Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Warren Lane

bugs bunny

truly superb layout !

any chance of more info on weathering the container wagons, e.g how you do them ? what you use etc etc.

I have some of the Bachmann flats & need to do a weatering job on them.

And more pics please !

truly superb layout !

any chance of more info on weathering the container wagons, e.g how you do them ? what you use etc etc.

I have some of the Bachmann flats & need to do a weatering job on them.

And more pics please !

Many thanks for everybodies comments.

The weathering is based on prototypes i've photographed at Southampton Maritime.

A good photograph of the prototype really helps when you start to paint one...........

Here are some pictures to help anyone modelling a KTA

post-9929-0-02052700-1302113040_thumb.jpg

This wagon was undergoing repair

post-9929-0-13633000-1302113051_thumb.jpg

Notice the rust is heavier in the corners....

post-9929-0-02881400-1302113012_thumb.jpg

post-9929-0-63457000-1302113025_thumb.jpg

I will take some better pictures of my KTA's this weekend

the 90 looks really nice,one of my favourite modern era locos.

just been reading through this whole thread for about 10 pages, havent looked in for a while.

I love this layout, and Im not a big modern era fan.

reminds me of the yard at Garston in Liverpool.

and of one of my favourite box art paintings

3307_l.jpg

cheers

Mike

What a cracking layout this is. Definately spuring me on to getting my electric layout off the starting blocks. Nothing better than locos under the wires. Congrats on getting the hymek off of ebay I've been looking on there for a cheap one since last july!! In the end I was donated a Bachmann warship chassis last month which I'm currently in the process of building into my push pull 90. Not as much room in there as you think when it comes to it. Anyway keep up the good work I will follow this with interest.

Cav

Latest container on Warren Lane an unbranded Hanjin, that has seen some service.

post-9929-0-35147700-1302447275_thumb.jpg

But this container has taken its last journey :(

It is destined to be glued down in the yard to house one of the speakers for the cranes :P

This is the other side, of what once was a Bachmann Hamburg Sud 20'

post-9929-0-48648700-1302447302_thumb.jpg

I will paint another one tonight, and hopefully the Crane decoder will be fitted before next weekend.

Hi Alan,

Found 90 043 hiding in the vast array of sidings at Basford Hall this morning - notice the BR arrow and Crewe depot plaque have now been removed:

IMG_0186.jpg

Also found 90 046 - nice and easy repaint - no decals required!

IMG_0193.jpg

Looking forward to seeing Warren Lane in the flesh one day.

Jez

Latest container on Warren Lane an unbranded Hanjin, that has seen some service.

post-9929-0-35147700-1302447275_thumb.jpg

But this container has taken its last journey :(

It is destined to be glued down in the yard to house one of the speakers for the cranes :P

This is the other side, of what once was a Bachmann Hamburg Sud 20'

post-9929-0-48648700-1302447302_thumb.jpg

I will paint another one tonight, and hopefully the Crane decoder will be fitted before next weekend.

Errrrrr..... Those ARE model photos, right? :blink:

Not photoshopped...?

WoW!!!!

We are at DEMU showcase next year, .......

That is fantastic news Alan. I have been wondering how I am going to get to see this superb layout you have. Burton is just down the road from me, so you have just made it so much easier! Now I need to wish another year away!

Dave

Hi Alan,

The quality of your modelling is outstanding, those containers and the wagon weathering is simply brilliant and creates the right effects. Your work on the 90 is also very good. Might have to make a trip to showcase next year to see your layout in the flesh.

Thanks,

Mark

We need a clip!

Cheers, Pete.

Hi Pete

I will do one as soon as I get back from Stowmarket.

We have had a bit of a crisis last night...... getting ready for the show I managed to fry the sound decoder for the cranes :(

I phoned Howes first thing this morning and explained the situation and............crossfingers a replacement is on the way ( special delivery ) as I write this.

Tomorrow is going to be manic, Have got to pick up the hire van , when the postman arrives (crossfingers and toes) I have got to wire in the decoder and new speakers ( 4 ohms instead of the 100 ohms to match the new ESU V4)

Test everything. then load it all up and get up to Stowmarket no Worries :D

I hope this story has a happy ending....I can't praise the Staff at Howes Models enough! :good_mini:

Ouch!

I saw a program on HD Theatre this week, called "Mega ContainerShip", yeah, I know. It showed the unloading and reloading onto BNSF trains at Port Washington. On the Double Stacks a lighterman has this gizmo, look like an artillery shell - which they place on top of the first container, lock into place then when the second comes down on the car the pointy end disappears into the top container and the lighterman (in this case it was a woman) flick a lever and the two containers are locked together. They load the railroad cars with what look like huge forklift trucks BUT with the usual connections at the top of the container. Makes sense? They do not load the train direct from the ship.

Anyway look out for the program on one of your satellite channels.

Best, Pete.

Archived