratories in Teddington...

This type of shunt is also used with a test station which, is used to test an equipment  this company makes for the calibration of equipment, used on 3 phase mains supplies. In all I have just over  100 shunts to do in any 3 month period.. 

I've finished the shunts now and all the spreadsheets of the 14 Shunts, updated the correction files in the equipment they are used on, passed to my boss a list of them all, he will then check that it's all ok. This is a standard procedure to ensure we don't calibrate anything from a customer incorrectly.  If I made a mistake and it wasn't checked it, could get into the outside world and be used on military / hospital / aviation equipment with dire results... or your lights could just go out...

I'm now working on a Temperature meter going to a calibration Laboratory in Germany, Or rather I'm not I'm going for a cup of tea...

Oh

P.S. Effin Clown town is Hoveton as In "Wroxham and Hoveton" Station. Most of the tourists think they are in Wroxham, and wander across the "A" road without a care in the world hence "Effin Clowns". They think they are in Wroxham because they are surrounded by shops saying " Roys of Wroxham", only Roys is in Hoveton.. Wroxham is the other side of the river..

It's called Roys of Wroxham because back in the days of railway delivery, if it was addressed Hoveton it went MIssing, because the porters were looking for the first Name of the station which is Wroxham (which is also in Hoveton...)

Are you confused? most people are..

Now I'm definately going for that cup of tea..

• Like 12

Thanks for the heads-up for R5L, Gavin; yes, yes and yes. Weird that NI is demanding parity with whatever happens in the rest of the UK, but NI residents already have an advantage inasmuch as they qualify for an Irish (or EU) passport. Reciprocally folks from the Republic are able to obtain UK passports - wonder how many are doing that just now? All will unravel unfold in due course I'm sure, one way or the other.

Mal

Happily, I am in the position of being Schrodinger's EU Citizen, with both an EU and a soon-to-be-non-EU passport at the ready. As for NI, there is much I could say that would probably fall foul of RMWeb's rules on political discussion, so I shall merely report without opinion that my observations suggest that the whole country, my glorious homeland, is - and I admit no exception for anyone of any particular political stripe, I say this without fear or favour - a complete basket case. A hard border on the island horrifies everyone, a theoretical border between Northern Ireland and Scotland horrifies the Unionists (who maintain that Ulster-Scots is a language all of its own - it isn't, and since I have a postgraduate degree in Irish & Scottish Studies [incorporating linguistics] I can argue as much with considerable confidence), and a soft border anywhere horrifies the Brexiters.

Like I say: basket case.

• Like 3

Morning again

Just stopped raining here - we could probably do with another day or so of drizzle. Must be much more parched in the south of England.

Anyway, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were very good at Edinburgh Castle last night. Support was Gaz Coombes (ex-singer of 90s pop combo Supergrass, m'lud), also good. Sound was excellent for the most part. Never been to a gig at the castle before but very atmospheric with flaring torches on the ramparts as the sun goes down. Gallagher was sardonic as ever, telling one punter who'd thanked him for everything that he could at least buy a t-shirt. Makes sense to use the tattoo seating for concerts a week or so before the festivities begin. Tonight it's Bananarama, and tmrw Del Amitri.

Culture week continues for us with a lecture tonight at the National Museum of Scotland about new exhibition Rip It Up! which is a history of Scottish pop culture from the 50s until today. BBC2 Scotland is running a three part documentary about it at the same time as you lot in England, Wales and NI get to see a doc about the world's biggest sewer (or something) in London - just a load of cr*p then, hoho. Rip It Up should be on BBC iPlayer - well worth catching if you like Lonnie Donegan, Nazareth or the Cocteaus or Proclaimers or Orange Juice or Aztec Camera...et al

Hope you all have a culture-filled day

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 16

Happily, I am in the position of being Schrodinger's EU Citizen, with both an EU and a soon-to-be-non-EU passport at the ready. As for NI, there is much I could say that would probably fall foul of RMWeb's rules on political discussion, so I shall merely report without opinion that my observations suggest that the whole country, my glorious homeland, is - and I admit no exception for anyone of any particular political stripe, I say this without fear or favour - a complete basket case. A hard border on the island horrifies everyone, a theoretical border between Northern Ireland and Scotland horrifies the Unionists (who maintain that Ulster-Scots is a language all of its own - it isn't, and since I have a postgraduate degree in Irish & Scottish Studies [incorporating linguistics] I can argue as much with considerable confidence), and a soft border anywhere horrifies the Brexiters.

Like I say: basket case.

Well, my 93-year old mum definitely qualifies for an Irish passport (her grandmother was born in Ireland in the 1860s) and I'm still hoping I can obtain one through my mum, then my kids can would qualify, too, but not my wife. Such are the rules. If my grandmother was born in NI, I would definitely qualify, too, but for some reason my great grandparents went to Preston for her birth then returned to Bushmills. Am having trouble getting the birth certificate because many records were destroyed in records' office fire the 1920s. I have to go to the parish itself and check records there. A good excuse for a mini-holiday methinks. Was in NI a decade ago for an enjoyable weekend in Belfast. A lot of history and, er, booze was consumed.

Mal

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My late father spent over 20 years teaching at Hoveton Secondary School retiring as Head of Humanities. Is the phrase "Wroxham of Roys" still heard; it's 40 plus years since I paid a visit.

• Like 9

Good morning one and all, with apologies to Baz for overlooking his birthday yesterday.

Various computer idiosyncracies annoyed me beyond measure yesterday.  One of those attending Area Group on Wednesday thoughtfully sent me a link to a website which gave more details of the methods he used to weather the wagon that he brought to show us.  After trying several times to copy and paste it into an e-mail without success, I contacted the helpful person.  Apparently it only works if you copy the link from the e-mail to a Word document, then copy it again and paste it into the e-mail that you are about to send.  I shall try to remember that but more likely I shall fail miserably.

Then there has been more grief with Faecesbook.  I spent what was probably most of the day figuring out how to post in the check-in section, by means of which you can tell anyone that you have been somewhere.  Almost accidentally I made it work for the pub where Area Group meets – the Engineer in Harpenden, since you ask - but, try as I may, I could not get it to tell the world that I checked into Bristol Pride on Saturday.  Common sense tells me not to bother but I have an obstinate streak.  Eventually, and despite p!ss-poor instructions which seem to omit half the procedure, I achieved my objective.  The silly bit is that there are now also entries in News Feed AND Profile, which looks a bit odd nearly a week after the event!  Why is nothing ever simple? Later I amused myself populating the section telling whoever wants to know what TV programmes I watch.  I wonder what it will do if I ask it to list Z Cars?  Watch With Mother?  The Test Card?

Happier news by far is that the new Mamma Mia film opens today.  That will give me something to do over the weekend.

Fancy jeans with flybuttons being high fashion!  As I profess either to set trends or ignore them completely I am quite shocked and may never live it down.  Both my pairs of jeans have survived the laundry process but a visit to M&S before it succumbs may not be a bad idea.  As far as I know the only designer item I have is a Jasper Conran towel.

Warm thoughts to Andyram, Andy P, Robert, Simon, Debs, Tony and Aditi, Mal and all who are in distress or missing.

Chris

Hatfield my be your nearest M&S Outlet store. Apologies if I am teaching egg sucking Chris but Outlet stores are a different animal to M&S stores in general.
  • Like 3

And it is about the only game that I'm missing.

Bill

it turned into a fairly routine win for Somerset. The atmosphere was quite good, even up in hospitality, and the majority of our box did watch while we ate our curry and drank our beer/wine.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

My late father spent over 20 years teaching at Hoveton Secondary School retiring as Head of Humanities. Is the phrase "Wroxham of Roys" still heard; it's 40 plus years since I paid a visit.

It is, Though they've stopped supplying the street lighting now. The Broads hotel has now gone in the last few months, Roys bought the ruins to extend the car park, as they are about to extend the main store on the left (with the bridge behind you).

The School Is now Called Broadland High School, which I will pass on my way home in about 3 hours..

I arrived the first time into the area in 1977 posted to RAF Neatishead. (pronounce Neat -stead for those that don't know)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I should point out I calibrate the equipment, which calibrates the Equipment, which calibrates the equipment we make...

I guess it's a FLUKE if you understand that, and I don't mean 'An unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.'

Looking at where you are based it must be very windy - you don't want too many Hurricanes on the Broads

I must admit to being one of your Effing Clowns last year - luckily I found Roy's DIY whilst SWMBO went in the main store(s) . . . . . 

• Like 17