East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic scenics Richard. It's like you've taken all your developed skills from Orchard Road and applied them in one magnificent, concentrated effort. I am very envious of your scenic skills.

Guy

Thanks. Building a small layout certainly focuses attention and incentive to get everything looking correct.

Most of techniques used are pinched from other people, but certainly helps borrowing a Grassmaster! There is a learning curve to getting the best out of it though!

Hi Richard

Looking REALLY GOOD, just oozing atmosphere. Please keep me posted.......(!!!????)

exmoordave

Thanks Dave! Yes, I will keep you posted! I can feel the metophoric arm-twisting!

Hi again,

I spoke to someone at the L&B show yesterday who found the very same thing happened to him....

I'm sure the problem won't happen with C&L's O guage point kit..... I'll let you know...

I recall speaking to a modeller who built his oo trackwork in-situ

laying the sleepers first, then ballasting before the rails are put in place

This also has the advantage of making the ballasting easier & neater...

This modeller said that sleeper curling never happened when trackwork was built in this way

I think this method is employed by Norman Soloman?

Of course, the difficulty is that you have to be working on the baseboard the whole time,

and can't make a point on your lap, while watchin the telly, in the lounge....

Nice set of pics again Rich

Cheers

Marc

I built the pointwork on Outon Road phase 2 in situ and found it all went down very easily. The points on phase 1 were built onto a paper template which was taped down to a board the sleepers were glued to the paper template and the whole thing cut out and stuck down once complete. I had no sleeper bending whatsoever with those. I dont buy point kits though and do build mine with copperclad in strategic locations though which helps keep things straight I expect.

post-6894-0-19166700-1309546870_thumb.jpg

Cav

• RMweb Gold

Nice point work Cav.

I made the point on East Yarde 'off-board' as a trial attempt, long before I started East Yarde. It was then left on the ceramic tile that I built it on for a while, before I 'found a home' on East Yarde.

I'd agree through, would be better to build the point in-situ on the board. Also, better results can be achieved with the flow of the rails and can extend the frog rails into the adjacent track sections.

I assume that you solder the rails to the copper-clad and add the chairs afterwards.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've finally completed the wiring!

To clarify, both boards are now wired and connected to a panel for my NCE Powercab and the Blue Motion Switch Machine has been wired to the point so that the frog polarity can be switched!

I will now be able to run engines up and down under their own power!

Next task will be to look at a supporting framework and fiddle yards at each end!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Realy like the black and white pictures of your models...

Thanks,

I will do some more in a couple of weeks time, when I get chance (off to Warley at the weekend, so no modelling, just 'playing' trains!)

The black and white do seem to capture the time span better as most photos I've seen from the era modelled are black and white.

• Like 2

Thanks,

I will do some more in a couple of weeks time, when I get chance (off to Warley at the weekend, so no modelling, just 'playing' trains!)

The black and white do seem to capture the time span better as most photos I've seen from the era modelled are black and white.

Might see you at Warley buddy...im there sunday.... :no:

• 4 months later...
Guest oldlugger

Nice work Mudmagnet! The model, on the other hand is really showing its age; the original review of this model alongside the Mainline Warship in RM still baffles me to this day, as they could hardly find anything to choose between one or the other. I know which one I bought after looking at their photos!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, hope you are well, that's a nice bit of weathering mate, I like them in Maroon as well.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

The maroon hydraulics do look good, but I can't justify getting any of these at the moment! I have too much blue stock already!

Very nice Mudders.  So when will we hear some more news from East Yarde?

Cheers, Dave.

Sorry no news on East Yarde, but just a suitable back-drop of the photos of the Warship.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening Richard,

In light of recent conversations between a certain Welshman and myself has there been anymore progress on East Yarde?

Either that or anymore stock acquisitions?  I know for one I'd like to see a bit more of this layout. There's some great scenics with a lovely atmosphere to boot.

Be good to see a new set of photos too.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Evening Richard,

In light of recent conversations between a certain Welshman and myself has there been anymore progress on East Yarde?

Either that or anymore stock acquisitions?  I know for one I'd like to see a bit more of this layout. There's some great scenics with a lovely atmosphere to boot.

Be good to see a new set of photos too.

Cheers,

Mark

+1 ;)

thanks guys!

Yes, Mark, there has been quite a bit of 'chatter'!

You're not the first person and possibly not the last to ask about East Yarde being exhibited!

To be honest, I need to finish the facia panels along the front to make it a little more presentable before I can do anything else.

I'm tempted to display as a static model, just occasionally changing over the stock.

Watch this space, but I've not ruled out exhibiting and if I get anything sorted, then I will let you know.

The only new stock has been featured on Orchard Road, but could find their way onto EY!

I will try and take some more photos over the weekend.

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've finally added new facia panels to the front of the layout, but these need to be painted and the edge of the scenery bedded in.

I also took the opportunity to photograph a few bits outside this afternoon. Not too many odd looks from the neighbours!

Subject to conversations with fellow club members and our exhibition manager (hang on a minute, that's me), I may bring East Yarde along to our club exhibition July 27th as a static display ....

post-7854-0-18757200-1370197138.jpg

post-7854-0-83216300-1370197140.jpg

post-7854-0-84790200-1370197143.jpg

post-7854-0-77162300-1370197146.jpg

post-7854-0-68545600-1370197149.jpg

post-7854-0-44815800-1370197152.jpg

• Like 8