East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Bit of "me too" here, but those 2 pictures in your 2nd post of the 25 nosing over the crossing are just so evocative of the real thing - very nice, the daylight must help the effect too.

As for the Deltic  :O  :crazy: - well it's your train set...!  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bill (Treggyman) makes use of an auto shuttle on Penhallick Junction, albeit with a modern single unit. A well weathered blue DMU would work just as well here, rather than just being a static display.

But as has been said, it looks superb !

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments! Much appreciated.

I've added a few more of my Judith Edge 06 - yes I know completely out of region, but couldn't resist.

The photos were taken outside, late yesterday in fact with the sun beginning to fall, thus creating a few better shadows.

Will take some more another day.

The 55 is a 'strange' visitor, but there for a few reasons -

1 - i wanted a couple of better photos since weathering that I had not been able to achieve previously

2 - my son helped un-pack some stock and this was the first loco that he grabbed!

3 - yes, it is my 'train-set' and I happen to like the 55

I had thought about a shuttle of sorts, but would still like to make at least one fiddle yard so that the DMU disappears off-scene. Perhaps a little more thinking is needed ...

post-7854-0-25508700-1370278308.jpg

post-7854-0-40378900-1370278311.jpg

post-7854-0-18027200-1370278314.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Richard

I'm sure the exhibition manager will jump at the chance of having such a fine exhibit....

Look forward to seeing it in a few weeks time!!!!!

Nice to see you & Ray again at the excellent Exeter show last Saturday

Roll on your show in Barnstaple in July. can't wait

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

If you do need an off-stage area for shuttles, a single track 2 foot long "fiddle stick" would be enough... nudge, hint ;)

Yeah! You're right!

Something along the lines that Marc Smith would use!

I can see that this is not going to disappear now!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Richard,

It's really great seeing these photos of East Yarde shot nicely in daylight.

As Rich says the ones of the Class 25 are so evocative of the North Devon line.

As for the visitors I really like the weathering. Nice and subtle too.  That Class 06 suits the setting too and the preshading has worked nicely.

East Yarde is one of those layouts which is timeless and could be back dated to steam days or modern times.  With the future introduction of the Realtrack FGW Class 143 in 'Local Lines' livery and Bachmann doing the Class 150 in FGW simplified livery there are many options.

Like others have said EY deserves to be exhibited and not just as a static didplay either.  Hope it gives you food for thought.  That Marc Smith has a lot to answer for! ;)

Keep the photos coming.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Auto shuttles do take the workload off the operator, as I noted on Eskmuir at Railex, where a DMU popped back and forth unattended, while the operators made better use of their time & skills with freight shunting etc. Even with such a small layout, it might be better than being completely static? I share the view that the level crossing shots have oodles of atmosphere.

Yes, auto shuttles are a great idea
But they can be overdone....
I don't like to see the same unit, shuffling back + forth every minute
but that's just a personal thing...

Anything that eases the operators "tasks" is very welcome
Last weekend at Newport, Naturol's "Castle Works"
had me green with envy!

For those who haven't seen it, it's a circular steelworks layout

based on a US plan, and is basically an inverted figure 8 loop

i.e. the train does 2 circuits of the layout

Naturol was able to set it up & walk away from it.....
Now I want a layout like that....

Oh no, I'm tearing up plans & starting some new sketches now ;)

That 06 might be "off region" mudmagnet,
but it looks perfectly "at home" to me....
Smashing stuff sir

Marc

( 1 )

Yes, auto shuttles are a great idea

But they can be overdone....

I don't like to see the same unit, shuffling back + forth every minute

but that's just a personal thing...

( 2 )

Anything that eases the operators "tasks" is very welcome

Last weekend at Newport, Naturol's "Castle Works"

had me green with envy!

For those who haven't seen it, it's a circular steelworks layout

based on a US plan, and is basically an inverted figure 8 loop

i.e. the train does 2 circuits of the layout

Naturol was able to set it up & walk away from it.....

Now I want a layout like that....

Oh no, I'm tearing up plans & starting some new sketches now ;)

Marc

( 1 )

If you have an inkling toward 'shuttles' - John at our club has used them, most notably on one of his LT underground layouts.

You can programme the shuttle as to both speed and frequency, so the shuttling train isn't tooooo frequent.

John concealed both terminal ends of his shuttle so the viewer never was the 1938 stock stop, reverse and start again.

(2)

With 'Castle Works' the ability to set it up, let it go and then wander off to pester other exhibitors like yourself is an added bonus.

My grandsons will eventually want a model railway, and an amended version of the 'Castle Works' plan has been considered as it is 4'0" in diameter and with a shunter / Pannier / Jinty and a few sixteen tonners of 12 ton vans would work very well.

Brian R

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all of your comments!

East Yarde WILL be at Barnstaple exhibition July 27th, but will be displayed as a static model. so Bill, you will get chance to see it and of course anyone else who visits the show.

So, another good reason to visit!

The shuttle options certainly need some thought, but will also need to allow switching out so that I can still 'play'! Note, wired for DCC as well.

I won't be doing anything much with this for awhile though.

I agree about the level cross view - I will have ago at replicating this with a class 31. There are a few photos around with a 31 running through Yarde with and without clay wagons (note pre-hooded versions, running early 80's).

I'm pleased with the finish on the 06 and couldn't resist adding a couple of photos here.

Richard

• Like 3

Hi Richard

Great news that East Yarde will be at the Barnstaple show.

As regards shuttles.....

I do use one on Penhallick Jct & did on Deviock Dock.....

The primary function was as has been alluded to above.....While shunting/changing stock cassettes/talking to the public something keeps moving to keep kids etc interested.

Also as the shuttle operates on the 'main line' which is at the back,whilst shunting is taking place in front in the yard the public don't seem to notice it too much...Also I have quite a selection of units etc so keep changing them for variety.

Your situation with just the one track is slightly different but station stops etc. can also be programmed in to some units

On Penhallick the shuttle can be switched out & the unit or whatever driven by the controller as normal;or it can be switched to the yard controller so the whole layout can be controlled by one controller....Simple use of DPDT switches.....So there is no reason for you not to be able to 'Play' as & when you wish.

See you in July

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, after much deliberation, I've decided to sell East Yarde.

I could do with the space (already having 4 other layouts finished and 3 started)!

So, I will be showing East Yarde at our club show in Barnstaple - 27th July 2013 and will then be avaliable to be picked up by any interested buyer. I may be able to come to some other arrangements re delivery / collection.

I will post some photos in a week or so when I get chance to take some more photos.

Therefore, if you are interested, please ask questions here or via PM. For any offers, please use PM only.

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard

Sorry to hear you're selling East Yard....But from your post I can see why....

Just glad I shall be lucky enough to see it in the 'flesh' at Barnstaple show in just over two weeks time.

See you on the 27th

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Gold

Richard, sorry to hear East Yarde is going to be moved on - a real pity you don't have space for it, it's a lovely bit of diorama style work. I'd love to be able to see it at Barnstaple, but we've a family commitment so no go for me :( 

Yes indeed
I will be sorry to see EY go...
But hope it goes to someone who may want to exhibit it...
to give us rmwebbers a chance to see it in the flesh :)

I know what you mean about space
I've got a new railway room, and more space than ever before
however, all my remaining layouts are in there
and I've no room to start my new layout! lol

Small layouts may indeed be less space hungry
except when you've got 6 or 7 of them ;)

Cheers
Marc

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

However, sometimes you need to take a step back.

Although EY has far exceeded my expectations, I can't really see me doing much more with it.

There have been a few comments about exhibiting, but somehow not quite what I want to do!

So, will be at Barnstaple in a couple of weeks and then who knows ....

I'm tempted to take some more photos and send off to one of the magazines ....

• Like 3

Hi Richard, I did expect to log on tonight and find it gone.

I have just sold my N Gauge Glenfinick, and my O Gauge Trebudoc,although that has one more show in October, and I have just lat a friend have what was Loch Leven that will be in the next Model Rail and has been transformed into Fiddlers Yard. So I too now have some room .

It hurts sometimes and you look at the work that goes into a project like this and the Hours you lay awake at night thinking up new ideas or solutions to problems, (or is this just me?) and then it is all gone for a few quid.

What ever happens I hope we will see it some day and then you can say I BUILT THAT. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Andy