East Yarde (now 2 metres, plus fiddle yards) - now sold

mudmagnet

Richard,

I think you should definately exhibit this layout...

It's simple, but its simply stunning too mate :)

Simple layouts have definately become more in-vogue of late,

and I'm pleased to see you have approached this with nicely judged restraint....

I too could almost hear that grubby 31

Now I just need to convince you to install sound into your locos.....

Cheers

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marc!

I might be able to persuade Captain Kernow to bring along to the RMweb day in Taunton next year!

May also make an appearance at our Barnstaple show in July - largely to fill a space ...

Sound in the 31, now that would be nice ...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

About time for an update. Not that there has been much progress - added three trees at the other scenic break. The first china clay wagon has been weathered (need to sort the couplings yet) and will be adding a few more later - there was only one in the shop. These type of wagons were used at least the late 70's, and when loaded, a tarpaulin was simply fitted over the wagon. When empty, the tarp was folded and left inside the wagon. Neither tarp has been made yet! I will probably have a folded tarp inside and then have a removable one for the loaded wagon.

post-7854-0-20518400-1339337069.jpg

post-7854-0-26495500-1339337072.jpg

post-7854-0-27644500-1339337075.jpg

post-7854-0-75866000-1339337078.jpg

post-7854-0-24735300-1339337082.jpg

• Like 15

Yes, smashing pics again Richard :)

I really like this lovely scene, and it suits the china clay traffic down to a tee...

What other wagons will you eventually run?

If you're modeling the 70's, I think there's a nice variation in stock

and if you look at the Cornish China Clay books, some nice small rakes of mixed wagon types too....

Good luck with modeling the tarps...

I did that with some 4mm wagons, years back

and I didn't find it easy to get it as convincing as I'd have liked....

Making the tarps removable could be a challenge too...

If it were me, I'd take the easy route, and have 2 rakes;

One with tarps on top, and one with them folded up....

Looking forward to seeing this one progress

Marc

PS. Have you decided on couplings?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, smashing pics again Richard :)

I really like this lovely scene, and it suits the china clay traffic down to a tee...

What other wagons will you eventually run?

If you're modeling the 70's, I think there's a nice variation in stock

and if you look at the Cornish China Clay books, some nice small rakes of mixed wagon types too....

Good luck with modeling the tarps...

I did that with some 4mm wagons, years back

and I didn't find it easy to get it as convincing as I'd have liked....

Making the tarps removable could be a challenge too...

If it were me, I'd take the easy route, and have 2 rakes;

One with tarps on top, and one with them folded up....

Looking forward to seeing this one progress

Marc

PS. Have you decided on couplings?

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments.

This line was predominantly china clay from Meeth / Peters Marland, so a few china clay wagons will be needed.

I think that you are probably right about making the tarps and I may well end up with two sets of wagons as suggested.

I intend to run these as coupled sets, so 3-links between with Sprat and Winkle at each end.

I think that the S&W give the best compromise between minimal distraction and reliable operation. I would be tempted with Alex Jackson type, but not sure about bending up the wire.

A few more opens are needed. For photos the wagons with the S&W can be left off!

Hi Marc,

This line was predominantly china clay from Meeth / Peters Marland, so a few china clay wagons will be needed.

I think that you are probably right about making the tarps and I may well end up with two sets of wagons as suggested.

I intend to run these as coupled sets, so 3-links between with Sprat and Winkle at each end.

I think that the S&W give the best compromise between minimal distraction and reliable operation. I would be tempted with Alex Jackson type, but not sure about bending up the wire.

A few more opens are needed. For photos the wagons with the S&W can be left off!

Yes, a good plan is to use pairs, or small rakes of wagons....

I've done this myself on a few examples

You also end up with being able to use the wagons with other types of couplings

e.g. you could run wagons on a non-stopping service, with a loco that only has 3 link..

Or you could leave tension lock type couplings on one end,

and use Stubbys method of attaching part of a paper-clip to the dropper,

as he cleverly does on Porth Bythan...

As my eyesight diminishes, I find S&W's are tricky to fit these days,

a plus to that is, once fitted, they are less obtrusive to my eye ;)

Could you use Bachmann clay hoods? From the brief look I've had,

the tarps look pretty damn good

Cheers again,

and please bring the layout to the next rmweb members day :)

Marc

• RMweb Gold

The paperclip idea was Brian Kirby's, I am only a grateful copier!

The Bachmann wagons do have good hoods - it's the wagons themselves that are not ideal. For example there are mould ridges across the buffer heads.

The paperclip idea was Brian Kirby's, I am only a grateful copier!

The Bachmann wagons do have good hoods - it's the wagons themselves that are not ideal. For example there are mould ridges across the buffer heads.

You certainly got the paperclip uncouplers working well tho Stu!

I suppose The mould ridges can always be filed down?

It's the hoods that are hard to model

and from what I saw, the moulding of that looked pretty good on the Bachmann model..

Cheers again :)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments guys!

The hoods on the Bachmann model - i.e. the ones with the 'tent' type are not correct for era / region being modelled.

Those running on the Torrington line late 70's / early 80's simply had a tarp over the wagon (I will have a look for some photos that I can post links to).

As I will not really be shunting wagons, semi-automatic couplings are not really necessary. One reason for using S&W is that both Ray (Yard Shunter) and Darren (Torrington) use, so wagons can be interchanged between the layouts. We are also using S&W on our club layout (Tawbridge).

I will speak to Captain Kernow about RMweb Day Taunton for next year. More and more people want to see East Yarde - I'm quite flattered actually that this has generated so much interest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The hoods on the Bachmann model - i.e. the ones with the 'tent' type are not correct for era / region being modelled.

Those running on the Torrington line late 70's / early 80's simply had a tarp over the wagon (I will have a look for some photos that I can post links to).

Hmmm - to use a stock phrase, "it's complicated...."!

Don't want to appear too pedantic, but:

The Bachmann model is what became an OOV (then UCV) on TOPS - a 9ft wheelbase tippler, which gained the tent "Clayhoods" around 1973.

There were some 'hoods marked for use for ball clay (eg from Meeth) and there's an image of a mixed rake of flat tarp wagons & clay hoods at Eggesford here - this would have come from Meeth. No date, but must be after 1976 (when the headcode numbers stopped being used) and 1982 (when clay traffic stopped).

The flat tarp wagons in the 1970s were usually OWVs which were basically normal 10 ft wheelbase 5 plank opens, rebuilt with roller bearing axleboxes due to the distances they covered (eg to Stoke). A nice rake here with a van (probably for storing tarps when removed) ands an empty rake here - usually had the tarps removed when empty.

There's a bit of discussion on RMweb about the differences here- admittedly related to 7mm models but useful anyway! It seems the Bachmann & Ratio tippler / clayhood models are incorrect as the majority did not have roller bearings.

I've got a couple of cheapish Hornby 5 plank wagons to represent OWVs, I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to change the axleboxes though. Ditto for the Bachmann hoods!

I will speak to Captain Kernow about RMweb Day Taunton for next year. More and more people want to see East Yarde - I'm quite flattered actually that this has generated so much interest.

+1 from me to that idea!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm - to use a stock phrase, "it's complicated...."!

Don't want to appear too pedantic, but:

The Bachmann model is what became an OOV (then UCV) on TOPS - a 9ft wheelbase tippler, which gained the tent "Clayhoods" around 1973.

There were some 'hoods marked for use for ball clay (eg from Meeth) and there's an image of a mixed rake of flat tarp wagons & clay hoods at Eggesford here - this would have come from Meeth. No date, but must be after 1976 (when the headcode numbers stopped being used) and 1982 (when clay traffic stopped).

The flat tarp wagons in the 1970s were usually OWVs which were basically normal 10 ft wheelbase 5 plank opens, rebuilt with roller bearing axleboxes due to the distances they covered (eg to Stoke). A nice rake here with a van (probably for storing tarps when removed) ands an empty rake here - usually had the tarps removed when empty.

There's a bit of discussion on RMweb about the differences here- admittedly related to 7mm models but useful anyway! It seems the Bachmann & Ratio tippler / clayhood models are incorrect as the majority did not have roller bearings.

I've got a couple of cheapish Hornby 5 plank wagons to represent OWVs, I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to change the axleboxes though. Ditto for the Bachmann hoods!

+1 from me to that idea!

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I have to admit that my knowledge of the china clay wagons is not very comprehensive and appreciate your comments. Certainly something that I need to look at more closely before I start buying more wagons!

Thanks for the links to the photos - I've not seen these before - somehow managed to miss these. Plenty of inspiration here!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gorgeous layout, how I envy your grass!! And C&L track really looks the business, makes me wish I'd used it myself rather than respace Peco.

Hi Gronk

Many thanks for your comments.

Having used C&L track I wouldn't go back to Peco for this sort of layout. The C&L flexible track is easy to use, yet you need to build your own points, but not particularily difficult if you take your time.

The Grassmaster is a wonderful tool, but does take some practice to get the best out of it. As mentioned before, I've built up layers of grass fibres to create the depth of colour and variation of thickness / length of grass.

I've been reading the recent scenic articles on BRM and will be trying a couple which may end up on East Yarde!

Hi Gronk

Many thanks for your comments.

Having used C&L track I wouldn't go back to Peco for this sort of layout. The C&L flexible track is easy to use, yet you need to build your own points, but not particularily difficult if you take your time.

The Grassmaster is a wonderful tool, but does take some practice to get the best out of it. As mentioned before, I've built up layers of grass fibres to create the depth of colour and variation of thickness / length of grass.

Hi again,

To gronk the shunter, I would say yes, the C&L track does look much nicer...

Wish Peco would improve the appearance of their track :(

and to Richard,

how did you find the point kit?

I personally don't like the sleepers

I find they're a tad on the thin side....

I had noticed some curling up of the ends of the sleepers!

and this was having secured them down with double-sided tape (a very sticky one at that)

I know of other modellers who have experienced this in 4mm

This is why when modelling EM years back,

I opted for ply & rivet sleepers...

To gronk again,

If you're reluctant to have a go at point construction,

maybe try an SMP point kit?

I've seen a few knocking around on ebay quite cheaply...

Oh if only PECO would improve their track....

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

I did have a problem with the sleepers curling upwards, thinking that this was because I made the point and then left it lying around for a while.

However, glued it down ok though.

As far as the thin sleepers are concerned, these are the same as the flexi track and similar to the SMP.

At least you don't need much ballast!

Incidentally, I glued the track and ballast at the same time - i.e. applied the glued, positioned the track (pinned down with drawing pins) and then the ballast is applied and gently pushed into the glue.

I found the kit quite straight forward to build - just follow the instructions.

This was the complete kit - i.e with the rail sections all machined and the Vee made-up.

Very nice layout you have built, Richard, Jock will be proud of you.

Love the grass & fencing.

Regards Richard Andrews

Hi Richard,

Good to hear from you.

• RMweb Gold

It really looks like glorious weather in East Yarde, then I looked out of the window and see it's pouring down with rain here again!

Keep the photo's coming, it really is a great railway you're building there.

Ah! Sunny Devon!

Well the sun does shine here sometimes, but miserable today! Nothing else to do but some more modelling (grass cutting etc will have to wait).

Hi Marc,

I did have a problem with the sleepers curling upwards, thinking that this was because I made the point and then left it lying around for a while.

However, glued it down ok though.

As far as the thin sleepers are concerned, these are the same as the flexi track and similar to the SMP.

At least you don't need much ballast!

Incidentally, I glued the track and ballast at the same time - i.e. applied the glued, positioned the track (pinned down with drawing pins) and then the ballast is applied and gently pushed into the glue.

I found the kit quite straight forward to build - just follow the instructions.

This was the complete kit - i.e with the rail sections all machined and the Vee made-up.

Hi again,

I spoke to someone at the L&B show yesterday who found the very same thing happened to him....

I'm sure the problem won't happen with C&L's O guage point kit..... I'll let you know...

I recall speaking to a modeller who built his oo trackwork in-situ

laying the sleepers first, then ballasting before the rails are put in place

This also has the advantage of making the ballasting easier & neater...

This modeller said that sleeper curling never happened when trackwork was built in this way

I think this method is employed by Norman Soloman?

Of course, the difficulty is that you have to be working on the baseboard the whole time,

and can't make a point on your lap, while watchin the telly, in the lounge....

Nice set of pics again Rich

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1