Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Mine when its finished is meant to be just over half tide. The reasons  could be that we like to try our weathering skills on the quay wall,  nobodies thought of doing a full tide or at full tide there is still quite a bit of quay wall above the water.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Love all these layouts with harbour scenes but why is the tide invariably out with the boats below the quay?  Rarely is the tide in!

Brian.

Paraphrasing Andy P's reply on Porth Merryn, the water would all run off the baseboard edge.

• RMweb Gold

What would be really cool is a flat sheet of acrylic, with water effect on top, which could be made to slide up & down inside he harbour walls to mimic the tide's ebb & flow! :jester:   Of course it would only be useful in a harbour where the tide doesn't completely ebb away to nothing....    :no:  :scratchhead:

Edited by Ramblin Rich

• RMweb Premium

Love all these layouts with harbour scenes but why is the tide invariably out with the boats below the quay?  Rarely is the tide in!

Brian.

There goes finescale Brian again with the clever question.  :scratchhead:

Having worked at the army port of Marchwood and alongside both the docks at Shoreham and Ipswich. The harbour wall is normally well above the maximum level of a high spring tide so even with a normal high tide the water is some way below the wall top and small craft will be quite low down. Suppose it depends on the tides and what size ships are going to unload or load at the quayside.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

There goes finescale Brian again with the clever question.  :scratchhead:

Having worked at the army port of Marchwood and alongside both the docks at Shoreham and Ipswich. The harbour wall is normally well above the maximum level of a high spring tide so even with a normal high tide the water is some way below the wall top and small craft will be quite low down. Suppose it depends on the tides and what size ships are going to unload or load at the quayside.

As I said in the third reason in my previous post. In an awful lot of harbours at a normal high tide there were at least 6 if not more feet of quay showing. When one thinks about there had to be otherwise on Spring Tides the harbour area would always be flooded which would me at least 123 times a year  there would be local flooding. I suspect most harbours were built so that it had to be an exceptional surge tide at the time of Spring Tides that the quay wall was over topped.

• 3 weeks later...

I must apologise for a lack of posts. I've been away for week and this weather, sun one day rain the next, thunder the next (we are having a thunder storm now),football of course, all seem to have combined  and  killed the old mojo some what. So nothing new to report.

Alan, your weather sound like ours which is most odd for June although its going to warm up soon,  After the weather forecast, our high tide is just over 13' so no flooding today!  For model related news, I have just acquired three GW carriages for my 'finescale' tinplate layout! :declare:

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Before disappearing down to the Basildon show for the weekend helping out with SAD's layout Salmon Pastures I thought I'd answer Pauls request, a bit late I know, a couple of Photos of Kingsbridge, called:

"Waiting in the Sun on Hot Summers Day" What is one of those I here you say.

attachicon.gifwaiting in the Sun.jpg

attachicon.gifSunny morning.jpg

If your visiting the Baslidon Show take time to look at Salmon Pastures and look us up. I'm the shorter bald one with a grey beard.

Hi Alan

I have a busy weekend ahead of me but will try to visit. Bit of a problem the BMRC website is still advertising last years show. :O

Before disappearing down to the Basildon show for the weekend helping out with SAD's layout Salmon Pastures I thought I'd answer Pauls request, a bit late I know, a couple of Photos of Kingsbridge, called:

"Waiting in the Sun on Hot Summers Day" What is one of those I here you say.

attachicon.gifwaiting in the Sun.jpg

attachicon.gifSunny morning.jpg

If your visiting the Baslidon Show take time to look at Salmon Pastures and look us up. I'm the shorter bald one with a grey beard.

Super pics Alan - really captures the summer sunshine.

Les

Thanks for all the likes.

We had a great weekend at Basildon.

SAD again picked up best layout in show as voted for by the visitors.

What was pleasing was the number of layouts, including us allowing youngsters to operate some part of the layout.

• Like 2

Maroon Warship..............WOW................Now your talking, :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

Think I'll dig mine out from North Road Shed where it's sat for the best part of a Month, and run it tonight when my mate comes around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...