East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

and can't make a point on your lap, while watchin the telly, in the lounge....

...with a cold beer carefully balanced to offset the weight of the tools...

Agreed...lovely pics again Richard...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

I spoke to someone at the L&B show yesterday who found the very same thing happened to him....

I'm sure the problem won't happen with C&L's O guage point kit..... I'll let you know...

I recall speaking to a modeller who built his oo trackwork in-situ

laying the sleepers first, then ballasting before the rails are put in place

This also has the advantage of making the ballasting easier & neater...

This modeller said that sleeper curling never happened when trackwork was built in this way

I think this method is employed by Norman Soloman?

Of course, the difficulty is that you have to be working on the baseboard the whole time,

and can't make a point on your lap, while watchin the telly, in the lounge....

Nice set of pics again Rich

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes, that is possible to lay the sleepers first on a small layout - although would have to sit on the dining table!

We have a lounge / diner so can half watch the TV, well SWMBO can do!

Also, longer lengths of rail can be laid through the point to create smoother track, then just 'nick' the top of the rail for the 'rail joints'. Then just add the fishplates.

Only works off course if you are building the plain track as well - I've used C&L flexible plain track.

Edited by mudmagnet

Nice job you've made of it too Richard....

.... Since reading this, I've been thinking about finally getting stuck into my "Cashmores"

scrapyard layout. So I dug out a couple of old EMG points I made what now seems like decades ago...

...hang on, it WAS decades ago ;)

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In preparation for our clubs exhibition on Saturday, I've been making the most of the sunshine to weather my coaching stock and DMU, which will get a run out on Tawbridge.

So, I took the opportunity for some photos on East Yarde.

No photos of the coaches, but a couple of the class 108 DMU.

post-7854-0-93214700-1342387740.jpg

post-7854-0-10858300-1342387745.jpg

post-7854-0-35941000-1342387749.jpg

post-7854-0-62646100-1342387753.jpg

post-7854-0-04441400-1342387758.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

The tall flowers are made as per an article in a recent BRM.

Starting with stalks from Greenscenes (although the article used stiff brush bristles), which have very small side stalks, I applied PVA and rolled in static grass fibres and left to dry. Then, sprayed with cheap and cheerful hairspray and then light rolled in coloured flock, which has a tendency to stick to the ends of the fibres.

The other tall plants are either small pieces of sea foam ('forest in a box') or more stalks covered in dried tea or scenic scatter.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst in my local model shop on Saturday, I bought myself a Hornby BR Maunsell brake van 'C'. It didn't stay clean for long!

Photographed on East Yarde, at the end of the local passenger train running through!

The bulk of the weathering was achieved using my airbrush (and most removed with a cotton bud). Since the photos were taken, I added a little more weathering by dry-brushing a pale brown onto the steps, handles and planking (to represent the faded paint).

post-7854-0-11215900-1349628268.jpg

post-7854-0-44216300-1349628271.jpg

post-7854-0-11584700-1349628275.jpg

post-7854-0-44443800-1349628278.jpg

post-7854-0-95517100-1349628280.jpg

post-7854-0-39571800-1349628284.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Great weathering and the vegetation looks wonderful. Any chance that you will be exhibiting this at Barnstaple next year?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I've been asked before about exhibiting at another show. It certainly is a possibility as a static display, not so sure about as an operating layout though for a number of reasons

(boards are quite narrow, so will need a sturdy support), (a fiddle yard would be needed at both ends - I'm not sure whether it would be practicable as a 'roundy-roundy').

Having said that, there is a chance to show at Barnstaple, especially if we need to fill some space!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

I've been asked before about exhibiting at another show. It certainly is a possibility as a static display, not so sure about as an operating layout though for a number of reasons

(boards are quite narrow, so will need a sturdy support), (a fiddle yard would be needed at both ends - I'm not sure whether it would be practicable as a 'roundy-roundy').

Having said that, there is a chance to show at Barnstaple, especially if we need to fill some space!

Could East Yarde and Orchard Road be connected together? I know it would mean lots of light engine movements, but it would give EY a chance of some operation; and it would only need a short fiddle yard.

Or if it to remain static, have you offered it to the Good Captain for Taunton?

Just a thought,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could East Yarde and Orchard Road be connected together? I know it would mean lots of light engine movements, but it would give EY a chance of some operation; and it would only need a short fiddle yard.

Or if it to remain static, have you offered it to the Good Captain for Taunton?

Just a thought,

Dave.

Oh! A can of worms have been opened!

In answer to your questions Dave,

1) I don't think that it would very practicable to join EY to OR - only through the fiddle yard end.

2) There is a possibility for Taunton next year - I need to do a little more work to get it ready for showing, but possible

Additionally, I've been asked about another exhibition, so does make it seem worthwhile looking how I could display / operate EY the most effective way.

Watch this space ....

I've a few ideas, so need to have a closer look.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1)........only through the fiddle yard end.

That's no bad thing.

I've always fancied doing a layout (well extending one I have already actually!) by using the fiddleyard as the pivot point and having a layout spring from each side....that way, alternating between the two ends means there is always something moving.

Worth considering for these two perhaps?

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Me being me I had a look at this photo and saw nice things. I also took out the tension lock couplings and the dust(?)

Unfortunately now the lighting looks artificial (but the detail is sensational).

post-6702-0-98445400-1349768060.jpg

• Like 7