Warren Lane

bugs bunny

After arriving from Warren Lane, 57 011 takes a well earned rest at Lawley Street before departing with 4L43 to Tilbury.:blink:

I could go on all night!!:P

Hi Jez

Brilliant :D

When I wrote Warren Lane - Lawley st, I was thinking of your picture :)

Jez do you still work at Lawley street

Kind regards Alan

Yes Alan, still at Lawley Street. Not much variety nowdays - the only thing to get excited about these days are the 70's.dry.gif

For prototypical services on your layout, locos we have had at Lawley Street over the past 5 years: Virgin class 57 on a rescue (Hauling a dead Freightliner 66), frequently hired DRS class 66s (and class 37s at Crewe) and an occasional EWS (DB) class 66.

When the EWS warehouse was in operation at Lawley Street, the weekly trip of Italian cargowagons, carrying vehicle windscreens, was usually in the hands of class 08s and 09s from Washwood Heath yard. In the latter months of operation, EWS class 66s were used and on at least 1 occasion 60 025 put in an apperance - suitably cabbed by yours truly.:D Pictures on the fotopic site under Lawley Street.

Jez

A little video of 57011 leaving Warren Lane

I think she sounds right compared to video's of the prototype on YouTube.....I have seen 57011 but in DRS livery and she was dead in train :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2noJ3cJMtRQ

There is another video we took today but will never be seen .......37688 reversing empty IKA's off the end of the Yard board (No fiddle yard attached) :(

Well Alan

Your video cannot be as bad as a year ago today while at the Stafford show seeing the owner of a layout driving his newly weathered Hornby 08 straight off the end of his layout and into the concrete floor after forgetting to put the cassette on the end of the layout.

Well it was his loco to do it too.

Great video Alan.

Pete

Hi Chris

They are really simple

I drew an arrow on a bit of masking tape, cut the middle out and placed the outer bit in the right spot on the road.

Then airbushed tamiya acrylic white in very light coats until the grey concrete was covered.

Then I peeled the tape up and reused it for the next one (one piece of tape did them all)

The next day when the paint was dry I pinched Maggies green washing up scouring pad :P and rubbed them down until they looked old and worn out

The other white lines are done in the same way.........just a lot more tape

The tyre tracks are just very diluted dark grey acrylic , airbrushed free hand

The Yellow diamonds are just masking tape and a thick yellow acrylic brushed on, and the tapes moved to the next bit.

It took a long............long.........time :( I don't know why I bothered the lorry drivers still park on it :)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply, I will certainly give it a try. Kepp up the good work, the layout is amazing.

Cheers, Chris

post-9929-0-45152800-1296847424_thumb.jpg

Kind regards Alan

For prototypical services on your layout, locos we have had at Lawley Street over the past 5 years: Virgin class 57 on a rescue

Jez

What about this combo then?

y0gi62.jpg

Jim on 302 dragging dead 010 from Rugby to LS in a blizzard at Whitacre Junction. :D

57011 Leaving Warren Lane with loaded liner

I didn't like the sound of the 57 compared to a 37 .....but its growing on me.:)

post-9929-0-81081600-1297445051_thumb.jpg

Busy scene at the yard with 57011 about to depart with 4R97

post-9929-0-52052500-1297445203_thumb.jpg

And after walking the whole length of the train a pic from the other end

post-9929-0-09324700-1297445226_thumb.jpg

I like this layout, Very good scenery and clearly lots of time spent on this! cool.gif

Many thanks.

I wish I could spend more time on it....... today I had to work when I should be wiring signals :(

My collection of 37's posing on the end of the fiddle yard

37607 37038 37688 37229

post-9929-0-22886500-1297526879_thumb.jpg

The yellow block under 37038 is a marker for the kadee magnets, I have 2 Receiving sidings (with magnets) in the fiddle yard, the other sidings are just loco storage

The area at the back is where the containers are kept, they should be labelled up Tilbury, Lawley St, etc.

post-9929-0-26291000-1297526901_thumb.jpg

Cracking head on photo of 57011 Alan.

Regards

John

Hi John

I like that view, but Chris Nevard deserves the credit.

He came to photograph Warren Lane for a future publication, and took some Great shots from under the bridge. :O

So I tried to replicate the angle but I'm not in his league.

I like little cameo shots like this

post-9929-0-80128300-1297601386_thumb.jpg

It is a Corgi Mercedes from Hattons, for a bargin £10, I've just checked and it is out of stock.:(

I got 3 and the plan is to repaint them in Maritime and Gold Star liveries to go with Pete Harveys ( PH Designs) skeleton container trailers.

Alan

This is one of my favourite scenes.

In the corner of Cox Container Services, is this stack of old pallets.

I spent longer doing this scene, than I do weathering a whole train.

All the pallets were painted different shades to represent age and most had planks removed or splinted.

And then I stacked them to look like Ron had just come up and sorted out a good one discarding all the broken ones.

I'm really pleased with it, but nobody will ever notice to busy looking at Cranes unloading trains :(

post-9929-0-17920800-1297709851_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is one of my favourite scenes.

In the corner of Cox Container Services, is this stack of old pallets.

I spent longer doing this scene, than I do weathering a whole train.

All the pallets were painted different shades to represent age and most had planks removed or splinted.

And then I stacked them to look like Ron had just come up and sorted out a good one discarding all the broken ones.

I'm really pleased with it, but nobody will ever notice to busy looking at Cranes unloading trains :(

post-9929-0-17920800-1297709851_thumb.jpg

I,m glad you pointed that out, I'll have to look out for that next time I see the layout. Incidently, are all of your road vehicles container trucks or do you have some others?

The beauty of scenes such as the pallets is partly in the fact that they go unnoticed!

When looking at a well-designed layout like this one it is like looking at a piece of art - you appreciate it first at face value and then the longer you look the more you notice. Next time you see it you notice more again. Sometimes people might even point out things you hadn't noticed before...

I think that makes the effort you've put in to that small scene well worthwhile. The eye very soon spots things which look wrong or out of place and it is quite a skill to observe real life carefully and closely enough to recreate something believable!

Great stuff!

Archived