The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Post din dins and Bear goes for a Hilly Walk - despite the rain.  What happens?  Some complete T0sser drives thru’ a puddle at speed as Bear was walking past…… 🤬🤬🤬

And they were in a Fiat 500 with no oncoming traffic.

Rumour has it that A Certain Bear might just have called them a naughty word that rhymes with at least part of Sqn. Ldr Hunt…..

Is there a separate ‘List’ for Fiat 500 drivers whose nick names rhyme with James Hunt then? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Paint has been purchased for adding this year's shiny coat to the cottage.  I'm cheating and using water-based gloss straight onto the washed-down and lightly-rubbed previous coat.  I have neither time nor skills to do a full rub-down-to-wood and apply everything from undercoat upwards.  

If the existing paint is in good nick then it's better to leave it where it is and not take it back to bare wood anyway as it provides added protection; personally I prefer oil based paint though as I find it tougher, longer lasting and easier to apply (that water based stuff often dries so quickly it's still on the end of the brush and not the wood...)

3 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Is there a separate ‘List’ for Fiat 500 drivers whose nick names rhyme with James Hunt then? 

There is now.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

That's a pick-up truck! 😉

Oval logo suggests a Ford but that's not a F-150 / F-350 etc. And it's generative AI. It does 'look' Toyotary, but isn't.

Actually the snow was all I needed to realise that @polybear had faked the picture of an Australian "ute". 

I'd agree with you about the Ford grill, I'd say the AI  checked out Aussie ute/pickups and chose  the Ford Ranger, though thanks to the Government primary industry and mining tax rebate on them  which everyone else can take advantage of there's oh so many soulless 4 door ute/pickup/SUV/s here now, all diesel and all looking identical that I can't be bothered trying to figure out what it is any further. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Having read all the comments about updates, Android has just told me there is anlupdate arriving. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

...  then bvggerin’ about with a new printer cartridge that refuses to be recognised - even after trying the usual tricks.  As I bought it in mid 2022 as a part of a full colour set the seller (Stinkyinks) won’t send a replacement as it’s more than 12 months.  T0ssers 🤬. A new one is on it’s way to Bear Towers - from a different company…..

The bit that really p1sses me off is I want a B & W print - and it’s a colour cartridge…… 🤬

Post din dins and Bear goes for a Hilly Walk - despite the rain.  What happens?  Some complete T0sser drives thru’ a puddle at speed as Bear was walking past…… 🤬🤬🤬

And they were in a Fiat 500 with no oncoming traffic.

Rumour has it that A Certain Bear might just have called them a naughty word ... 

Printerinks is my bete noire of ink suppliers - sent me a cartridge which wouldn't work in my printer despite their website claiming it was compatible. Then refused to refund or replace. One of the times I wish I had a credit card, with the extra protection. GDPR was ignored by these skunks as well, unsolicited emails sent [several months] after unsubscribing (and getting an email to prove). I referred the *s to the commissioner. 

At the risk of appearing to confuse RMW with Freecycle, my printer has recently given up the ghost, keeps giving error messages about cartridges not being recognised - despite none being changed recently and all still having at least some ink in. It is however over 16 years old. I had a look online and tried a couple of the suggested fixes, didn't work. So anyone near Otley fancying a free printer to try their luck with, PM me urgently - it has a date with the tip on Tuesday otherwise. 

Puddin, that happened to me too on a local street. I suspect gross doziness rather than deliberate malevolence ... particularly as the driver pulled into his driveway while still within sight of me. As our american friends might say, I'll claim the fifth on the sequel to this episode... 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Back from afternoon tea - Dave, the memory was possibly better than my actuality today - the hotel is badly in need of a facelift - the room was quite dull, and for £25 the tea was good but really only worth about £17.  There was no choice of tea - just English breakfast from a tea bag - not even leaf tea.  Sandwiches were nice but oh so tiny - scone was not bad, but jam was just a little jar of Tiptree raspberry and the sweet treats were - sweet - good job I took some extra insulin with me. 

There is another tea shop in Ludlow which we will try the next time - which will be for 30747's birthday which was in February, but which we missed as I was just out of hospital.

What a shame, you have my sympathies. Still, it will save me a disappointment next time we visit Ludlow. I'd be interested to know how you get on with your next outing.

Dave

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

At the risk of appearing to confuse RMW with Freecycle, my printer has recently given up the ghost, keeps giving error messages about cartridges not being recognised - despite none being changed recently and all still having at least some ink in. It is however over 16 years old. I had a look online and tried a couple of the suggested fixes, didn't work. So anyone near Otley fancying a free printer to try their luck with, PM me urgently - it has a date with the tip on Tuesday otherwise. 

Whilst the Hospice Charity does take small electricals (they all go on the 'bay after being PAT tested (but not tested for correct operation - there's just no time to check them out properly) they won't touch Printers** - presumably too many in the past have sent bvggered ones to the Charity to let someone else fight with.

**Microwaves are another - though I suspect that's safety related.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis is playing merry hell this evening, I took a couple of co-codamols earlier and I will take a couple more before going to bed. I watched 'The Great Steam Adventure' on channel 5 earlier, not too bad and hats off to Peter Davison for steering an enormous traction engine through the narrow Lakeland roads, especially where there was a lot of traffic.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Evening Awl,

Which is no different to all day Awl, cos it's still precipitating, that's 14+ hours of it...

The radar museum was quiet, I saw just 8 people and only did one guided tour, one guy didn't need the tour, he was the same RAF trade as me, and we missed each other at trade training by just a few weeks.

Much sort of modeling done, 10 of those failing switch caps were repaired, and I'm told every one so far reinstated has worked.🙂

Then I built the case for the mini ultrasonic radar from the kit of parts I made last week.

It's now setting, next week I just need to give it a polish up and mount it on the board.. oh I painted the board today too. ( Blue of course).

Got home to a subdued swmbo.. I left her with the bottom of the stove  open, telling her to shut it when the fire got started... She forgot and went down to the mobile home... A near neighbour came hammering at the door... Our chimney was doing an impression of a loco at full acceleration, with a full load ,  up a hill..

She shut down the stove, and covered the fire with ash... and is now worried about damage done... That won't be known till Monday when I'll have time to clean out the remains , check the fire bars etc..

I suppose it was better soggy today than tomorrow, as I'll be on car park duty, for http://www.horningboatshow.com/ the fact that as well as encouraging people to go across to the sailing club https://www.horning-sailing.club/ , I'll have a pocket full of radar museum leaflets https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/ , and another pocket full of leaflets about something unmentionable happening in Hoveton village hall Stalham Rd, Hoveton, Norwich NR12 8DU, Sunday May 26th, 10:00 to 16:00. https://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/hoveton-2024/

Has nothing to do with why I volunteered for the job of course...

Muggachoccy gone,

Good night Awl.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd agree with you about the Ford grill, I'd say the AI  checked out Aussie ute/pickups and chose  the Ford Ranger, though thanks to the Government primary industry and mining tax rebate on them  which everyone else can take advantage of there's oh so many soulless 4 door ute/pickup/SUV/s here now, all diesel and all looking identical that I can't be bothered trying to figure out what it is any further. 

There used to be a similar thing in Britain, some tax advantage for pick ups which led to a booming market for crew cab types with four doors. Manufacturers developed luxury ranges which were given all the same toys and fancy wheels as high end luxury cars. However I think they changed the legal bit that made them attractive and the market seemed to evaporate (though you still see quite a few).

The other booming market for a while was pick ups with expensive expedition upgrades and performance packs, like the Isuzu D-Max Arctic. Utterly pointless in a country like Britain, but so is a Ferrari or Lamborghini and even hot hatches are pretty pointless on public roads so it's probably a bit unfair to criticise fancy pick ups.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Some interesting conversations; one even got a bit heated. The programme broke off for the shipping forecast just before 1am. Can't remember if I've ever listened to it all the way through. In a way it's quite melodic; I tried to visualise travelling clockwise around the coast, starting in the far north, as it was read out. When you think it's finished, then come the inshore water reports and then the forecast.

Try this version

Weather Forecast -- the Master Singers

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The other booming market for a while was pick ups with expensive expedition upgrades and performance packs, like the Isuzu D-Max Arctic. Utterly pointless in a country like Britain, but so is a Ferrari or Lamborghini and even hot hatches are pretty pointless on public roads so it's probably a bit unfair to criticise fancy pick ups.

Every SUV and 4WD ute worth its salt here has a roobar, massive lights and a snorkel.  Outside the city I acknowledge that the bar and lights make a bit of  sense but I have no idea the thinking behind paying out $1000+ to add a snorkel on your shiny urban assault vehicle.

image.png.054b46d9d94f0c579f3157cd3ef36423.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

It seems the next 3 days promises to bring at least reasonable weather over Bear Towers - well, that's if the Met Forecast is accurate.....

Alexa has other ideas, however, telling Bear there's a 49% chance of rain today, a 55% chance tomorrow and 90% on Monday.....

Bear's money is on Alexa.....

Turdycurses.

Bear has the joys of driving the washing machine to look forward to today; there may also be some cleaning of Bear Towers to be done.  Whoopeeshit.

BG

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

With the rain we had round here this winter I was seriously thinking of a proper snorkel, certainly the flooding of some roads in Norfolk were of snorkel needing level.

Mooring Awl,

2 hours sleep long awake only solved by couple of pink pills, found out some of the problem this morning.. I was attempting to sleep on my watch which had come off.

Ben the good Collie had a very nice patrol in zero wind and 100% blue Welkin.

I've been threatening to wear a kilt for the show for some years.. with this weather ... This is it.

Kilt is now ready to change into.

I've got to leave in ten minutes.

Time to make like a blue xxxx fly Highlander.

• Like 19

30 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

There's a whole hobby of Land Rover Defender enthusiasts in Britain who pimp up their vehicles to be able to compete in the Paris-Dakar Rally or operate with the SAS in Afghanistan so they're properly prepared to make the arduous trip to Tesco or the next Land Rover show.

Yeah and there’s another whole hobby of Land Rover Defender ‘Less than Enthusiastics’… who are doing their bit for the environment by allowing particles of rust to fall off of their vehicles every day as they bomb around the country side, out farming, shooting and ‘off roading’ on what’s left of our highways road surfaces. There by making such vehicles more and more fuel efficient every day. 

Sometimes these particles of rust can amount to several kilos of metal and on one occasion they took the form of a whole back door! Still it is at times like that, that it makes you feel enormously proud to know that you are really doing your part to address world issues! 

I’m even considering writing to the Swedish Enviro Fascist to tell of my endeavours.

Might even get on the Nobel short list…..well probs somebody’s short list anyway! 

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

See, see….they've done it again! 

Weightrose have done it again. They have reduced their Portuguese custard tarts to £1 each…….

This is a conspiracy. 

So I bought two…..

And their plan worked….the birty dastards. 

IMG_5860.jpeg.b9beffff116ae56fc4685f7f39eaaeec.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

3 minutes ago, Grizz said:

See, see….they've done it again! 

Weightrose have done it again. They have reduced their Portuguese custard tarts to £1 each…….

This is a conspiracy. 

So I bought two…..

And their plan worked….the birty dastards. 

IMG_5860.jpeg.b9beffff116ae56fc4685f7f39eaaeec.jpeg

What's more they knew you were coming. Very suspicious that.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12