Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Thanks chaps.

Tom: Yes I did paint the backscene I was inspired by the one on Treneglos. The green I used was the same one that I used when I painted the original grass. The futhest hills first very watered down then each line of hills coming closer slightly less watered down. The trees and hedges were done with almost neat paint of the same colour (Tamiya Flat Green). The sky was done first with a roller, light blue emulsion at the top and white at the bottom blended in with a another roller. The clouds were splodges of white and a grey/broen colour again blended in with a damp roller.

Robin: I know it's too clean, It came straight out of the box. Its due for some weathering as is a National Benzole Tank (which is still in its box).

Billy: Thanks for the comment. Thats the effect I was after.

• Like 1

I decided to have a go at the early Hornby collett coaches which are not to bad a represention (for their time) apart from the coach ends sticking out and the moulded corridor connections.

So I pulled the corridor connections off and luckily there is a mould line on the inside where it butts up to the carriageside which gave me a line to trim the end down. I then cut off the corridor connection and will add one from Modellers Mecca with the balsa cut off. I've also trimmed the moulded pipe work from the roof and after checking in Russells book to see where the pipes should I'll add wire ones.

Before surgery

post-7090-0-19080400-1360841068_thumb.jpg

After surgery (the new corridor connection is only lightly bluetacked on at the moment)

post-7090-0-95411500-1360841472.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I decided to have a go at the early Hornby collett coaches which are not to bad a represention (for their time) apart from the coach ends sticking out and the moulded corridor connections.

So I pulled the corridor connections off and luckily there is a mould line on the inside where it butts up to the carriageside which gave me a line to trim the end down. I then cut off the corridor connection and will add one from Modellers Mecca with the balsa cut off. I've also trimmed the moulded pipe work from the roof and after checking in Russells book to see where the pipes should I'll add wire ones.

Before surgery

attachicon.gifcollett f1.JPG

After surgery (the new corridor connection is only lightly bluetacked on at the moment)

attachicon.gifcollett f3.jpg

Are you brave enough to tackle the handrails on the sides Alan ?

• Like 1

What a difference the new end makes! I had abandoned the idea of detailing up the Hornby bow ended Collets, but you've made me think again. I'll be very interested in how you proceed so that I can plagiarise your methods!

All the best.

David C

When I modified the ends of my colletts, I made such a mess of my fingers trying to cut off the gangways, that in the end I abandoned the original ends altogether.

The results once painted, and with a new gangway were a marked improvement.

post-7075-0-15545600-1360880271.jpg

steps and gangway yet to be added on this one

post-7075-0-86398900-1360880584.jpg

and completed - not the best pf photos (sorry)

Good luck with yours.

PS replacing the roof vents and the handrails really makes a difference

Edited by rovex
  • Like 3

Don't be tempted to flush glaze, with SEF or anything else.  Having been built in 1924 these coaches predated flush glazing by five years.

Chris

I don't know that I agree, the coaches may not have been flushglazed but the coach sides were not 6 inches think.

The benefit of SEF glazing, especiallym if used with a darkened edge to the plastic, is that it helps to mask the very thick coach sides.

Dean

You have had me diving for my books again, Rovex.  Having determined with a digital vernier that the thickness of the model's sides at window level is 1.2 mm, which is nearer four inches than six, I tried to establish from John Lewis's book "Official Drawings No. 3" [Wild Swan] how deeply recessed the windows would have been in a contemporary coach.  The best answer I can get is about half the thickness, ie a bit more than half a millimetre.  How thick the sides were in real life is a good question but if this is answered by the drawings in John's book the answer is well hidden!

I doubt that there will ever be complete agreement on glazing methods for coaches.  Vive la difference.

Chris

• Like 2

Advice about windows taken Chris.

The work slowly progress........................

Robin you'll be pleased to see that I have done the handrails on the side of the coach as well as the roof ones.

post-7090-0-81340200-1361033302_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-43131300-1361033342_thumb.jpg

I was amazed to see how close this coach was when I put it over the drawing in Russell's book. it looked almost spot on. Just a shame that Hornby have not upgraded them as they went from GWR Choc/Cream through Blood and Custard and I believe some where even Maroon.. But then would I have the satisfaction of doing it myself?

Edited for the odd typo.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well played young man.I think these models date back to the seventies and would really benefit from an upgrade especially with the price they retail at.As you've,and others have shown

use can be made of them in 2013.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Alan,

Your 38xx really looks the business (the photos on the previous page); very nicely weathered indeed enhancing a most handsome loco. Wencombe is looking as good as ever too!

All the best

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

Hi Alan

That was very entertaining.

Question, if I may? The two LMS fish vans, what are the origins of the models?

The six-wheeler is from Chivers Finelines, I suspect, and the 4-wheeler from Parkside. The six-wheeler looks very nice in Departmental Olive, and would be ideal for someone modelling a diesel depot...

• RMweb Premium

The six-wheeler is from Chivers Finelines, I suspect, and the 4-wheeler from Parkside. The six-wheeler looks very nice in Departmental Olive, and would be ideal for someone modelling a diesel depot...

Hi Brian

Cheers for that info.....an ex X-fish stores van in olive would look great but I am modelling a ER depot :no: