Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

Just in case you had forgotten I was detailing a Hornby Collett  coach. I think I've finished. so here is a before and after shot.

post-7090-0-36352600-1362343895_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-70489200-1362343917_thumb.jpg

Looking fairly grubby it is now demoted to the parcels train. It's passenger part acting as  early morning unofficial (ie non public timetabled) transport from Newton Abbot to all stations to Kingsbridge.

• Like 13

Guest oldlugger

Very effective weathering Alan. I've never seen these coaches before; they're rather attractive vehicles.

All the best

Simon

Hi Alan

I'm still greatly enjoying all you have achieved with your layout. In addition I do enjoy your captions, indicating your operation to a sequence/timetable. For some reason, this seems to have fallen slightly out of favour these days and that's a great pity. I feel that trains should run for a purpose, and to a "destination". Aimless running only has a limited appeal for me - there should always be a reason behind it. Just my humble opinion!

All the best and keep those lovely piccies coming.

exmoordave

• Like 6

Thanks for your comments chaps.

81C: the modified Hall is a Bachmann split chassis one. It is the loco I used for testing the track particularly the curves as, unusually, there is almost no sideways paly in the drivers, unlike most RTR steam locos. I to picked up an exLMS Dapol kit when we were at Biggleswade. It's yet to be made. Iknow the container needs chains and I must organise myself to do it.

Mickey: How dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exmoordave: I agree I've always felt trains should have a purpose.

Carrying on from when the Goods wends its way to Kingsbridge after leaving a couple of wagons the next arrival at Wencombe is the 6.30 arrival  from Slapton today towing a fish van behind 4679

attachicon.gif21a Branch and fish van.jpg

It then shunts the 2 vans left by the goods a positions the fish van ready for the 6.46 up fish train.

attachicon.gif23a pannier shunts.jpg

Meanwhile the down early morning parcels headed by 5153 and stops at Wencombe and can pick up any early workers for Kingsbridge.

attachicon.gif22a Parcels arrives.jpg

4679 attaches itself back to its train to await the arrival of the 7.20 to Newton Abbot abd 7.21 from Exeter. (time for a well earned cup of tea for the crew)

attachicon.gif24a Branch waits.jpg

The fish train arrives behind mogul 7316

attachicon.gif25a Fish arrives.jpg

The token is passed to the waitng parcels which then leaves for Kingsbridge

attachicon.gif26a parcels leaves.jpg

The fish trains picks up the waiting fish van.

attachicon.gif27a Picks up van.jpg

and the departs for Newton Abbot and all points North and East.

attachicon.gif28a Fish leaves.jpg

Alan,

It was a real pleasure seeing Wencombe in the flesh this afternoon,,, only one thing surpassed the railway and that was Hildi's luncheon!!

Wonderful,,,

& there is a lot more happening in North Norfolk than the 12" to 1' scale efforts by all them greasy types at Sheringham!!!!

As mentioned I think a lot of people could gain from a quick "Westerner" tutorial on weathering,, me in particular.

Again many thanks and everyone at Salmon Pastures looks forward to reciprocating at some point in the near future.

SAD

SAD it was a wonderful afternoon and Hilde's luncheon only capped by Wales beating Scotland as we downed our  *** pint.  I,m looking forward to some Ludham/Smallburgh cross fertilization.

Couldn't agree more,,,, you do the Mr Angry and I'll do the fertilization bit!!!

SAD :drinks:

One of many delightful touches this railway has is the variety of viewpoints and levels.  Be it a train crossing a stream or round a curve behind houses and small field or the wide sweep of the station area with creamery in the distance.  Then here we look up to the train with trees beyond and yet further up to road bridge, bus and further up than that to the roof of a building.  And is the track on a shallow descent here?  My poor little steam and hydraulic powered heart skipping a beat yet again!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

Not only is Wencombe nicely modelled but you are now giving it a purpose for being there by showing us the timetabled activity. Thank you and well done again.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Steve22 the track on Wencombe is level.. the apparent slight slope is due the camera's position. BTW good to hear from somebody from my home town.

Clive. i always had it in mind to work out a proper timetable. It gives running the layout areason for existing.

Ceratinly Robin.

The camera i used for the early timetable shots is my DSLR Nikon D50. However the last ones were done with my compact Lumix DMC-FS30.

The advantages of the Nikon is it has a greater Depth of Field when I put it on aperture priority and I can manually focus it if needed. The disadvatage is if I put the camera where I cannot see through the view finder It becomes a matter of guesswork as to what is in the shot.

The advantage of the lumix is that for shots that are difficult with the Nikon, eg, with the camera placed on the layout at least I can see what is in shot through the screen. The disadvantage is I have to rely on the camera's auto reading of the scene.

Most photos are taken on a tripod with a delay setting, but occasionally the camera is placed on the layout. With the Lumix I have a small flexi tripod so I can put the camera on a bank and stil have it level. I also use an Interfit 3lamp flourescent Int103 flood light as well as the layouts own lighting which is at the back of the layout (Flourescent 5ft 35W tubes).

I sometimes do a very small amount of "photoshopping" using Adobe photo delux, a programme that came with my first digital camera some 10 years ago. Normally only to trim the photo and get rid of the bedroom walls etc, and occasionally to straighten the photo, but sometimes to alter the colour balance, and also to reduce the photo size to be able to put them on various forums.

I tthink thats it :O

• Like 6

A quick look at using the Lumix and bendy tripod.

post-7090-0-05694100-1363540045_thumb.jpg

The picture taken

post-7090-0-53769800-1363540102_thumb.jpg

and then cropped

post-7090-0-08552300-1363540142.jpg

What I forgot to mention that all pictures are originally taken at the latgest picture size and the biggest amount of pixels.

• Like 15

At long last after a fair bit of on and offsaerching over the last couple of years I found a model of a Bristol LS in Western National colours. The search took so long as the model was produced in 1996.

It will be operating on the No 93 Dartmouth to Plymouth route which in Wencombe land does have a stop outside the Armada pub.

post-7090-0-58215700-1364054871_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Just been catching up on this topic, more great pictures as usual.  I notice you said that you use a Lumix compact to take some of your shots.  I too have one of those ( a DMC-FX35) but my results seem very ropey in comparison to yours.  

What settings and zoom do you use when taking the shots please? It might help me to take some better shots of my layout!